PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Phoenix, Az!

stoobie
05-09-2011, 01:04 AM
A few months ago, I bought a Diamondback Kalimar for my daily 2 mile commute to work, and actually ride it another 15 to 20 miles every weekend. Friends have accused me of doing this for health and economy, but the truth is I just like riding it! This re-awakened an old interest in bicycles from when I was much younger, and I decided to fix-up an old 12 speed that's been rusting away in my back yard. While searching online for parts, I came across Atomic Zombie and became so taken with the website that I bought the book. I have always enjoyed hacking and making things from computers to stick and tissue airplanes, and this adds a whole new dimension to my hobby. Most recently, I made a set of panniers for my Kalamar out of some discarded black nylon power point projector cases, and a hitch I plan to use to tow home project bikes as I find them at yard sales and the local thrift shops, (yes, I have a car but I don't offhand know where it is right now. I use a motorcycle for trips longer than I want to make on the bike).
I'm already thinking about two projects, a Dutch style cargo bike, and a bike specifically for riding in the many washes around Phoenix (with cast-iron tires).
I love the imagination, creativity and planning I see everyone puts into their creations here. It's a genuine source of information and inspiration and for that I thank you all!

KoolKat
05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the insanity. Glad you joined us!

graucho
05-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Welcome stoobie, share whatever you come up with and take us along on your building journey.

stoobie
05-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome KoolKat and Groucho! I'm currently scaring up parts to refurbish my old 27" 12 speed which I've decided to do over with a sort of an 1890's Steam-Punk motif. I think I can pull it off with some custom bent handlebars and brass fittings where I can make them fit. Also working on a sketch for a Cargo Bike. It looks something like a Bakfilet, but I'm not happy with the steering arrangement. Going with a long drag-link to connect the handlebars to the front wheel is probably the simplest/best way to go, but I'm concerned about the rod flexing and getting in the way of the load, not to mention that it upsets my sense of aesthetic symmetry, (yeah, I'm kind'a odd that way...). I'm thinking about running a push-pull cable or chain arrangement through tubular guides which I might be able to hide under or even inside in the main backbone of the frame like the clutch and throttle cables in the old VW beetles. I also got an idea for a tetrahedron shaped Tall Trike recumbent, but that's way on the back burner for now... Cripes! I'd better get busy!... I'll post when I have something to show.

inventor1
05-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Welcome!

Hey, I am also in Phoenix,
I usually ride up in the mountains around Munds Park, when I get the chance.

Inventor1

stoobie
05-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Hello Inventor1! I was wondering if there were any other Phoenicians here! The last time I was in the vicinity of Munds Park I was on a trip to Nebraska on my old Yamaha and ran into a frigid rainstorm that stopped me cold, so I spent an unplanned layover in Pinewood. On the plus side, the rest of the day was warm and sunny, and I got to spend a restful day in a beautiful little place that I would have otherwise passed by without a second thought. It's these serendipitous moments that make cross-country travel by motorcycle (and by bicycle on a local scale), worth the effort. It doesn't matter where you're going if you don't enjoy getting there.