PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Essex!

Ferrina
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi AZer's,
I'm totally new to this forum and overwhelmed by the AZ designs on here. I really like the high roller, but looking to build something lower. I've already built two Python low-racers but they aren't suitable for road use in my neck of the woods. I'd like a low, stable and rugged recumbent that is at home on the road, but able to go through woodland fire tracks. Full suspension would be my first thought, with the possibility of carrying some camping gear.

My previous Pythons are linked here: http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/Stanley-Lowracer/

Hoping to build something Atomic very soon.

Cheers!

Ferrina
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I also have a youtube site with a few video's of my Python riding.

www.youtube.com/6f00t4tv

mark barker
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Hey, good to see someone else from this side of the pond! Loving your recumbent, although I'm not sure I'd want to ride it around here either.

Ferrina
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Hi there! Cheers for that. Yeah, it's very low, only an inch ground clearance, but great fun on flat tarmac in the local skate park and quite fun across a playing field!! I've also got a trike conversion boom, in case I feel lazy and want to use my power kite on the beach!

graucho
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Hello Ferrina welcome to the group. Very nice ride. We all like to watch a bike grow from nothing so share your build with us when you get started on a new build. Cheers!

Ferrina
05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Hello Ferrina welcome to the group. Very nice ride. We all like to watch a bike grow from nothing so share your build with us when you get started on a new build. Cheers!

Thanks Graucho.

I'm just deciding what to build next, probably a 20" or 24" version of the High Roller.

I will be photographing and documenting the build on my Blogger page.

Cheers!

KoolKat
05-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Welcome to the AZ family! :rockon:

velotux
05-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi Ferrina.

Welcome! I'm in Southend. There are a few local zombies. Welcome to the krew.

All the best.

Tim

Ferrina
05-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Cheers Tim, I guess Southend sea front is one of the longest and flattest areas around here to ride in relative safety? I live very close to Thorndon country park, so I want to build something rugged for the tracks through there. :scooter:

velotux
05-29-2010, 05:52 PM
I've not ventured to the sea front yet. I will do. I take my Meridians to Repton park which is a real mixture of terrains that they handle well. Unmade tracks and gravel and some real off road stuff. That is why my second Meridian is entirely box section. Its light but with about 12" of weld around the back I don't think its going to break. The real blast I get is on the cycle paths I am fortunate to have around here. Maybe see you around. Enjoy! I look forward to seeing your creations.

Good luck and all the best.

Tim

Ferrina
05-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Sounds cool. I like those Meridian's, really long! Coz I'm stuck in a hilly town, getting to the woods or a decent place to ride is a car drive away. That's why I'm considering a High Roller. another idea I had was to build another rat ride, but base it on a Spincycle but have a fixed rear wheel, so like a FWD lowracer on BMX running gear. Would that work? Where did you buy your long chain from? Is it a load of MTB chains joined together?

See you around.

velotux
05-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Hi Ferrina.

Pretty much anything with 2 or more wheels, pedals, steering, and somewhere to sit with some method of stopping works to one degree or another. Some better than others. I have found the books (Bicycle builders bonanza and Bike scooter and chopper projects for the evil genius) a great wealth of information and also the information on the AZ homepage. The books are available from Amazon U.K.
The chain I used on my Meridians was 2 Shimano 6/7 speed MTB chains joined together that I got from Cycles U.K. The chain is nothing special and was about 7 each. They have a branch in Romford. Be carefull though as you mentioned using BMX gear. Great for single speed and very sturdy. BMX uses a different size (width) chain that is not compatible with MTB drive train gear. So if you want gears, use stuff from an old MTB. For bullet proof single speed, use the BMX stuff. For recumbents I would definately stick with MTB gear. No matter how many gears you have on a bent you always want/need more. BMX running gear is mainly for choppers/cruisers. Its a free world but for your off road use I think gears would be handy.

All the best.

Tim

Ferrina
05-30-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the good advice. I will be using MTB gearing as you said, there will be inclines and it's nice to get some pace sometimes.

I do remember having issues with chains in the past when I needed a longer chain for my 20" python. I managed to buy a Schwinn Stingray chain off of eBay which is BMX specific.
:rockon:

Ferrina
12-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Well it's the end of 2010 and I've only just got round to thinking about a bike project again. My plans changed when my job changed this year, but back on track now and hoping to start buying some wheels, frames and components to build up a fully sprung version of the Tomahawk lowracer. I might go 20" on the front and 24" on the rear, with a strong wheel and frame set, both ends with suspension. I'll post pix as and when I get going.

Happy New Year people!

Roccorob
09-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Hi fellow essex dweller, just wanted to say your python is a massive inspiration to me, what a great bike, it seriously gave me the " i could do,that" feeling. What an awesome piece of machinery. What is the seat from? If you don't mind me asking.