PDA

View Full Version : A Tomahawk built with "MAJiC"

imamedik
03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
A couple of weeks ago I started to build a Multi-functional Adjustable Jig in Columbus (MAJiC) seen on another thread on this site http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?5108-Multi-functional-Adjustable-Jig-in-Columbus&highlight=MAJiC , this weekend I decided to work on some of the accessories for it. before I could make them I needed to figure out what kind I needed so I decided to build a Tomahawk and I would build the accessories as needed. this is what I have done so far

2095 aaaaaaaaaa 2094
I forgot to take pics of the setup I aaaaaaaaaaaa This is a side view of how I can use
used to make the rear forks, sorry. aaaaaaaaaaaaa the jig to maintain alignment

2096aaaaaaaaaa 2093
View from the back, nice and straightaaaaaaaaaa and from the front
(welding table in background)

So far I haven't had to make any parts for the jig :jester:

imamedik
03-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Here are some more pics of my Tomahawk build.

2098aaaaaaaaaa2099
Seat tube ready to weld, held in line aaaaaaaaaafront view, ready to weld to rear
with multiple jig accessoriesaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaforks

2097aaaaaaaaaa2100
Seat tube welded in placeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa front tube ready to weld

what's nice about this jig is I can adjust it to fit the frame then lock it in place. that enables me to remove the frame so I can finish welding those hard to reach areas under the frame, clean up welds, verify alignment, etc..., then put it back in the jig in the same position it was before I removed it. :jester:

imamedik
03-13-2011, 11:14 PM
And a couple more :jester:

2101aaaaaaaaaa2102
The front end, with wheel to show aaaaaaaaaaa A rolling chassis
clearance

I shortened some 26" forks to fit a 20 in wheel, I still need to clean up the welds on them. I still need to make a BB, goose-neck, seat, seat tabs, install cable guides and rear brake mounts and deal with chain management. If all goes well I should be able to have this ready to paint next weekend. If I didn't have my Multi-functional Adjustable Jig in Columbus (MAJiC) I probably wouldn't have this ready for paint until sometime next month. :jester::jester:

SirJoey
03-13-2011, 11:51 PM
VERY kool! :punk:
I may have to make a trip to Columbus when I get ready to build mine! :D

*** The **** Is My Shepherd! ***
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

John Lewis
03-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Hey imamedik,

Is that MAjiC or MAGIC?

Very nicely done. Sure makes lining things up easy. Definitely worth the effort.

John

Kobber
03-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Hey imamedik,

That's fantastic! When I saw the first picture of the MAJiC (TM) in an earlier thread, I couldn't imagine how that ton of ugly steel could help you produce a thing of beauty. Now I get it, though, after seeing it in use. I'm gonna make me one too!

Nothing like a jig for a perfectioninst. My problem is that I want everything to be perfect, so preparation goes on until nothing gets done. Oh, and I have no time whatsoever nowadays, but that's another issue.

Keep them pictures coming, they're fuelling the fires of my imagination.

Take it easy.

Kobber

dynodon
03-14-2011, 04:47 PM
pretty cool now it looks like you could mass produce them.......

imamedik
03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
... If all goes well I should be able to have this ready to paint next weekend.

I jinxed myself when I said this :jester: Brad was right when he said there was very little wiggle room for short people, I am 5' 6". I had to cut the head tube off so I could move the front tire closer to the frame. It has 1/2" clearance now instead of 1 1/4". I also had to shorten the seat tube by about 1 1/4" to get me a little closer to the pedals. The first picture shows the frame cut in half. the second pic shows the frame ready for welding, if you look close you can see the angle iron I inserted to give it strength. The third and fourth pics show the welds cleaned up some, after I fill a few holes and grind the welds flush you won't be able to tell it was ever cut in half. :)

2114aaaaaaaaaa2112

2113aaaaaaaaaa2111

dynodon
03-17-2011, 06:11 PM
live and learn Dude!! Now the rtest of us will look at ours real close before welding them up thanks for the pointers!

imamedik
03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I wasn't able to do to much on it today. I had to take my lawnmower in to get fixed, I never learned how to work on anything powered by gas :( . I was able to get back to the rolling chassis stage again. You can see the frame to tire clearance is about 1/2 inch. I was also able to get 1 layer of foam on my seat. I also changed the angle of my seat by using two different sizes of EMT tubing, the top one can also be used as a locking point. :jester:

SirJoey
03-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Nice work! :)
How's ur pedal-to-tire clearance?

imamedik
03-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Nice work! :)
How's ur pedal-to-tire clearance?

Sir J, It had about a 1/2 inch clearance, I decided to cut the main boom on three sides and bend it up so the angle looks more like Brad's. I cut the boom and was able to do the weld across the top before I ran out of welding wire. :( I will be heading to Home Depot after dinner to get more. I will post pics after its done.

SirJoey
03-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Sir J, It had about a 1/2 inch clearance, I decided to cut the main boom on three sides and bend it up so the angle looks more like Brad's. I cut the boom and was able to do the weld across the top before I ran out of welding wire. :( Man, I'd have left it that way! First thing I noticed was how low & tight ur boom
was, & I loved it! That's the way I'd like to do mine when I get a round tuit.

Personally, I think your take on it is great, but that's just me. :)

dynodon
03-19-2011, 05:12 PM
keep the pics coming.

graucho
03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Great job and thanks for sharing your build. The jig ideas were really cool, and effective.

imamedik
03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Its alive (sort of), in the first and second pictures you can see that I extended the goose-neck. I welded a hollow tube inside to keep it straight and then ground it flush, not sure but I may have to add another extension. The third picture shows how I routed the chain. I had a couple of stroller wheels laying around that used radial bearings, I am not sure if I am going to keep this set-up or go with Brad's. the last picture shows the set up for the test ride, front brake and no gears. After a few shaky starts (knees barely touch the handle bars) I was able to ride it easily, the steering is very responsive. I still need to make an upper back support, then upholster the seat. The blue foam is a yoga mat from Walmart it gives the seat a gel feel.

2145aaaaaaaaaa2143

2144aaaaaaaaaa2146

imamedik
03-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Ok, this is what I was able to do today (in-between SWMBO's honey do list). I made the upper back support, installed the rear brake studs, welded on the cable stops for the front brakes and derailleur and modified the chain management so it is a cross between Brad's design and mine.

2160aaaaaaaaaa2159

savarin
03-20-2011, 08:56 PM
That looks a real sweet ride.
Have you considered using an adjustable steering stem?
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?3149-Folding-steering&highlight=
It made all the difference to my ride.

qwo_1
03-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Hello Guys, Sorry about the laughter, After looking at this it makes me feel great that I don't need a jig.But I am one of the lucky ones, I take my hat off to the thought and finished job, after all its the Item working that makes ya day. Keep up the good work.

imamedik
03-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello Guys, Sorry about the laughter, After looking at this it makes me feel great that I don't need a jig.But I am one of the lucky ones, I take my hat off to the thought and finished job, after all its the Item working that makes ya day. Keep up the good work.

qwo_1, I have built 4 bikes without a jig :rolleyes4: the Warrior, the Delta Wolf, the Meridian and a cross between the Voyager and High-roller. all of them roll true. The jig just makes it easier to keep everything aligned :jester:

imamedik
03-23-2011, 10:35 PM
I was able to get all of the cable stops welded to the rear of the frame. I then ran all of the cables so I could take it for a proper test ride (so I thought). I forgot that I had only tack welded the bolts for the pulley's to the frame :rolleyes4:. Going down hill was easy since I didn't have to pedal hard, when I turned around to head back up hill it got harder to pedal. I found that I had broken one of the 2 tack welds on each bolt (easy fix). I took it back out for a test ride and found that I had some play in the head tube bearings and I couldn't tighten them any more, luckily the LBS had a thread cutting tool I could use so I didn't have to cut and re-weld the forks, works fine now. :punk: sorry no pics.

qwo_1
03-24-2011, 05:26 AM
Yes after looking at the frame a couple of times and all the angles, the Jig Frame makes good sense. I tend to use a vice And a Hand to hold the bits while I tack them, Or prop them up on something. So yes If you have room to store the Jig why not use one.
I personally cant justify the time involved. At 70 and being retired means I need more hours in the day, like 4:0am to 7:0pm Is just not long enough, and I have too stop for meals etc. lol.

imamedik
03-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Took time off from work Friday to take a trip to Harbor Freight (100 miles away) to pick up a few things for my new air compressor; air metal saw, air blaster/ with abrasive, HVLP paint gun and air sander. On the way back home, I decided to stop by a Tractor Supply store in Eufaula, I'm glade I did, I picked up a couple of 3" pulleys that were on clearance for .99 cents ea. :jester: I had a short window of good weather (supposed to rain all week) to disassemble and primer my frame. The funny thing hanging off the bike is a chain guard to help protect my legs. You can see my air compressor still in the box in the background.

2202aaaaaaaaaa2201

SirJoey
03-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Wotta STEAL on the pulleys! Looks like U bought enough
stuff to make it worth the 200-mile-round-trip! :eek:

Great score, WTG! :)

The **** Is My Shepherd!

imamedik
04-02-2011, 09:15 PM
It is done, my youngest daughter picked out the color, I really like it, it is a little more greener than it looks in the pics. Brad and Kat I hope you don't mind but I shamelessly plugged the website :jester:. This is also the first bike I have named (self-explanatory) refer to 1st picture

2261aaaaa2262

2263aaaaa2264

the front wheel hits the kickstand when it is down, but folds out of the way and has about a 1/2" clearance. Main boom, nice and pointy

imamedik
04-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Here are a couple more pics :jester:
With the flag from my DeltaWolf mounted, need to get another shorter one for this bike. 2nd pic with chain-guard to protect my pants. 3rd pic I used heat shrink tubing to help manage the cables. 4th money shot :punk:

2265aaaaa2266

2268aaaaa2267

schu777
04-02-2011, 10:30 PM
Sweet - I really like the "leg guard"...might need to remember that for some of my builds.

savarin
04-03-2011, 04:33 AM
very very nice. Love the name.

SirJoey
04-03-2011, 08:22 AM
WOW! :punk:

Kickstand, flag, full compliment of braze-ons, & even named!
All the kind of junk I like to adorn one with! WTG! :D

Love the chain guard! Love the name, too!
Just OUTSTANDING work all around! :)

John Lewis
04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
I like it.
Very nicely done. First class work and I second Sir J's remarks.

John

imamedik
04-04-2011, 09:39 PM
I took "Nuff Said" out for a short ride today so I could fine tune the cables. After riding for about ten minutes I realized the seat angle was not working for me. I thought I was going to have to cut the seat off and change the angle which I really didn't want to do, luckily I was able to change the angle enough using 12 washers, 6 on each side to make it work :jester:

One of my daughters friends dads came by to pick up his daughter and saw me tinkering with it. He new I built bikes as a hobby but had never seen any of them. I told him about the site and said he could stop by anytime to try out any of my bent's, maybe we will have a new builder soon :jester:

John Lewis
04-05-2011, 03:47 AM
So what did you adjust? The seat base, the seat back or the headrest?

Enjoy the ride.

imamedik
04-05-2011, 06:40 AM
So what did you adjust? The seat base, the seat back or the headrest?

Enjoy the ride.

John here is a pic, I used the washers at the top of the seat back

John Lewis
04-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Now that is interesting. So little change has made as you say quite a difference to the ride.
perhaps I should try something like that on my Marauder. I sometimes feel it lays too far back although not uncomfortable now I have the neckrest.

John

Robert
06-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I Love the welding jig. Although I haven't used one yet, I've thought many times about building one. Maybe this will be the inspiration that I need. To date, I have built 3 bikes/trikes, and I plan on building at least 2 more. One of the things I like about the forum is all the great ideas. Thanks again.
Robert

sberebit
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Thank you for posting your MAJiC Jig. I was wondering if you had better quality pictures of the Jig and would be willing to email them to me. I read your directions, but I am not a reader but a looker and I cannot see what you have done. I would be most appreciative. If you cannot do this, would you be willing to direct me to a site that has strong technical instruction or really good pictures? Thank you.
Steve
sberebit@gmail.com

A couple of weeks ago I started to build a Multi-functional Adjustable Jig in Columbus (MAJiC) seen on another thread on this site http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?5108-Multi-functional-Adjustable-Jig-in-Columbus&highlight=MAJiC , this weekend I decided to work on some of the accessories for it. before I could make them I needed to figure out what kind I needed so I decided to build a Tomahawk and I would build the accessories as needed. this is what I have done so far

2095 aaaaaaaaaa 2094
I forgot to take pics of the setup I aaaaaaaaaaaa This is a side view of how I can use
used to make the rear forks, sorry. aaaaaaaaaaaaa the jig to maintain alignment

2096aaaaaaaaaa 2093
View from the back, nice and straightaaaaaaaaaa and from the front
(welding table in background)

So far I haven't had to make any parts for the jig :jester:

imamedik
02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
sberebit, give me a list of parts or area's you would like pics of and I will take them this weekend weather permitting

Radical Brad
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Great looking ride, and cool mods. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the plug!

Brad

sberebit
02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Thank you for offering the picts. Actually I work with a couple of engineers and they were able to explain what it was I was seeing. My issues were with the tops of the 'legs' clamped between the 1"x3" backbone. I could not tell how the angles were achieved at the top. I think I have it though. Thank you.

By the way, they were impressed with the design. They are the ones who piqued my curiosity re: a jig. The ones they proposed was not nearly as good as yours.

imamedik
02-02-2012, 11:33 PM
..... My issues were with the tops of the 'legs' clamped between the 1"x3" backbone. I could not tell how the angles were achieved at the top. I think I have it though.

here's a pic just in case

By the way, they were impressed with the design. They are the ones who piqued my curiosity re: a jig. The ones they proposed was not nearly as good as yours.

Richie104
03-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi,
Thats a really nice bike and I think you jig will come in handy for future builds, good idea imamedik
I'm just about to paint my tomahawky-thing and I wanted to ask you about frame flex before its too late. I read something on rivers warrior build about it needing a gusset under the rear fork as warriors like to snap there and I'm a bit worried now. I think it's something to do with the side forces as it can't lean but I'm not sure. How have you found the bike? Does it flex under lots of power?
Richard

imamedik
03-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi,
Thats a really nice bike and I think you jig will come in handy for future builds
Richard

Thanks Richie, the jig does com in handy. I used it on this http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?5865-Starting-a-new-Trike-with-26in-wheels&highlight=

...I'm just about to paint my tomahawky-thing and I wanted to ask you about frame flex before its too late. I read something on rivers warrior build about it needing a gusset under the rear fork as warriors like to snap there and I'm a bit worried now. I think it's something to do with the side forces as it can't lean but I'm not sure. How have you found the bike? Does it flex under lots of power?
Richard

I haven't had any problems with flex, probably because it doesn't have the side load that the warrior has. You could add a gusset if you think you may be rough on it for safety's sake