PDA

View Full Version : plug and play welder candidate

calcustom
06-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Would this welder be a good choice for the type of welding we do?
HF 80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder (http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/arc-welders/80-amp-inverter-arc-welder-91110.html)

SPECIFICATIONS
Electrical Input
120 V~ / 60 Hz / 20 A
Power Cord: 12 Gauge With 3-Prong Plug
Thermal Overload Protection
Electrode Sizes
1/16” - 3/32” (1.6mm) - (2.5mm)
Duty Cycles
35% @ 80 A
60% @ 65 A
100% @ 50 A
Electrode Cable 6 Gauge x 6’ Long
Ground Clamp Cable 6 Gauge x 5’6” Long
Overall Dimensions
9-1/2” x 5-5/8” x 3-3/4”
Additional Features Amber Temperature Warning Light
Welding Capacity 6 Gauge Steel

I like the portability/small footprint and I heard they are less prone to sticking.
Anyone have anything like this or heard good / bad about them?

badcheese
06-18-2010, 06:01 PM
I own this welder. For a 110v welder, it has worked very well for me. If you only have a 110v circuit and want to weld with a stick, the welder you linked is a good one. I especially like the small size and light weight. A bit of advice: Avoid using an extension cord. If you have to use one, use a short one with heavy gage wire. More resistance = more voltage drop = worse performance.

If you have a 220v circuit, a 220v welder would be even better.

GizDrak
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I have that Welder it is a nice welder. only problem I have had with it is I could get the voltage to a level where it would not easly burn holes in 16g tubing around the edges. but that also may be a skill thing I am still a newbie welder.

calcustom
06-18-2010, 10:33 PM
If you have a 220v circuit, a 220v welder would be even better.

This is one of the other things that makes this welder attractive as I am limited to 110v.
I will keep in mind to limit the use of an extension cord.

I have that Welder it is a nice welder. only problem I have had with it is I could get the voltage to a level where it would not easly burn holes in 16g tubing around the edges. but that also may be a skill thing I am still a newbie welder.

Thanks guys!
I will feel confident that I am throwing my $ in the right direction now. :)