PDA

View Full Version : decrease the warrior

mick
08-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Hello together,

As I can only work at weekends on my warrior, I spend my free time in the rest of the week thinking about my future projects.

As my two boys are over the moon with the warrior (since it can stand on its own wheels, I must push them about 100 times on Saturdays thru the workshop) I decided to build them their own warriors.

Here is the plan:

The Boys are 9 and 7 yo/135cm and 120cm/ 32kg and 26kg
- 30mm square tubing
- All tube-lengths times 0.75
- No changes to the geometry at all
- Single speed from some old 20” kids-Bike
- Normal bicycle-brakes at the rear
- No brakes in front
- 20” wheel at the rear
- 16” wheel at the front

Is it that “simple” or do I have a logical flaw somewhere??

I’m really looking forward to read your opinion on this.

I say sorry for my English being not that perfect.

If you like to see the progress on my own warrior, take a look here:
Atomic Zombie™ Extreme Machines Builder's Forum > Builders Connection - Introduce Yourself > Europe >Hi from Germany

Many thanks in advance

Michael

Wingman
08-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Hi Michael,

Scaling things down should work.

One other alternative is to get some junk BMX style bikes and build up a couple of Brad's Little Warrior Trikes. I have the plans and they are very easy to build. Check his kids bikes and trike section on the plans page.

Wingman.

mick
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Wingman,

thanks for that hint, but already showed my kids the Little Warrior Trikes. The answer was "No we want the same cool lowriding Trike as you build".

So there is no way out than scaling down the original.

Michael

MarcusPHagen
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Scaling down should work, but I'd strongly recommend putting ONLY front brakes on, rather than only a rear brake. Stopping a tadpole design works very well with two front brakes. In addition, some people have crashed tadpoles when they had a rear brake lock the wheel. The trike then skids to the side, and often flips when the front wheel grabs traction. While adult riders can modulate the brake to avoid this problem, I'd guess that kids might take more chances and be more likely to wipe out by taking a corner too fast, then trying to brake.

Marcus

mick
09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Hello MarcusPHagen,

thank you for that hint. Never thought about this brake Problem, I will defenetly keep that in mind when I start building the Mini-Warriors (Start End of Sep.).

Cheers, Michael