PDA

View Full Version : Hi from south Germany

sirprize
03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi folks,

I found AZ a few months ago and directly bought the plans for the Loderunner. And in 2 weeks I will finally have the time to start building it!

I just bought a few tools (angle grinder, welder, etc.) online for 280 Euro (380 $), as well as bearings etc. The tubing will of course be purchased at a local retailer, else the shipment costs would exceed the value.

My thanks go to GizDrak for his informative posts about tools and to lumo for his ebay tips.

I'm planning on installing a small 250W motor later on - I learned this by electrifying a mountain bike for a friend last christmas.

That's it for now. Take care!

Regards,
Michael

KoolKat
03-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Welcome Michael! :sunny:

graucho
03-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Hello and welcome Michael. I'm looking forward to seeing your build progress. Lots of help here when you run into problems. Take care.

John Lewis
03-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Welcome to the forum Michael. Remember to take and post pictures as you build. We love to see other members' progress. I should warn you that this hobby is addictive and once bitten by a zombie life may never be the same.:)

John Lewis

sirprize
03-23-2010, 04:48 AM
Hi everybody,

thanks for the welcome :)

This afternoon (in 5 hours or so), I will get a course in welding, which I never did. It comes in handy that I work as a teacher (math/comp. sci) at a vocational school. My colleague has agreed to teach me a little welding (hands-on, of course) while some of his students - mostly metal workers - are training for themselves. I'm already excited..

Regards,
Michael

SupaDave
03-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Very nice!! Hope you succeed!!

:scooter:

...and Welcome!! :punk:

sirprize
04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Hi everybody,

now that the nice, but time-consuming part of the easter holidays where we visited our relatives is over and my girlfriend is working again, I now have a few days to spend on my bike :)

First I want to give you a little heads-up: I ordered an "el-cheapo" stick welder ( http://www.voelkner.de/products/61481/Elektro-Schweissgeraet-Bt-Ew-150.html ) which my colleage disapproved of very much. Now that I tried it, I know why. Lesson of the day: Never buy a welder whose retail price has less than 3 figures! Thanks to the consumer laws in Germany, I was able to return it for a full refund.

Yesterday, I browsed through several hardware stores and finally found a gas metal arc welder for 200 Euros (reduced from 300) and bought it, along with a 10 Liter Argon-CO2 gas bottle for 150 Euros.

I also went to an excellent metal and scrap metal dealer which had everything I needed. There was just a little problem: they sold most things in a length of 6 meters (about 20ft) which was of course much too long. So I came back with my angle grinder and cut everything in pieces of 2 meters (see attached picture). All of the metal you see on the picture has cost me 35 euros. I find that rather cheap! :)

sirprize
04-08-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm currently tring to cut 45 degree angles into the tubing to make the square back side of the frame. It is not going great, I think I will need more practice with the angle grinder. And a new set of 40mm tubing, I guess.. ;)

sirprize
04-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Tired of working on the dusty floor, I went to the hardware store and bought a cheap workbench, which I had to trim by 10 cm so it would fit in my cellar where I work. As I wanted to try if manual cutting of angles yields better results, I bought a metal saw and the thing you see in the attached picture. More information is coming tomorrow, as it's almost 7pm and I've been working physically all day (cutting, welding, changing tires) :sleep1:

sirprize
05-03-2010, 12:36 PM
It's going much slower that I would have guessed. Meanwhile, I was able to cut the tubing correctly (see picture). Now I'm still not happy with my welding skills, as I needed to cut and grind the tubing down again twice.

BTW the wet grinder I bought - http://baushop24.com/doppelschleifer-gds-125-a_964_2696_index.html - absolutely sucks! Never again will I spend such a small amount of money on tools! Alas I still have some cheap tools I did not try yet, so I'm still in for some disappointment.

savarin
05-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Michael,
that grinder is only for sharpening small tools such as chisels, lathe bits etc.
If you have been trying to grind your steel cuts to shape it will work but not very well, too much pressure can stop the machine. The wheels they come with are usually too hard for removing heaps of metal.
I removed the left hand wheel (and cover) on mine and placed a tapered screw end for buffing wheels and use it primarily for polishing aluminium parts.
Again, too much pressure and you can stop the machine.

sirprize
05-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Hi savarin,

that explains a lot! In the case of this machine, even a little bit of pressure stops it almost immediately ;)

To use it for polishing seems to be a great idea, I'll keep that in mind.

Regards,
Michael

sirprize
05-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Today I tidied my work area a bit up by mounting the tools to the wall with those black plastic panels you see on the picture. On the other pictures, you can see the bike parts I have, including a part of the frame.