PDA

View Full Version : OH Crap!

dynodon
12-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Well I had my rear fork for my Tomahawk almost finished and I was welding the last caps over the ends of the cross tube and I blew a huge hole in it.......guess IO better take a break and try again tomarrow hope i can fix it.:mad:

Radical Brad
12-27-2010, 10:40 PM
If the hole is smaller than a quarter, then no problem!

Brad

dynodon
12-28-2010, 09:24 AM
its about the size of a pencil eraser I think I'll cut the cap off and make a new one that extendeds ove the thinnarea and reweld.....sounds like a way to cover and still look ok.

Racer46
12-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Don, I had the same thing happen on my Tour Easy clone. I noticed a crack in the top tube and thought I would just weld it back. The tube was thin chromemolly and I hadn't helped when I removed the remote steering then ground off the weld. I turned the welder all the way down but that didn't help. As soon as I pulled the trigger I blew a hole a little smaller than a dime in the tube. I made up a patch out of some other tube that I had and covered the hole and the thin surrounding area. The patch doesn't look as bad as the picture, I think it was the light, but it's still not very pretty.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5088/5301637222_e25a4b8cf8_z.jpg

dynodon
12-31-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm really struggling with the welding the more I try the worse I get.....I better take a couple days off and regroup. I need a good teacher or some video, I've looked at most of the stuff on youtube but I think someone needs to watch me and correct what I'm doing. I have a friend thats a great welder but his time is so limited dont know if I con nail him down for a couple hours. I have another friend at work that used to teach welding at a local High school he may be a better bet. I wont even show you guys my welds its that bad.....

Richie104
12-31-2010, 04:05 PM
If you post some pictures of your welds we might be able to help you and tell you were you might be going wrong.

John Lewis
01-01-2011, 04:23 AM
I'm really struggling with the welding the more I try the worse I get.....I better take a couple days off and regroup. I need a good teacher or some video, I've looked at most of the stuff on youtube but I think someone needs to watch me and correct what I'm doing. I have a friend thats a great welder but his time is so limited dont know if I con nail him down for a couple hours. I have another friend at work that used to teach welding at a local High school he may be a better bet. I wont even show you guys my welds its that bad.....

dynodon,
Just a thought . It was mentioned in one of the threads that the welding cable liner, If thats the right term, was causing poor welds. Replacing the liner solved the problem.

Perhaps check how your wire is feeding and also that the gas orifices are not clogged etc.

John

John Lewis
01-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Too late to edit. Just saw you had read and replied to racer 46 post so you are onto the possible problem.
Hope it soves it for you.

John