PDA

View Full Version : Pickup truck spray on bed liner

StevefromOH
06-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Just wanted to pass along a little tip for a paint that is not only good looking but also one of the most durable paints to use.

Besides building and riding bikes, I also metal detect and someone mentioned using a can of pickup truck spray on bed liner to paint the coil of my detector to protect it from scratches and chips. It worked great and I thought hey, why not try it on a bicycle?

I am in the process of building a modified Streetfox with a Golden Eagle bike engine kit. In the past, paint was a problem in that most of the time it would get scratched and in a year of use the bikes I use would look old and used. So I tried the spray liner paint on my recumbent two wheeler and man does it look great even after two years of use. Touch up if needed is a breeze. I am going to paint the Streetfox with bed liner paint for sure.

You can get the bed liner paint in several different colors. It looks great after years of abuse and gives the bike a different look. I prefer it to the gloss finish that so many use as it covers up any imperfections.

The advantages of pickup truck spray on bed liner:
1. easy to use
2. durability
3. rust protection
4. a different look than a gloss finish
5. covers any imperfections
6. touch up is a breeze
7. inexpensive....one can will cover a bike with a lot left over
8. easy to clean....spray with a hose and the bike is clean..dirt just does not stick to it
9. chip resistant...no more chipped paint especially at wheel mounts
10. no need to wax the bicycle....water beads off the bike like is was just waxed.
11. No need for primer. Just paint, dry and go!
12. May even be stronger than powder coating.

There are several different manufacturers of spray on bed liner paint. I prefer Rustoleum version as the finish, while still with a texture, is not as bumpy as some of the others. A can will cost around 8 or 9 dollars at Lowe's or Home Depot.

I did some testing of the bed liner paint and powder coated metal. The bed liner paint was more durable, stuck on better to the metal than the powder coating. I noticed the powder coating will chip and flake off at sharp edges where the bed liner paint will not. A hammer strike to the metal will cause the powder coating to chip off where the bed liner paint will laugh at you as you hit it over and over.

Or maybe you don't want to paint the whole bike with bed liner spray. A good use for this stuff is to paint parts that get a lot of exposure.....parts that would look good in black but not gloss black. Parts like connecting rods with rod ends. Steering tubes. Suspension parts. Brakes. Pickup truck spray on bed liner could be the answer.

MarcusPHagen
06-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I looked up Herculiner, and found their FAQ: http://www.herculiner.com/questions.html#c

Of special note, the color choices: Black (lowest cost), Red, Gray, White.

A: Suggested retail on the black kit is $99.99, which includes
one (1) gallon. Additional black quarts are available for $29.99.
Red, gray & white kits are available for $139.99. Red, gray and
white quarts are available for $39.99.

A: HERCULINER has a proprietary polyurethane and rubber formula.

This sounds like a very durable, easy to maintain, (if somewhat heavy) coating. I'll be considering it when I build. It is a roller/brush applied coating. I wonder if you could get the white tinted at a paint store to obtain additional shades?

Another company (Al's Liner) has a spray-on kit for home do-it-yourselfers, if you'd rather not brush. It's more expensive, since it includes the spraying equipment, but the sit says you can color it as you wish. I'd like to find more about the experiences of people who have used it. http://www.123lift.com/bed-liner/buy-als-liner.html

Marcus

StevefromOH
06-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the tip!

I looked up Herculiner, and found their FAQ: http://www.herculiner.com/questions.html#c

Of special note, the color choices: Black (lowest cost), Red, Gray, White.

A: Suggested retail on the black kit is $99.99, which includes
one (1) gallon. Additional black quarts are available for $29.99.
Red, gray & white kits are available for $139.99. Red, gray and
white quarts are available for $39.99.

A: HERCULINER has a proprietary polyurethane and rubber formula.

This sounds like a very durable, easy to maintain, (if somewhat heavy) coating. I'll be considering it when I build. It is a roller/brush applied coating. I wonder if you could get the white tinted at a paint store to obtain additional shades?

Another company (Al's Liner) has a spray-on kit for home do-it-yourselfers, if you'd rather not brush. It's more expensive, since it includes the spraying equipment, but the sit says you can color it as you wish. I'd like to find more about the experiences of people who have used it. http://www.123lift.com/bed-liner/buy-als-liner.html

MarcusYou can get spray cans of this stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot. It is also paintable so you can apply this stuff and then paint over it.

I paid $9.00 for my can of black and it painted one bike and could probably paint another. I like the spray better than the roll on as the roll on has larger more pronounced texture to it.
I like the texture of the spray version as it is smoother but still has a texture to it to cover any imperfections that may be on the frame.

The local Sherwin Williams car finish store also carries different colors of the pickup truck bed liner paint. They can put it in a spray can for you but you do have to buy two cans of it.

I would rather use a spray can than buy all the equipment to spray it. The can is the way to go. Cheaper and does just as good a job. Most auto parts stores also carry this paint. It can be used for under the car painting because it is so durable.

Let's face it. Our bikes get banged up pretty good and any scratches, especially on really nice paint jobs, look bad. This stuff was an answer to my prayers. Looks good and tough as nails.

MarcusPHagen
06-08-2010, 02:04 AM
The local Sherwin Williams car finish store also carries different colors of the pickup truck bed liner paint. They can put it in a spray can for you but you do have to buy two cans of it.

Nice tip. I didn't know they would do that.

Marcus

StevefromOH
06-08-2010, 07:08 AM
I just noticed that teknobike (Steve) posted about pickup truck bed liner spray last year on this site.

Looks like us Steve's are always thinking!:thinking::laugh3:

socialtalker
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
how does it compare to powdercoating in terms of durability? oh dear, i have been wanting to powdercoat mine since i first heard of pc, but with my bike so large it may not be practical.

Odd Man Out
06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
how does it compare to powdercoating in terms of durability? oh dear, i have been wanting to powdercoat mine since i first heard of pc, but with my bike so large it may not be practical.

Powder coat paint is plenty tuff but the stuff they are talking about here is like putting a coat of cement on your bike -- not much will hurt it. The downsides are that it does weigh much more than any other type paint and your choices of color are extremely limited. For the general public, PCing is durable enough.

oolieiv
10-05-2012, 06:09 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I've been doing some reading. Apparently you can topcoat the spray can liners with Krylon Fusion paint. Considering doing this on my voyager build, to get a tough worry free finish. If some of the topcoat chips off the liner, at least the steel is still protected till I can do touchup.