PDA

View Full Version : Getting a good helmet

babelloyd
05-05-2010, 03:13 AM
Hi folks,

I just did my first weld! It was with flux-core MIG, and I suddenly understand so much more about what people are talking about now. (I'll post after-grinding pics eventually. I didn't take before-grinding pics. Sorry!)

I was using a non-auto helmet. What a nightmare. So now I must have an auto helmet.

I found this one: http://www.princessauto.com/welding/welding-safety/welding-helmets/goggles/8197246-solar-powered-digital-welding-helmet?keyword=welding+helmet

Here's the description from the webpage:

~~~
"solar powered digital welding helmet"
Digital display control panel
Variable shade control #9 to #13
Variable sensitivity, delay, and shade
3-13/16" x 1-5/8" viewing area
Low battery indicator

Price $179.99
Discount -$80.99
Sale Price $99.00
April 30 - May 10, 2010
~~~

It seems like a good deal to me. Online, the other auto helmets I've found were $90, $130, and $150, and they weren't all fancy digital like this.

What do you all think?

schu777
05-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Do you have a Harbor Freight nearby? If so, go get a auto dark helmet there - I got one with a sale they had for $40 I think - works pretty good. Now I can see where I need to weld and not guessing...

mark barker
05-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Totally dumb question coming up.... Why would you want (or need) a digital display on the helmet?

(btw, I've not started welding yet, so I've got all this to come, hoping to save some money by learning from other folks mistakes!)

Locutus
05-05-2010, 09:42 AM
There's an online store, can't remember the name, where I bought an auto-darkening helmet for about ten bucks. Works just fine. Does anyone here remember the name of the tool store where they have dirt cheap (mostly remanufactured) tools? (Not Harbor Freight).

babelloyd
05-05-2010, 09:47 AM
@schu777: No, there are no Harbor Freight stores in the Edmonton area. Also, their website doesn't seem to ship to Canada. It's unfortunate.

@mark barker: I suppose the digital display makes things easier? I know the low battery indicator would be better than finding out that the battery is low just by the lens not darkening or not darkening enough. In any case, this helmet's sale price is $10 more than the regular price of the next-cheapest auto helmet I can find ($99 vs $89).

babelloyd
05-05-2010, 09:48 AM
@Locutus: Wow, yeah, it would be good to know the name of that store.

ken will
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
The one I got from northern tool for $50 is solar powered (no battery to worry about)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200311850_200311850

babelloyd
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
No battery? Oh. All the solar-powered helmets I've seen have batteries. I thought that the battery powers the auto-darkening lens, and that the solar panel (a nice renewable and free energy source) charges the battery, instead of charging the battery via a wall outlet.

Anyway, I was glad to find out that Northern Tool, while not being as northern as Canada, does ship to Canada. $72.80 to ship to Edmonton, Alberta.

babelloyd
05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh yeah, actually, on the link Ken Will gave, the description says "Battery Included: Yes, but cannot be replaced". A welder friend tells me this is not so great because once the battery dies, the helmet is useless. I'm guessing that the battery is "dead" when it no longer holds a charge for very long.