View Full Version : My Build of the Delta Runner

04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I've had the plans for a while now and now thinking about building the rear portion of this trike since I'm still working on my welding skills. Looking through the plans, I came upon the building of the wheels and in the plans it shows using a wheel - I'm assuming that this was the freewheel hub as one has the threads on it and looks like the threads match the Freehub Adapter. Could one actually use that instead of having a freehub built?

DOH!!! Now actually reading the plans, I see that I'm correct!!! That would help in the cost of building this machine...at least it would get me a bit further.

The main cost right now is to purchase the bearings - which prevent much of the build - although I think I could manage to get the wheels built without the bearings...or at least the disks created.

04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Tonight I chopped up a donor bike to get a few parts ready for builds. After getting that done, I decided it was time to begin the process of building the DeltaRunner. I began by cutting out the rear pieces first and did some welds - didn't get pics of it, but I did get some after I welded. Which went much better than I thought it was going.

Rear frame with outside supports. (http://www2.mvjs.com:9000/images/bikebuild/P1010208.JPG)
Middle bearing support added (http://www2.mvjs.com:9000/images/bikebuild/P1010215.JPG)
Grinding down the welds (http://www2.mvjs.com:9000/images/bikebuild/P1010216.JPG)
Another shot of welds ground down... (http://www2.mvjs.com:9000/images/bikebuild/P1010217.JPG)
Okay - last shot of welds (http://www2.mvjs.com:9000/images/bikebuild/P1010218.JPG)

The welds are the best, but they are the best ones I've done so far. I thought the outside corners were going to get holes, but I only did one hole with all of it. I'll get the caps put on - grind down the rest of it and then shot a coat of primer on it so it doesn't get rust all over it.

Oh - that bench is what I used to cut my cement fiber siding. I'm eventually going to cut it down to make a 2'x4' or 2'x6' table on wheels. Reason for only 2' is that will fit behind the truck. I know a bench would be at lot more helpful in time wise so I can move the truck and start working instead of having to set the bench up or take the bench down with bad weather coming. Hail is not good...

This is a pic of the bike that I was fixing up to sell - however, the rear derailuer is shot, so now it's on the "bench" waiting for me to decide what I should do with it...I have a feeling it's going to end up being in the chop shop...
Chop shop or not??? (http://www2.mvjs.com:9000/images/bikebuild/P1010214.JPG)

Now I just need to save up some cash to purchase the bearings - but I'm going to look into building the wheels if possible so I could at least get on with some of the rest of the build, but since I don't have a lot of spare money...else I'll get busy building the M2.

05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
After a long wait of winter and working on the Maruader, I've returned to start working on this beast for my wife. I managed to drill out the axle holes, welded on the main boom (with some of the best welds I've ever had yet) and got some templates for the hubs "stuck" onto the pieces I need. So hopefully in the next week or so I'll be able to work on the hubs and get them done.

While working on one bike to clean it and re-grease it, I ended up having to by the Park Tool freewheel remover/adaptor - for only $10, it was worth it - I know, a bolt welded onto an old crank would work too - but this was quicker for me. Anyway, I got the "seller" bike taken care of and then looked at my stock pile of wheels. I had about 3 rear wheels that had freewheels - so I invested some time into taken those off. Two went easy, but one I had to use a cheater bar for getting the axle off and same for the freewheel. After that - I took the cutters to the spokes...yep, snip snip. 24" wheels are worth keeping to me, but maybe I should but I'm thinking spokes are something to make sure you have good ones and these wheels were well abused - one axle was really bent! In the end, it appears I've got 3 freewheel/hubs to use for the builds. Now I have to get them separated from "tube" in the middle. I'm really hoping they come apart nicely.

I'll work on taking some pictures as I continue to work on this beast, but don't see working on it much this week as I've got a class assignment to work on.

05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
I've made some progress on this beast.

* I've welded on the main boom
* Drilled holes for the bearings to be mounted
* Found some wheels with freewheels
* Got some donor wheels ready to be laced up
* Cut some "hubs" out of what appears to be 3/16" thick steel...

So the question is: Will this thick of a hub work? Or should I just forget it and get some of the correct thickness.

I'm now looking at making the hubs, but the thickness of the steel I have for the hubs appear to be 3/16" than 1/8" - so the question is will this work or should I just forgo these that I've got ready for drilling holes.

05-16-2011, 10:39 PM
.....I'm now looking at making the hubs, but the thickness of the steel I have for the hubs appear to be 3/16" than 1/8" - so the question is will this work or should I just forgo these that I've got ready for drilling holes.

schu777, I made the hubs for my DW out of 3/16" plate then ground the edges thinner. Post 4 thru 8 show what I did http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?4393-Almost-ready-to-Build-the-Delta-Wolf/page3 :builder2:

05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Imamedik - how far back did you grind them?

05-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Imamedik - how far back did you grind them?

schu777, I ground them so the spokes would fit, I think it is about 1/8th inch

07-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Hello Michael
In case your still looking for bearing for rear axle I got mine in line at "thebigbearingstore.com" They are about $11.00 each but they got here pretty quick. I also bought some shaft collars to create a mount for the disc brake on rear axle.
As to the rear wheel hub I used two 2" flat washers per wheel from Lowes. They had the 1/2 inch hole for the cold rolled steel I got from Home Depot. I pre-drilled the spoke holes by printing up the 18 holes on some clear stick on transparency. i used a free Cad program to set the holes. But you feel free to do it anyway you desire. There is no wrong way to do it. I did mine in 3/4" because I was a nearly 300 lbs when I started.
I have one wheel laced and ran into family issue. So it has been sitting for a while. I hope this helps your build.

10-13-2012, 11:23 PM
I've got way too many projects going on - this build has been sitting in the corner and while I wait for some parts to come in and save for some tires for the Viking, I decided I'd better get busy with this build - mainly so I can get the rear wheels ready for spokes. Since I need to order some spokes for the Viking/Warrior, I figured it would be best to order all spokes and pay for shipping only once.

Today I went out to the garage not planning to spend much time there, but ended up being out there most of the afternoon. It started with my 5 and 2 year old going out with me - which means I won't be able to grind or weld. So I started on getting the hubs ready by cutting out the pattern. After that, I looked at the rims I had - decided to look at some other wheels and found that I some nicer ones, but needed to strip the existing spokes/hubs out. I managed to get 2 wheels striped - one had freewheel and just a front hub on the other - the other wheels looks like I'm either going to have to buy a tool or have the bike shop remove the freewheel. After my 2 year old went in for a nap, my 5 year old stay out, but was running around the front so I could work on the hubs by cutting them more into a circle. After that, I had two close to a circle and decided to glue on the template and then pound in marks for the drill. Got both drilled out and started to make the pieces round. In the end, I was able to get the hubs made and completed! It took nearly 2-3 hours working on the hubs, but it was a win! So hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to tackle the next two hubs - if time allows I'll get the axle in place, cut to length and maybe, just maybe I'll get the hubs welded on - but most likely I'll run out of time.

10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Progress was made today - I realized that one of the hub flanges wasn't enough "meat" on the outside of the flange, so I made another one. I managed to rough cut three out, finished one of them and half way finished another. I will say the Harbor Freight step drill bit is a worthwhile purchase - just don't use it with any hard material otherwise you will end up having a nice plumb bob. I tried to use it on a bearing cup from a freewheel...don't do it, that is WAY too hard.

While the 2 year old (bedroom above the garage) was awaken from his nap (early) by his 5 year old brother, I had to find things that didn't make a lot of noise. One was cutting a piece off the new hub flange by hack saw. Another was pounding out the pressed in axle on the freewheel thread/hub flange. I also drilled out the holes in the new hub flanges. After I knew the boys were asleep (or should be) I went ahead and roughed out the hub flanges - rounded and thinned out and did the round out the spoke holes. After the boys came out for a while, I managed to get the axle cut to length, drilled the holes in the main boom for the bearing and weld on the outside hub flange. I wish I had a "hotter" welder to get nicer welds, but I think it will hold - after I quit welding, I'd look on the outside of the flange and it would be nice red. It's not the prettiest welding, but a little clean up and some bondo, it will be good.

Today I saw the price for 4 of the hub flanges - honestly, if money isn't an issue and you are confident on making good welds, I'd order them instead of making your own. Now if money is tight and you have time - go ahead and make your own - just a bit more to be proud of when you are complete with this trike.

PS: Pictures - yeah, I thought about it but when I was ready to take pics, I figured my wife was taking a nap and I didn't want to wake her (hey, you try feeding a 4 week old baby 2-3 times a night and be restful).

10-15-2012, 09:32 AM
I will say the Harbor Freight step drill bit is a worthwhile purchase - just don't use it with any hard material otherwise you will end up having a nice plumb bob. I tried to use it on a bearing cup from a freewheel...don't do it, that is WAY too hard.
Today I saw the price for 4 of the hub flanges - honestly, if money isn't an issue and you are confident on making good welds, I'd order them instead of making your own. Now if money is tight and you have time - go ahead and make your own - just a bit more to be proud of when you are complete with this trike.

PS: Pictures - yeah, I thought about it but when I was ready to take pics, I figured my wife was taking a nap and I didn't want to wake her (hey, you try feeding a 4 week old baby 2-3 times a night and be restful).

Sorry about your step bit Michael. I try not to buy anything from HF that has a cutting edge on it. I've bought a lot of things from HF that worked fine except the Chinese steel just doesn't hold an edge.
Nice to see you are coming along with your build so well.

PS It didn't happen without a picture but I understand about not waking mom.

10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
The step drill bit works really well, so well, I stopped by this morning and got another one - as long used on mild steel, it shouldn't be an issue.

Pics - yeah, need to be more diligent about it - as I like looking at pics, but I just don't take the time to stop and take a picture.

10-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Don't even bother using HF step drills on mild steel. My brother went through 2 of them trying to drill 8 holes in mild steel when he came down and we worked on building a new bumper for his Jeep.

Buy a quality tool once with a good warranty.

10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Well, the second one is junk now - I don't understand how the first one work find on two, yet tonight it didn't work well at all - maybe the piece was a bit harder than normal? Oh well, honestly, I am about done with harbor freight stuff, as it seems, more junk than what it is worth.

I did manage to get the other flange tack welded on while the boys were racing outside...

I'm going to have to stop working on the bikes for a while as I need to build some marble ramps for my sons for christmas - which is coming pretty quick!

04-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Wow – quite an old thread of mine, but I was inspired to get busy with this project again. I don’t recall of when it was, but I managed to get the flanges welded onto the axle. My inspiration came last week when I was shopping for shoes and helmets – after stopping at my main bike store, I went to another and while there, I saw a trike and sat down on it – felt good and got me to thinking that I need to get this bike done. So after that I managed to get things going. I realized that the thickness of the flanges were just a hair too much, so I mounted the axles in the bearings and spun them as I used the grinder. Now they were looking good and had to re-drill to make the bevel again. Next was to paint the hubs to make them look pretty. After they dried for a day or two, I started the process of lacing them up. I used the book (http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php) to learn the best way to build the wheels. In my small collection of wheels, I managed to have the “RARE” type of wheel and I tried to build them, but in frustration, I moved onto some other steel wheels – heavier, but the type that would work best for now. As for the book, I’d HIGHLY recommend spending the money for it – a wealth of information in it and the building process is a bit easier to understand than it is on Sheldon’s site. Also - you can get newer "versions" of the book as the author makes changes! Anyway, I now have both hubs laced up with tires on them and wow – finally past that point!

In my last post I made some comments about Harbor Freight’s step drill bits – yep, still JUNK, just adding another item to the list that is JUNK. This last fall I took 3 of the 4.5” grinders with a wire brush to clean off some douglas fir timbers (to build a woodworkers bench) and managed to fry ALL three of them!!! Forget about buying the Harbor Freight stuff, go to Home Depot or Lowes or wherever and purchase a grinder for twice or three times what those junk things are – it will outlast the Harbor Freight by 10 fold!

Next on the build process is to start working on the front wheel and get that done – along with the drive train. My one concern is with the freewheel. I managed to get a freewheel from an old hub, filed out the center enough to fit loosely on the axle. My concern is that part seems to be very hard and concerned about how it will weld onto the axle…as I’d really hate to mess that end up and have to re-do the whole axle/hub again.

04-10-2014, 08:57 AM
Last night after supper, my kids wanted to ride their bikes in the garage - so while they were doing that, I managed to file down the front boom to be nice and square to the main boom. After the boys were put to bed, I pulled things out and started working for the night.

First up was finding a post for the seat – unfortunately I managed to throw away all the old seats and posts – why, due to room issues in the garage. However I found a nice handle bar where the end fitted into the seat perfectly! I cut off 2-3 inches with an angle to match the seat post on a normal bike – not for sure why, but why not. I cleaned off the paint and the spot on the boom to have a clean welding area…if you are not doing this, then take that extra 2 minutes and do this – your welding will improve!

After the seat tube was welded on, I moved on to the holes in the head tube, as I purposely didn’t try to cover them with the front boom as it wouldn’t covered both of them anyway and would have been difficult in filling the holes with the boom in the way.

While the seat post was cooling, along with the front boom/head tube – I pulled out my bottom bracket and started doing the clean up from the being cut off the donor bike. Another plug for avoiding Harbor Freight – I’ve been using the grinding disk that I got with my new angle grinder, they are much better quality than the harbor freight ones – I can’t even tell that I’ve been using them grinding on many parts already.

Once the seat tube was cooled off, I took the seat and mounted it and tighten it up so I could have a “seat”. I measured out where I wanted to put on the front boom. I cleaned up that area with my well abused wire brush (pics later). I then took the cutting wheel and cut the top and the sides, leaving the bottom still attached to the front boom – I then cut in front of the boom, on the bottom on both sides and then about 2 inches in front of the actual cut, I cut it off leaving a part that could be folded up to cover the hole in the main boom.

Before mounting the front boom, I had to clean up on the head tube – so I put on the grinding wheel and did some minor clean up – as I don’t like removing too much of the welding area. The sanding disk cleans up things nicely. After that was done, I got some angle iron from a cut up bed frame and clamped on the front boom to the main boom. The time that I spent on filing the front boom paid off – the best fitting joint I’ve EVER had. Once everything was lined up, I did some tack welds prior to putting on the fork/tire to make sure things were lining up. However, the little flap I left for covering the hole was in the way of the tire, so I had to fold it up. Using my propane torch, I heated that area up red hot and using a hammer, I tapped it up enough to clear the tire, but not enough to get in the way of the welding of the front boom to the main boom. I checked the front tire to see if things lined up good and proceeded to weld the front boom on.

After the front boom was welded on, I then heated the tab again to a nice red hot and hammered it in while keeping the heat on it. This worked really well and I highly recommend doing this on any of your builds, just plan ahead and allow for that extra amount on the ends where you need to do this. Might take a bit of time, but a lot easier to do then to hold and weld at the same time.

As you can see in the pics, I finally have a rolling frame and things are progressing nicely and I’m hoping that I’ll be able to make some good progress on Friday as I’m planning taking that day off from work.

Yesterday I ordered some parts – the main thing was a freewheel adapter with two set screws. I decided to do this as I wasn’t very confident in getting the hacked up one welded on very well (although now I think I would) – at least this way I can try it out and see how it works and if the set screws aren’t holding or I put too much power into it, I can weld that beast on. I also ordered some grip shifters, a 13-34 freewheel, tubes and some brake cables. Hopefully I won’t need to make many more purchases other than some paint.

http://s25.postimg.org/9mkhlm2a3/IMG_20140409_214711_572.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/9mkhlm2a3/)

http://s25.postimg.org/va9fw22ob/IMG_20140409_214735_103.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/va9fw22ob/)

04-14-2014, 04:29 PM
This weekend progress was good, but ended up with a slight setback.

As of the last status - I managed to get this done:

Seat back – cut and welded on the seat back onto the main boom. Took a guess at the angle and seems to be pretty good. I also put on a 3/4 inch plywood sized according to the plans except I made it longer to fit what I need.

Bottom bracket – put on the tabs and mounted onto the main boom. While at the “Recycle Bike Shop”, I found a crank set with a length of 152 – so I mounted those on and look to be pretty good.

Steering head tube and handle bars – I got the steering tube all cleaned up and mounted onto the main boom. Next came the handle bars. I found an old seat post and after cutting the top off, I found that the handle bar stem fit just perfect into the seat post. So I decided that would work pretty good – I took another handle bar stem and cut/ground a spot for the seat post bar to fit. So in doing this, I now have two spots to adjust the height of the handle bars – angle I don’t – but can adjust that with cutting it/welding.

The steering linkage went with no problem – simple with the eye bolts. If I have another build with this type of linkage, I think I’d just have one end with a eye bolt and just have the other end be fixed.

Disk brake mount – I slowly took my time in creating the hole to fit the 5/8 inch axle – then slowly took time to drill the holes for the disk. After I had it all done, I cleaned it up a bit and then welded the beast onto the axle. The slight setback came yesterday when I mounted the disk and found that the disk has a slight wobble. Now the way to correct it – I posted in the main discussion of methods to solve this. Right now I’m thinking that I’ll be building a mount to hold the angle grinder with a screw to move the grinder slowly in. While the grinder running, I’ll spin the wheel, slowly advancing grinder, resulting in a flat surface on the mount for the disk. The nice thing is I used a 3/16 thick piece.

On Saturday, my freewheel adapter came in the mail. How nice it will be to mount this baby on without having the problem of “wobble” that I do in the disk brake mount. I took a magnet and the test passed – I’ll be able to weld it on if I have lots of power going to the wheels.

All my other items are going to arrive Wednesday, so other than the adjustment I need to do on the mount, I’ll be making a truing stand so I can adjust the front wheel. Plus it looks like I'll need to move the seat forward, as I didn't leave enough room for the seat back.

PS: Pics of the current progress:

http://s25.postimg.org/5ul8hvojz/IMG_20140412_142302_217.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

http://s25.postimg.org/6vlh705jj/IMG_20140412_142314_266.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

04-16-2014, 09:06 AM
Yesterday when I got home, I went down to my woodworking shop and pulled out my dial gauge to determine how much the disk brake was out of whack. Turns out it was around 60 thousandths out of whack, which is around 1/16". I decided to see how much I could correct it by taking my sledge hammer and rod, hitting the side of it in the worse spot. Found with a good whack, I could correct about 10 thousandths.

Process of doing this - get to where you can mount the gauge in one spot where it won't move. Next find the spot that is the "zero" spot. In my case, I had the gauge on the right side of the mount and pounding on the left (toward the gauge) so I found the spot where it was the greatest amount (increasing on gauge - pushing in) and moved my dial to set to zero. I double checked the "zero" spot - once confirmed, I took a marker and marked on the disk an "X" to mark my zero spot. Next I found the least (decreasing on gauge) amount and made a different mark. At that point I took my hammer and rod and did the pounding. After that, you need to "reset" your gauge as it could move and such - once that is settled, move the wheel/disk back to your "X" for zero, adjust the gauge back to zero and then spin the wheel/disk to see if you have improved the area. If so, continue pounding in that area and around it until you get near the area of thousandths you find acceptable, in my case, 18 thousandths was good.

In the end, this was something quite simple to do - buy you really do need to have a dial gauge that measures by the thousandths to get this dialed down. I could have gotten it down to 5 thousandths around the whole disk, but I thought that if I couldn't see a noticeable wobble by naked eye, it was good enough.

04-23-2014, 09:47 AM
Not much to take pictures of as progress has slowed and pics won't show much change. I've managed to get the mount for the disk brake - yet to be seen if it will position the brake on the disk nicely or if it will need to be "tuned". Yesterday I managed to get the rear derailleur mount put on, however it is hitting the 1st and 2nd gear unless it is stretched out with a tight chain. I'm not really for sure how to fix it, but I"m thinking that I'll have to cut the mount off and make a new one, but have it be 1/2" to 1" lower than it currently is. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

04-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Yesterday I got home and managed to get the rear derailleur to work through all the gears. I also got the front derailleur working too. I remounted my right wheel (disk brake) and put on the brake, remounted the seat and went through all the different things to ensure all was tighten down and went for my first ride.

Here is the list of things to work on or fix...

Rear derailleur - need to adjust some more as it had issues getting into that 1st gear.
Bottom bracket - need to put some thickness where it sits on the boom, as there is a gap allowing it to move when I applied some cranking power. Plus I also need to figure out a nicer way to route the cable.
Disk brake - as I mentioned, I had to "pound" the mount some to get it in a better line up - last I did this it was at 20 thousandths of an inch out of whack - I think now I'm going to see if I can get it around 5 thousandths as even that little bit would help in the amount of brake I can have put into it.
Front brake - need to adjust the brake, as it doesn't have enough stopping power, some, but not enough to hold me on the hill
Check the spokes on all the wheels to see how they handled the first ride. Might need to go through and do some tweaking on the tension of the spokes. Need to read my book about the roundness of the wheels and how to adjust for that.

Overall - I think it's going to be a fun ride, will take some time for legs to adjust to it. Hoping that I'll be able to get all the bugs worked out this weekend, but other things going on with the family might prevent it being done.

Here is a pic of DR when I was working on the rear derailleur...

http://s25.postimg.org/l95m0kcgf/IMG_2210.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xb0zuplor/full/)
img (http://postimage.org/)

05-19-2014, 01:28 PM
After several weeks of doing things around the house – I managed to spend yesterday afternoon working on the problems I found when I did my first ride.

Rear derailleur – after doing some measurements of where it is and such, I cut off the mount, compared the mount with one of my other bikes and realized that I had it forward of the axle instead of being behind. I got it close to where I can get it mounted back on the frame.
Bottom bracket – managed to get a piece welded on top of the boom to close in on the holes for the mounting, as I put too much space in.
Disk brake – I managed to get from about 25 thousandths down to 7 thousandths – so now when I spin the wheel, I cannot see a wobble.
Front brake – I had to take everything off, so when I start put things back together, I’ll get more power put into it.

I’m hopeful that by this weekend I’d be able to take it for a nice ride around the neighborhood and if things go well, maybe a longer ride along the trails.

05-19-2014, 02:41 PM
Hi there Schu77,

Glad to hear the build is progressing and that you are on top of the problems.
Enjoy the next ride.

Radical Brad
05-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Good work, thanks for the photos!

05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
For the rear derailleur, I cut everything off and welded on a "new" strait piece, then started to line things up and realized that what I was planning wasn't going to work. I took a piece of 1" tube and cut and welded onto the new piece where it would fit onto the side instead of the back like did before. Well, yesterday afternoon I started looking at the line up. I had to put the derailleur on several times, hold it to the frame and see how it lined up - initially it was WAY off. I took a new sanding disk and started to sand on the places where I needed to to get a better fit. I eventually did. I got it all welded up, hooked up the now too short chain and started playing with the shifting - which I think it is doing a better job now, but need to go back and review those videos from prior posts. I'm still hopeful that I'l be able to get some time to ride it this long weekend, but depends on the other activities/weather.

05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Last night I was able to spend some time working, I lengthen the chain and did some shifting and got it fairly decent in shifting. I then got the disk brake mounted and spent some time and got a bit frustrated, but end result, got it working flawlessly. Hooked up the front brake and tighten it up some - still need to adjust the pads to line up better and most likely will need to replace with new pads, which would give better braking. Only thing that didn't really work was the front derailleur - which didn't matter for another test ride. Mounting the seat revealed that it hangs too low and gets into the chain. Which didn't stop the test ride that night. Other than the shifting getting blocked a bit by the seat and rubbing, it was good.

So this morning after getting the mowing done, I managed to get the seat re-worked and put the cable in a different spot on the front derailleur. After lunch I mounted the seat and saw that I barely had put in enough. I decided to go ahead and take it for a ride around the block and found that the chain isn't in the way unless I change the angle of the seat. The shifting worked really good - even was able to get the front shifted into the mid ring. After the large loop around the neighborhood, I decided it was time to change into something more suitable for riding. I noticed that I needed to adjust the handle bars, as they weren't quite straight when the wheel was. Also noticed that I could mount a water bottle holder - so I did. After that, I took a 8.5 miles ride and everything worked really good - no issues other than I need to adjust the front derailleur shifting. Once getting home, I went inside to see what the family was doing and went to the backyard for a moment, when coming in I saw the garage door was open and saw my wife sitting on her trike. Success! Well, she didn't go for a ride, but if the weather holds out on Monday, we'll go up to the school lot and let her and the boys do some riding around.

We even stopped by Lowes this morning and got the wife to choose some paint - after I get some miles on the trike (looking for around 75) and hoping to get wife to do around 20 miles with a 5 mile ride in there to see if any other changes are needed. If not, then I'll shoot some paint on it and get it all ready for a summer of riding - I hope!

05-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Good times!

05-24-2014, 07:49 PM
Yea another sucessful Zombie build. So what color does she want it, or are you holding out for a photo finish?
May it give you so much fun riding it that it gets 200 miles on it before it gets paint. Have fun.

05-27-2014, 06:51 AM
As for color - I'll let pictures show what it looks like, but that will be a while. Yesterday I was going to take the trike up the school to let the wife/kids ride, but found that one of the rear tires was flat. I'll have to spend tonight to figure out what is the reason for it - hopefully it is something simple like a thorn or piece of glass. Afraid it is due to the rim/spokes...

06-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Update: Last week I took the DeltaRunner to work to show off my work to some co-workers. At the end of the day I came out and notice on the weld with the seat back/boom was a crack forming - I couldn't tell if the main boom was pulling up with it or not - so I took off very slowly and rode very cautiously home - took 45 minutes to get home where normal speeds would be half that! So Saturday I had some time to look into it, I cut off the seat back and found that it wasn't pulling from the main boom - so good there, but after grinding down the welds I found that the main boom has a "cave-in" coming from the bolt for the pillow-block bearing. So after that, I decided to quit for the day as it was quite a long day at that point and no need to make a mistake. I'm planning on taking part of a bed frame and weld it onto the top/side (opposite side of freewheel) and that should strengthen the beast in that area. I'm also planning on moving the seat back up by a few inches along with the seat post too - which moving that seat post will be about the 5th time.

If I get time, I'll try to take some pictures tonight of the beast before/after.

06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Yesterday was the first time I had a chance to work on the DR - Monday was baseball practice for my son. Tuesday we had major storm come in - 20 miles north got baseball size hail - car dealer had 162 million in damage! Wednesday through Friday - lost track. Saturday spent getting sons bike put back together after painting it - was lavender and now it a nice red. Yesterday I went for a 26.2 mile bike ride on my road bike - then had about 45 minutes of time on the DR. I managed to get the piece I put on to hold my bucket for ride to work cut off, cleaned up the spot of the welding. Then moved to the seat back, cleaned up the angle to make it nice and straight and take some of the angle away that was there and moved it up as far as I could in hopes to get my weight forward to avoid lifting the front wheel when I put initial power (lots of it) in to it. Next will be mounting of a bike rack so I can hang my buckets on the trike, as I'm looking to do about 10-15 rides into work to get any other bugs worked out before I tear it apart an paint it.

Ugh - hopefully I'll have some time tomorrow afternoon to work on that.