PDA

View Full Version : welding problems

coleman
02-06-2011, 09:50 AM
hi , just started my first build,a tomahawk lowracer.i am having big problems welding,this is my first time and i cant seem to arc properly it just stick all the time.im useing 1,5mm rods to weld 1,5mm tubing.any help gladly recieved

cileman

Racer46
02-06-2011, 12:38 PM
You may want to check out Brad's tutorial on welding: Atomic Zombie Welding Tutorial (http://www.atomiczombie.com/ct-welding.html#welding) About half way down the page he explains about how to strike an arc and what causes sticking.

Radical Brad
02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
When I was learning to weld, I realized that 90% of the trouble was from not having the amp dial up enough.
Brad

socialtalker
02-07-2011, 01:11 AM
i also ask welding questions on weldingweb(dotcom)

stuartm9999
03-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Keep trying.
Althoug I did 1/2 a days welding at university (for some strange reason it was felt electrical angineers needed to weld), when I started last year it took me about 20 minutes to start each arc and about 3/4 of the welds fell apart.
Now it takes me about 10 minutes and about 1/4 fall apart!
I also found turning up the juice until the welder growled rather than hummed helped.

shifty
03-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Sorry, I can't help as I have no idea about Arc/Stick welding as I use MIG, mainly as I find it easier. But if you are in the UK try visiting www.mig-welding.co.uk (http://www.mig-welding.co.uk) as there is plenty of help to be had.
Above all, find some scrap steel and keep practising. Practice really does make perfect!

John Lewis
03-08-2011, 05:56 AM
My advice for what its worth.

Start with a piece of 1/4" plate or similar. Turn the amps up. If it sticks or hard to start turn it up more.
Strike the ark a bit like striking a match and then quickly move the rod about 1/8" away from work. Practice until you can do it easily. Now try to run a bead. Move slowly,you wont burn through the plate. When you have done an inch or two of bead stop and chip it. Lay another bead along side. Do this over and over until it is easy. Put more beads between the ones you have done.
Try to keep the beads even and look at your penetration. At first the beads will be all over theplace, thick and thin, good penetration, poor. You will improve.

That is what I did when I first started. I kept at it for quite a while before I started on the thin tube.

John