PDA

View Full Version : First build, and some Q's.

corkscrew
06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Hello All, I'm Cj. I'm new to the forum, and to the AZ plans in general. I've purchased the Warrior plans and looking over them, I have some questions.

*Disclaimer, I'm not the welder. This is going to be a joint operation between my friend who owns a metal shop and myself. I'm the bicycle guru of the operation, but I'm completely new to welding. (Forgive my noob q's :) )

1 -

Is there any reason this can not be built from Aluminum stock? My friend has the equipment to do it and square aluminum tubing on hand, just wasn't sure if there was a good reason NOT to do it as far as structural integrity.

2 -

Has anyone used a road rim in the rear? I have a spare 27" wheel sitting in my garage, I also have a few 26's, but thought the taller rim might be better for road applications, while the dropout spacing might have to change. (5.25=133.35 mm, so basically 130mm mtn hubs, not the 126mm of my road wheel)

3 -

On the above question - I've noticed the tire to fork clearances are very tight. Would it be a problem to extend the fork slightly to put in mounts for a full coverage rear fender? Has anyone adapted fenders for the front wheels?

4 -

Brakes - the disc setup is looking rather expensive. (Terratrike wheels and Avid BB7's). I've noticed the streetfox uses normal caliper brakes and what seems like normal BMX front wheels. If this is the case would purchasing the Streetfox plans be worthwhile as far as implementation and stopping power?

I'm meeting with my welding buddy later this week to go over stuff, but wanted to ask everyone here first. I already have 3 mountain bike frames ready to be sacrificed, but might need a few more since I think my buddy wants to build two now. :)

Thanks all, sorry if I asked stupid questions!

Odd Man Out
06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Welcome Cork
looks like you have a great setup going and will be on the road in no time. Interesting that you ask about aluminum -- I build deltawolf's out of AL and love the stuff. That being said, I am in process of building a couple warriors out of chromolly. Blatant plug: check out my build blog on the forum called, Spartan and Hoplite arrior Build Blog...
Here are your answers:

1. Sure you can build it out of AL as long as you use 1/8th inch wall 6061 and have the completed frame professionally heat treated after you are done. Failure to have a AL frame heat treated is asking for a catastrophic problem in the future...

2. Yup no probs -- I'm doing it, check out the build blog, there are picts.

3. Again no probs, answer 2 above applies.

4. Yup.

5. THERE ARE NO STUPID Q'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though we be Zombies, we be very friendly Zombies and are always here to help you succumb to this addiction/hobby we share. Again Welcome.

PeterT
06-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Welcome Cork
looks like you have a great setup going and will be on the road in no time. Interesting that you ask about aluminum -- I build deltawolf's out of AL and love the stuff. That being said, I am in process of building a couple warriors out of chromolly. Blatant plug: check out my build blog on the forum called, Spartan and Hoplite arrior Build Blog...
Here are your answers:

1. Sure you can build it out of AL as long as you use 1/8th inch wall 6061 and have the completed frame professionally heat treated after you are done. Failure to have a AL frame heat treated is asking for a catastrophic problem in the future...

2. Yup no probs -- I'm doing it, check out the build blog, there are picts.

3. Again no probs, answer 2 above applies.

4. Yup.

5. THERE ARE NO STUPID Q'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even though we be Zombies, we be very friendly Zombies and are always here to help you succumb to this addiction/hobby we share. Again Welcome.

And we LURVE PICCIES!

The more piccies the better we enjoy your build progress!

PeterT

corkscrew
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Talked to my welder and another friend last night. Their shop is kinda busy right now, so we're going to touch base around July 1st. Looks like we might be building 2-3 of them at once. In the meantime steel is being ordered and donor bikes being found.

The deal is they do the welding and I handle the bike-related assembly which works fine. They might even teach me to weld along the way. :D

I will be taking plenty of pics I assure you. :)

Odd Man Out
06-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Cork
If you decide to go with Al, be sure to NOT grind down any welds smooth -- this is an option with other metals to "improve" the looks but it will weaken the AL welds big time. Good luck with your builds. Lookin forward to the pix.

corkscrew
06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
We will be making them out of steel, or at least will be on these incarnations. :)

KoolKat
06-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Welcome to the family! :D

Cheezy Rider
06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Welcome Corkscrew, glad to have you here. Keep us informed of your build, of course like the other guys said, "with lots of pics". It's a blast. I am just finishing my first build, also the Warrior.

corkscrew
06-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Just a slight update. Still hoping to start on the trikes in mid-July.

I found 20mm Quick Release Axles on Cattrike's store front. I can't link directly to them, but they are on Cattrikes Site --> Store --> Parts section, on the second page. They look rather nice, albeit pricey.

What do you guys think?

MarcusPHagen
06-29-2010, 01:39 AM
This one?

http://stores.homestead.com/catrike/Detail.bok?no=21

looks good, if the price is not a stopper.

Marcus

GreggyB
06-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Hi CJ,

The disk brake problem is easily solved if you move away from over priced bike parts.

I posed the same question on my upcomming trike build here :-

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?t=4263

Look for mini quad bike or disabled chariot brake calipers.

kentdvm
06-29-2010, 08:37 AM
As a total newb, I'm trying to figure out how the 20mm quick release axles work. I'm using 20mm Bitex hubs. How is this attached to the axle mounting tabs after passing through the hub?

I'm guessing the silver collar goes on one side of the axle tab and screws into the hollow hub and the spindle locks inside the hollow axle. Seems like there has to be more to mounting the axle to the bike. Bolt with lock nut? Thanks in advance!

corkscrew
06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
This one?

http://stores.homestead.com/catrike/Detail.bok?no=21

looks good, if the price is not a stopper.

Marcus

That's the one. Thanks, I couldn't find a direct link to it before. Looking at the Catrike setup though, it seems like they might be a bit long for Brad's tab solution. I'm sure something could be changed to make them work though. It's nice to not have to carry wrenches on rides! :)

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/2629/37981601.jpg

As a total newb, I'm trying to figure out how the 20mm quick release axles work. I'm using 20mm Bitex hubs. How is this attached to the axle mounting tabs after passing through the hub?

Take a look at the photo above.

The disk brake problem is easily solved if you move away from over priced bike parts.
Thanks for the info. I'll be using Avid BB7's on mine though. I've always wanted to learn how to set them up (A lot of my mountain bike buddies want me too also. :) ). We're taking our time getting the build process started so I'll be able to afford them *crosses fingers*.

schu777
06-29-2010, 11:40 AM
I guess I'm trying to understand the reason of having to carry wrenches for taking the tires off...I can see that fixing a flat would be easier that way, yet if you have no fenders on the front, you should be able to change a tire with it on the bike...
:thinking2:

corkscrew
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
I guess I'm trying to understand the reason of having to carry wrenches for taking the tires off...I can see that fixing a flat would be easier that way, yet if you have no fenders on the front, you should be able to change a tire with it on the bike...
:thinking2:

That's a good point. I'm so used to dealing with normal Diamond Frame bikes where you do have to remove the wheel from the frame. But still, knowing my affinity for murphy's law, somehow I'd have to remove the wheel at some point. :)

kentdvm
06-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the pic. Makes more sense now. I too like the idea of popping off the wheels.

savarin
06-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Puncture proof tubes and Mr tuffy tape inside. Even those goats head burrs cant get through