PDA

View Full Version : Holesaw

Richie Rich
05-31-2008, 12:32 AM
.. There's a giant outdoor flea market near us that covers several acres. Each weekend, the place is full of vendors selling mostly junk. So, last Sunday, my 'bride' wanted to go and "LOOK AROUND". Any of you who owns a wife knows what those words mean...."Bring Money".

I tried my best to get out of going, but she muttered something about spending too much time in the garage and never enough "Quality Time" (whatever that is) with her. So, with great reluctance, off we went. As I expected, the place was packed with people looking for a bargain. Honestly, I've thrown away better stuff than these folks were trying to sell.

While she was looking at more dust collectors to bring home, I found a guy with a truck load of used tools. He had several tables full of boxes with rusty old tools. Apparently, he buys Estate Auctions and resells the stuff on eBay and at flea markets.

So, I'm just killing time and poking through the boxes and there's this holesaw. I rubbed off some of the dirt and grime and it turns out to be a Starrett 'Quick Shot" arbor and holesaw with a pilot bit. Those of you who know tools know that Starrett is a quality name and this combo would cost around $35 in the stores.

Since there were no prices on anything, I asked the guy in charge "How much?". I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough when he said "5 bucks"....!!

So, now I have no excuse for getting started on my next project since I own a nice, cheap hub flange cutting tool. Let the sparks fly...!!!

......Richie Rich >>

PS...."SHE" also brought home some little trinket to appease her so all is right with the World again.. :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2001/2538068500_2af2d28189_o.jpg

Pagan Wizard
05-31-2008, 03:15 AM
Nice find RR!! I got a brand spankin new 4 1/2 inch DeWalt hole saw with an arbor and pilot bit, from eBay a few years ago for $20 shipped to my door. I still can't believe that deal. Every store I found that hole saw at, it was at least $40 without the arbor and pilot bit.

TheKid
05-31-2008, 03:35 AM
Nice find. Let me guess. 2 1/8" for cutting in locksets for steel doors.
I think it would be cheaper to take your wife on a "midnight shopping" spree the next time you look for discarded bikes. Most of the stuff you see in flea markets and second hand stores are acquired that way. When we go out, there's plenty of competition from those guys, as well as the antique dealers around here.

SirJoey
05-31-2008, 08:23 AM
WTG, Richie! What a steal!

Back in my machinist days, I had lots of Starrett tools, so I can attest to their quality, as well as big cost! Definitely not cheap! They're of course, known mainly for their precision tools, but thy did make some cutting tools as well, as evidenced by your terrific find.

You always see lots of Starrett stuff around a machine shop, especially in the older guys' tools. Brown & Sharpe was one of the old-school names too, but now, the Jap stuff is getting a good foothold with their Mitutoyo stuff. Good stuff, & a little cheaper, but us old hard-shelled dudes still liked to cling to the good ol' American stuff. Besides, the Starrett stuff in black just looked a lot nicer than that green Mitutoyo crap...

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif

TheKid
05-31-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a hard time finding the Starrett hole saws. The only one I have is from an independent hardware store that specialized in tools, but they went out of business in the 80's.

robertwb70
05-31-2008, 01:56 PM
5 pages of Starrett hole saws (I just bought a bunch for my pedicab project)

http://tinyurl.com/6l9uyy

TheKid
05-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the link. If I remember right, the 2 1/8" hole saw with the arbor was $11 back in '84. Since then, I've been using Blu-Mol and Milwaulkee, both of which work very well. I don't know how long the others last because I don't use them that often, but I drilled well over 100 steel doors with the Starrett, and it still cuts with very little pressure.

Richie Rich
05-31-2008, 07:29 PM
...Let me guess. 2 1/8" for cutting in locksets for steel doors.BZZZZZZZ....Wrong....but thanks for playing. :)

It's a 3-1/2 inch and perfect for my flanges. As shown in the picture, it's been used very little and not overheated so I should be able to cut many flanges with it as long as I keep it oiled when cutting.

....Richie >>

TheKid
05-31-2008, 10:39 PM
Excellent. A very good size for making front hubs with disc mounts, using 1 1/2" OD tubing, (or 1 1/4" EMT) and flange bearings. If it's anything like mine, you'll be able to pass it on to your grandson with lots of life left in it.