PDA

View Full Version : Hacking a Schwinn

Cheezy Rider
03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Did I hear somewhere on here not to use Schwinn bikes for hacking? I have two of them, and I swear that I heard that since they incorporate lugs, and not welded, that once you cut a tube from the next connecting part (like top tube where it connects to the head tube) there is a huge hole. If this is the case I might as well get rid of the two bikes, right?

Radical Brad
03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
Lugged frames are an issue if you want to use the bottom bracket and head tube, but as for brand name.... take no prisoners!

Brad

ken will
04-01-2010, 08:12 AM
It isn't going to win a beauty pageant but it works.

http://dohcbq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1poEFMHv8THUvuDBZ6FvUYJCMUvH72hhMVEzIfpzzTZKEtJXy 7AHAtP_mUhExYzvtbgNnqHW3_zuPK443zZoiSgRx3F_C0D_d9/schwinn.JPG

davec8656
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I hacked a 10 spd of my wife's and it has a lugged frame. A bit of a challenge making the BB work, but it is done and looks pretty good IMHO. After getting the majority of the lugs removed, I found some thin oversized fender washers, ground and massaged them to fit into the holes for a flush fit and less grinding after welding. As I said before, this project is the one I learn on, the next one will be a bit less taxing. DaveC:sunny: