PDA

View Full Version : Chain joining (after breaking)

BRADinSTL
07-28-2010, 11:48 PM
When I create a loop of chain by forcing a previously removed pin back in at the desired length, that new link is stiffer than the surrounding links. How do you put that pin back in and keep from making that link tight?

Didn't see this discussed elsewhere...

Thanks,
BradinSTL

tree
07-29-2010, 12:15 AM
I either grab the chain and bend it until it loosens up (sometimes making a V with the tight link at the point and bending, or I sometimes force a screwdriver or awl into the chain to open the sides up slightly.

I'm sure there are other ways. Glaring at it with contempt does NOT work, I've found. :P

graucho
07-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Many reasons for this. A few are...
* Mushrooming the pin ever so slightly putting it back in.
* Pinching the main link putting it back in. (see trees link above to correct)
* When removing the link in the first place, link orig hole is getting smashed (closed) ever so slightly.

Like tree said there are many fixes. A few more are...
If you constantly have this problem, roll the pin with a few drops of oil in between 800-1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper for a few seconds, then put 1/2 (haha) drop of oil over the link when inserting. You don't want to mar or scratch the heck out of the pin with the sandpaper, just make sure you use a little oil and roll lightly.

Or if the link is already attached, another way i've found is carefully clamp 2 vise grips (one on each side of problem link) put a drop of oil or a dab of grease on the problem link and work the link back and fourth for a minute and it will work loose fairly quickly.

stormbird
07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi all

Your chain tool should have to positions for the chain :-
One - pushes the pin into place
two - when moved into the second position it should allow you to slightly push the pin back the way it came whilst holding the plates secure.

When bending [ if you try that method ] then bend against the chain not with it i.e if the chain is held so it hangs vertically then then bend it from side to side instead [ 90' to the stiff pin ].

regards Paul

BRADinSTL
08-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback... I will try these when I finish final assembly of my Highroller (after paint).

Storm, here is the Park Tool I have. Pardon my ignorance, but how do you use it to put the pin back in? What are the two positions you're referring to? I ended up using a small vice to press it back, because I couldn't keep the pin in place with the tool. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BradinSTL

ken will
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
If you don't push the pin all the way out, you can use pliers to put it back together.

stormbird
08-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Hi there

What I do is push 2 pins part way out , if you pick the right pair one side plate will then come off leaving the pins in the other , you can then remove one or both of the rollers [ sometimes need prising out with a narrow screw driver ] and joining the chain is easy as you can get the rollers back over the pins with a pair of pliers before attaching the plate ?

Both my tools look like this one , so you break/assemble the chain in the narrow right hand channel , then to get the pin free you move the stiff link to the left hand channel which is to big to hold the complete link so the pin can be moved in the plates on one side [ sort of hard to explain ? ]

I will try again ! the right hand channel holds the right side of the link allowing you to push the pin against it.

The left hand channel can only hold the plates on the left hand side of the link therefore allowing you to push the pin through a bit left to right therefore making the gap the roller rides in bigger ?

regards Paul