PDA

View Full Version : Trike Freewheel Adapters

gbbwolf
05-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Ok not sure what size axles these fit but im doing more research into it now. Says replaces standard size but trying to find their standard lol

http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/757/Trike-Freewheel-Adapter/

gbbwolf
05-12-2008, 12:57 AM
http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/1/74/Trike-Kits-Parts/

SFC 17E
05-12-2008, 01:09 AM
I have one of these trike kits and the standard now is 15mm. The older kits were 5/8". The ones for 5/8" are getting harder to find. :(I have been waiting a month for adaptors that I ordered from bikepartsusa.com.:confused: Everytime I call they tell me that the order has been shiped from the California warehouse,,,I live in San Diego!!!!!!! I know it does not take more than a couple of days to get things that I have ordered.:mad:

gbbwolf
05-12-2008, 01:19 AM
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/827/Trike-Hub---36H-Hvy-Duty-Black/ hmmm interesting 2.5 inch close to 3 inch lol

May have to design some stuff to use someof this stuff on decent prices lol

gbbwolf
05-12-2008, 01:23 AM
Seem to have some cool stuff there.
Lots of bling rims too if your into bling.
Just a find i found while searching for parts.

gbbwolf
05-12-2008, 01:45 AM
Think those kits are 14mm or .55 inch roughly.
According to what the site says on other parts like the hubs.
May still have to buy some stuff for a second build but not for my bike.
May buy a trike conversion kit a freewheel adapter and those hubs still searching for some type of brake that will work with that kit LMAO
Weird thing is those conversion kits sell on ebay at over twice that amount.
I got a freind wants me to convert her road bike to a trike.
She has an inner ear problem and can't balance anymore.
I will have to show her what i found if i can work out the brake issue.

TheKid
05-12-2008, 02:50 PM
If you have a 1/2" drill, you could easily bore the 15mm to 5/8" with a $5 bit. With a 3/8" drill, you could use a step drill and bore two sides, then file down the middle. You could also file it out, but you have to make sure it's centered. If you're using a 3/4" axle, the step drill will take care of the whole thing if you bore halfway through from both sides. Joey used this method for boring out a 5/8" adapter. The step drills are available from Harbor Freight for $8.87. Item # 91616-9BNB. It's a 3 piece set, but only one will go to 5/8" or 3/4". Use very little pressre on the drill, and it's a good idea to buy 2 sets.

Richie Rich
05-12-2008, 06:40 PM
....I got a freind wants me to convert her road bike to a trike.You can build one of those kits yourself. Mine cost me around $50 and some stuff from my "Junque Pyle".
The paint's still drying on the one I just finished.

See here....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2072/2423678931_40c6b53435.jpg

...Richie >>

SirJoey
05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
...Joey used this method for boring out a 5/8" adapter...

Yes, I did, thanx to your most excellent suggestion! In fact, while I was at it, I managed to get through 4 of 'em! 2 for the DW, & 2 for the KC.

locolarry
06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Richie Rich,
Where did you come up with the plans, details etc for your "kit"? Are there more pics available already posted somewhere?
Thanks, Larry

Richie Rich
06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Richie Rich,
Where did you come up with the plans, details etc for your "kit"? Are there more pics available already posted somewhere?
Thanks, LarryThere are no plans that I know of, Larry. I did some 'reverse engineering' of some commercial trikes and applied that info to my own design.

Right now, my little website for the trike adaptor is still 'Under Construction'......

http://trikekit.blogspot.com/

but I'll have an update soon with pix. All I need is a "Round Tuit" but they're getting hard to find lately..!! :p

Stay tuned...

..RR

locolarry
06-01-2008, 11:10 PM
RR,
Thank you for your quick response! I will be watching for a good source of "Roundtuits". I could use a bushel basket full of them... I am interested in the kit, just for the fun of it!
Oh, I need a couple of garage-stretchers if you see any.;)
Larry

Pagan Wizard
06-01-2008, 11:21 PM
You can build one of those kits yourself. Mine cost me around $50 and some stuff from my "Junque Pyle".
The paint's still drying on the one I just finished.

See here....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2072/2423678931_40c6b53435.jpg

...Richie >>

The thing I like the most about RR's conversion is that you can put just about any cassette onto the axle. The commercially made conversion states that you can only use a single or three speed hub kit.

Richie Rich
06-02-2008, 12:00 AM
RR,
Thank you for your quick response!You're welcome, Larry. Being a true 'Zombie', I never sleep...!!
I will be watching for a good source of "Roundtuits". I could use a bushel basket full of them...I saw some on eBay once, but I got outbid.
Oh, I need a couple of garage-stretchers if you see any.;)
LarryI ran out of room for garage-stretchers, so now I use Sky Hooks.

....RR :cool:

TheKid
06-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Those sky hooks are also rare. I haven't seen them on e-bay, craigslist, or anywhere else. Come to think of it, locating them must be a secret process. Back in high school, I was going to trade school as part of the program. Our plumbing teacher often said he used sky hooks for various tasks, but he never showed us one, and never told us where to get them. I always thought that would make a great movie. Harrison Ford could be "Indiana Jones and the Quest for Skyhooks".

Richie Rich
06-02-2008, 12:27 AM
The thing I like the most about RR's conversion is that you can put just about any cassette onto the axle. The commercially made conversion states that you can only use a single or three speed hub kit.Thanks, P-Dub. This particular application was designed for a woman who had knee surgery and couldn't pedal her 2-wheeler fast enough to maintain her balance. She just wanted to be able to ride a bike with her grandkids. Although there's a complete 21-speed setup, she's pleased with using the lowest speed. That's why you won't see any front or rear shifters and just a front brake. (See attached pix).

However, it can easily be put back to its original 2-wheel configuration with all cabling etc.

....Richie >>

TheKid
06-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Here's another version that can be used for making a trike from scratch:

http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/delta.htm

Richie Rich
06-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Those sky hooks are also rare. I haven't seen them on e-bay, craigslist, or anywhere else.I get mine at the local Army/Navy Surplus store. They're next to the 100-foot coils of water line, the left-handed monkey wrenches, and the buckets of steam. Keep looking.... :D

TheKid
06-02-2008, 03:33 AM
That explains it. There hasn't been an Army/Navy store around here for years. But one of the local hardware stores still carries the monkey wrenches and the buckets of steam. They stopped carrying the water line. And they look at me crosseyed when I ask for skyhooks.

Pagan Wizard
06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Before my father and I "parted ways" (to be polite about it). I was able to snag my Grandfather's smoke bender attachment for the BBQ grill. These things are extremely rare and worth their weight in.......well, I haven't yet figured that part out yet.

I wonder if that bucket of steam would help make cleaning the grates on the grill any easier???

EDIT......I almost forgot to mention that I was also able to snag my Grandfather's charcoal rejuvinator, another rarity.......talk about renewable sources of energy.

On a side note, I don't have any Army/Navy surplus stores around me, but there is an Air Force surplus store here. At this store, I was able to locate a Flying "BS" Detector. It was pretty pricey, and I had to unfortunately pass on this one.

TheKid
06-02-2008, 05:54 PM
A BBQ smoke bender and charcoal rejuvinator are must-haves. They could make a fortune on e-bay.

savarin
06-02-2008, 09:19 PM
A BBQ smoke bender and charcoal rejuvinator are must-haves. They could make a fortune on e-bay.
They must do, when you find another one keep it chained up. Some B**tard stole mine.
They never got my skirting board ladder though for which I'm extremely thankful as I use it all the time.

gbbwolf
06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Well Richie you sure do some quality work.
" Nelson gazing into the stars and hopes his deltawolf turns out even half as good as RR's"

Richie Rich
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Well Richie you sure do some quality work.
" Nelson gazing into the stars and hopes his deltawolf turns out even half as good as RR's"Thank you for the nice comments. Someone much wiser than I am once told me.....
"Do it once...Do it right".
I've tried to follow that ever since.

There's no secret to any of this stuff. Just be patient....don't rush anything. Measure carefully and double check before welding.

I'm a big fan of the TV show "American Chopper" and was watching it long before I found this group. I'm a details oriented kinda guy and enjoyed watching Paul Jr. do his magic.

Since I couldn't afford the 40 grand to build a chopper like they do, I decided to do things on a smaller scale and build a custom bicycle for my Grandson. Some research led me to Brad's BBB book and the rest is history.

Just keep at it. Build...build...build.....and you'll get better each time.

....Richie >>

Richie Rich
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Richie Rich,
Thanks, LarryLarry...I finally got a "Round Tuit" and was able to post some construction pix of my home-brew junk box 'Universal Trike Kit'. As time permits, I'll add some commentary and a few more pix.

Click here.....

www.trikekit.blogspot.com (http://www.trikekit.blogspot.com)

....Richie >>

AtomicZombie
06-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Looks better than the ones they sell at the bike shop for $400 bucks!

Brad