PDA

View Full Version : excellent plans ... but

schneidp20
12-26-2010, 08:40 AM
It sure would be nice if you included the exact parts list you used and sources. Especially important with Sparky, but it would also be nice to know, for example, the disk brakes you ended up using on your trikes.

No other grips, great plans!

Dave

KoolKat
12-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Some projects like Sparky were built five or more years ago. Suppliers change, go out of business, parts numbers change. We don't assume that everybody around the world can get the EXACT same parts we use/have used.

Why don’t you use blueprints, CAD Drawings, or include a detailed materials cut-list?
Blueprints assume that you will build an identical copy of something. This is almost impossible when it comes to creating a bike or trike without having access to a large machine shop or large supply of parts. For instance, the Warrior Tadpole Racing Trike can be made to accommodate riders of varying weights and heights, so forcing the design into a rigid blueprint format would force a 5'-2" tall 150 pound rider to build a trike suited for a 6'-4" tall, 350 pound rider! Our plans take the builder through every step of the building process, and then explain modifications that can be made to suit the builder’s needs, rather than assume everyone wants the same exact final product. The same principle holds true for materials.

There are hundreds of different variations on parts such as wheels, forks, and bicycle frames. Our plans allow you to adapt to whatever parts you have on hand or can acquire, making suggestions along the way for alternative parts. A "cut here" list or a "bill of materials" forces the builder to seek out specific brands of components, hoping that they are still manufactured or within their individual budgets. We have found that this rigid format does not work for the majority of homebuilt bike builders, and creates much more frustration than simply allowing the builder to do some self-calculations or explore his/her own creativity before beginning the building process. Just have a look at our gallery to see the amazing diversity shown in our builders’ completed bikes and trikes. We’re all about thinking outside the box.

To quote AZ veteran bike builder PeterT: “You need to remember one thing - you are building your bike, with your budget, and your abilities, to your specifications, talents and expectations. You might spend hours/days/weeks etc. trying to sort out your cut list, but as soon as you walk into the actual store to purchase your required cuts, you will change your mind, and think of some wonderful way of modifying the design you want to build, so I offer some prudent advise - do a rough cut list to make sure that you have enough material for the basics, and then become friendly with the person serving you because you will be seeing him again and again, when you have 6" left and you need 9" to finish something, or you want to see if something else would look better on your new bike. Don't over-think things or you will never get started.”

Where do I find the parts to build the bikes from your plans?
Wherever you can! We like to “shop” at the local scrap yard for bits and pieces when trying out new designs because an inventor can never have enough spare parts on hand. Department stores often put their low end cycles on sale for $150 or less, and these bikes are great for parts. A typical department store steel frame mountain bike will supply you with wheels, transmission, brake and shifter parts, and a lot of weldable steel. Often, the low end steel bikes have decent components as well, and the steel frame means that you can cut and weld any part of it. Almost every bike or trike on our site was fitted with parts recycled from low end department store cycles that were on sale. Your local bike shop is another good source for purchasing higher quality components, and if you can find a shop that is “DIY friendly”, you will often find a lot of good advice and some great deals. Some other great parts sources are: landfill sites, yard sales, auctions, flea markets, thrift stores, online and classifieds, and of course family, friends, colleagues, etc. If you plan on taking up this hobby, put the word out to family, friends and coworkers that you will refuse no used bikes! You’ll be surprised how many bikes and parts you will accumulate quickly. Old bikes, exercise equipment, even steel furniture can be used, so build up your spare parts pile. Each of our plans recommends alternative sources for parts and encourages builders to be creative and inventive. That’s the Atomic Zombie way!

http://atomiczombie.com/plansfaq.html (http://atomiczombie.com/plansfaq.html)

ken will
12-26-2010, 05:01 PM
it would also be nice to know, for example, the disk brakes you ended up using on your trikes.
Dave

This is a world wide forum so it depends on where you live.:cheesy:

Several people from around the world have mentioned in several different threads where they got parts. Let the "Advanced Search" be your friend.

Just remember to have fun and share lots of pictures.

Odd Man Out
12-26-2010, 07:31 PM
This request comes up from time to time...
My advice to those that want to get involved with this hobby/passion/addiction would be to let your desire drive you -- search the forum and read read read. If you don't have the drive to learn then you will probably not have the drive to complete a project. If you expect everything to be handed to you in a neat package then you have yet to know the Zombie philosophy which seems to be to be one of creativity, learning, sharing and conquering the challenges that life throws our way.
This is in no way directed towards you, schneidp20 -- I heartily welcome you to the forum and look forward to your future builds -- I am here to help in any way possible.
I guess I am directing this to the seemingly increasing multitudes of people who think that unless things are given to them so they don't have to think or expend effort, that somehow it will be impossible to achieve. I rail at the thought that people are becoming less competent to do things. This is indeed the opposite to the Atomic Zombie philosophy.

pcorbett
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I agree. You can suck the fun right out of the build if you build your bike to exact specs.
All the major parts are there, you just have to apply your skills as a builder.
Study your plans till you know them inside and out. IMMHO

Pete

Robert
12-28-2010, 09:34 PM
It seems to me that Brad says in the very beginning that you can modify the plans to fit your situation. That's one of the biggest reasons that I was attracted to this forum. You get the basic plan, and then build the project to suit you. I've been scavenging parts for projects most of my life, and I wouldn't have any other way. I always look at something as what it could be, not what it is. As I said, just give me the basic idea, and then I'll do the rest. As far as parts, they're literally everywhere.