PDA

View Full Version : Building front tires, compensate for disc brakes?

Cyclops
07-25-2010, 03:57 PM
I bought two Bitex hubs and found some 36 hole 20 in rims.

I did the calculations for spoke length, but when I was doing this I found a reference that I needed to deal with "dish" because of the disc brakes.

I would understand having to do two different size spokes if I was putting the tires on a standard fork, but with the Warrior do I need to? Can I just use the same size of spokes and have them centered between the hub holes?

Would I lose strength if I just did 186mms all around, or am I going to have to do 185 and 188s?

dt007
07-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Dish is not a factor for the front wheels with the exception that it should be the same from side to side.

PeterT
07-25-2010, 06:56 PM
"Dish" only applies to those wheels that are being held in upwrong forks, not those wheels that are being mounted on a cantilever setup, ie bolt through axle or axle stub.

If you dont dish a wheel in upwrong forks you will get tyre rub, or disc rub, or both!

PeterT

Topher
09-10-2010, 03:14 PM
I used the same size spokes when I build my front wheels, and didn't have any problems. As long as you're using a good wheel building stand you should be good to go.

savarin
09-10-2010, 10:51 PM
your making the decision where the disk brake brackets go so theres no need to dish.
I didnt and theres no problem.

John Lewis
09-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Our Logo tadpole front wheels are dished. The reason is to centre the rim on the hub length. This is the same reason that a rear wheel is dished. I don't know how important it really is but all the commercial ones are dished.

Another point. When spoking the wheel for disks there is a correct way to do it and you need, on a tadpole, to make a right and left one. My Shimano disks had instructions on this correct spoking. I did both wheels then realised they needed to be right and left.

John Lewis