PDA

View Full Version : Intro from the Midlands

Baron Karl D
05-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi,
recently lost use of private car, came across the AZ site. thought it would be a good alternative mode of transport.
i'm about as noob as they come, never touched a welder. heck I don't know if I'll take to it. not worked with metal before so will be a challenge to say the least.

Trying a Loadrunner to begin with to assist in the weekly shopping runs.

stormbird
05-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Hi there

get plenty of practice there will be off cuts to practice on and good luck.

Paul

Odd Man Out
05-16-2011, 02:12 AM
BKD
Welcome!
Word of advice;
Eye protection ALWAYS

Baron Karl D
05-16-2011, 06:21 PM
I've already looked at sources for all the safety gear. Helmet, goggles, gloves and fire retardant coveralls. there's some good deals on amazon at the moment. Just awaiting the funds to purchase them.

graucho
05-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Hello and welcome to the group.

Baron Karl D
05-24-2011, 03:56 PM
any one know of a reasonable on line source for metal resources?

stormbird
05-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Hi there

Well in the UK there is always someone selling steel on eBay , the big problem with online is that the postage generally cost more than the price of the steel !

The first place I got some from locally was a steel gate/railing manufacturer but he had to order 1/16" as no-one generally uses steel than thin [ they will tell you it can't be welded !]

I then found a local supplier myself , but I see from your first post you have no transport , going to be either tricky or expensive or maybe both !

Don't let me stop you , but a Loderunner is quite ambitious for a first build with your level of experience ?

I would suggest starting small and working your way up to that , why not scrounge some scrap steel say a old computer desk or some bikes and start with a trailer for a normal bike ?.

That could carry your groceries and give you some grinding/welding practice without the considerable outlay required to get a Loderunner started ?

Paul

ps where in the Midlands are you ?

KoolKat
05-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Welcome to the Atomic Zombie family Baron!

Baron Karl D
06-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Stormbird, i'm in Telford

Baron Karl D
06-01-2011, 05:46 AM
Had my first donation to day. an old apollo ladies bike. back wheel trashed. no brakes. But frame looks the bees knees.
Also, it's amazing what you find to use when you put your mind to it. looking to put some items on local freecycle, out comes the magnet - 1 x steel framed kids bed and 1x V strider - all steel. Candidates for the Zip disk ..... when it arrives. Got my son's old bike which is to small for him now, has 20 inch 36 spoke wheels. think I'll try for a trailer as suggested by stormbird to start with.

Any one tried taking one of thos full suspension frames apart. the frame is welded to the head tube top to bottom.

stormbird
06-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi there

Shame Telford is a little to far to physically help.

look at choppers they are easy to make and give you some confidence to tackle the larger projects.

Some in the books and ChopZone from the banner on here , I am chuffed to bits with mine and it is a stepping stone to greater things [ should that be bikes ? ]

If you think the steel is a little thin for a beginner say 1/16 or less ! then try to design joints that can have a internal sleeve [ same tubing just slit down it's length and hammered in will do ] this reduces the chance of burn through and will strengthen the early/first joints you try.

Paul

Baron Karl D
06-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Drafted Brother in law in to assist in welding. He's a welder by trade, so, hopefully should be able to teach me a thing or two whilst he's helping out.

TheJoker
08-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Hey there Baron.

Hope your project is well under way now. My advice to anyone wanting to try bike building is to just simply dive in and get on with it. You'll learn a lot and people's reactions are priceless when you roll down the road with your own bike.

I've used http://www.metals4u.co.uk/ for materials and they delivered by courier, very pleased.

I'm also building a cargo bike at the moment. It's my 2nd bike build and I'm hoping that (one day?!?) I could offer these for sale. But this one is nothing more than a prototype. It's a front loader, butchers bike kind of thing with the front wheel extended and steered through linkage.
Do you have a build thread here on AZ? If you do, please post a link to it. :)