PDA

View Full Version : Custom Blade forks

Tinker
05-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm planning on making a fork from a U-shaped bent piece of 1/4" x 2" mild steel flat bar.

I was stumbling around the net, and saw the older Schwinn bikes having forged forks, and thought it would be a good idea. My question is, would it be stronger than a tubular bmx fork with 1/4" dropouts (i realize it would depend on the strength of the fork tubing/welding as well.)? Or, would it be too much weight gain for the sake of very little durability increase?

This is for a chopper build i'm currently working on.

98layinframe
02-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Theres normally very little weight on the fork of a chopper front wheel simply due to the stretched out design. Why do you want to use a piece so heavy?

Ticktock
02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
There may not be much weight on a front wheel of a chopper, and the 2X1/4 is stong enough to hold the bike up, but it is not strong enough sideways!!! It will bend sideways very easily, and that affects steering, wheel stability, and safety.
It will also weigh more than a tube fork at a guess , as 2X1/4 weighs close to the same as 2.5 dia inch tube with 1/16 thickness. And thats a a big fork tube. It may be possible to get an oval shaped tube that would be more suitable, and get close to the blade look you are after.
If you told us the length of the fork, it would help !
Steve G, Beijing