PDA

View Full Version : square tubing

Timmy
06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Just wanted to post this as many people ask for a source of square tubing. Don't over look those old exercise machines at your local scrounging places. I bought this first one for $5.50 -
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/k/a/karlet/Strider.jpg
The was only $10 -
http://bellsouthpwp2.net/k/a/karlet/trike_files/image002.jpg

Pagan Wizard
06-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the AZ family..........great finds too!!

Richie Rich
06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Don't over look those old exercise machines at your local scrounging places.Good tip, Timmy. My van has a metal detector built into the front bumper and I stop for all 'Road Kill' made from steel. :D

In addition to exercise machines and bikes, also keep your eye out for bed frames. The angle iron comes in quite handy for projects such as a welding table, bike jig etc.

Welcome to the madness, Timmy....and best of luck with your projects...!!

.....Richie Rich >>

locolarry
06-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Scrounging stuff is half the fun! Heck, anyone can PAY for something!:D

robertwb70
06-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Scrounging stuff is half the fun! Heck, anyone can PAY for something!:D

Or at at least anyone with MONEY...I like to think of it as doing my part for re-Cycling.

TheKid
06-02-2008, 12:37 AM
I gotta start grabbing those machines on garbage nights. There are so many of them being trashed.
I have lots of bed frames, which have 1001 uses. Even before I started welding, I used the frames by bolting them together to make carts for trash cans, garden carts, frames for shelves, etc.

locolarry
06-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Robert W..
I don't have any money...I drive a truck for a living! The point is, I've always been a recycler, even before it was "in". I've always made stuff out of other peoples trash.
While stationed in SC after 'nam, recently married, NOOO money! my wife and I made furnishings for the apartment from old wooden hand grenade boxes; from barrels picked up on the side of the road, from cable reels etc. that's all we had! I wired up casings from fired 106 recoilless rifle rounds, used christmas tree bulbs in them, topped them off with glass ashtrays and used them as standing "end table" ashtrays..we dumpster dived before there were dumpsters! My pride and joy was a lamp made from the top of a lawnmower crank and a dummy MarkII hand grenade that we displayed on the top of the tv...White Trash...before "the movie"..
LocoLarry

locolarry
06-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to add that when the kids came along I made them toy boxes from old grenade boxes...replaced the original top with a piece of smooth plywood, then painted the box, then Shellacked it, added stickers or decoupaged it. Made a padded bench for the living room by upholstering a grenade box with a padded top and piano hinges...
We got by.., and nicely, too, thank you very much!
LL
Heck, we were so poor, my girls' only toys were old sparkplugs and a piece of string.......................:p

n9viw
06-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Doggone it, we used to HAVE one of those stupid 'Health Strider' things, too! Went to the curb, and the 'hoopties' got it (those old, beat-up pickups piloted by scrounging immigrants). Good call!

trikeman
06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Doggone it, we used to HAVE one of those stupid 'Health Strider' things, too! Went to the curb, and the 'hoopties' got it (those old, beat-up pickups piloted by scrounging immigrants). Good call!

I think my wife bought every one of those things they advertised on TV. She used them for a day or two, or maybe even a month before they became scrap metal taking up space in my garage. At least since I got a welder, I have a use for them now. One of my pet peeves is to see a "recumbent bicycle" listed on Craigslist, only to find out its an exercise bike.

Timmy
06-09-2008, 02:18 AM
When I saw that second exercise machine I could instantly see what it could be. Although I've not yet built the kingpins for it this is what I did with it .....

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/k/a/karlet/trike.htm

AtomicZombie
06-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Looks like it's coming along nicely. That was a cool way to transform an exersize bench!

Your site has a lot of good info, and thanks for the mention.

Brad

When I saw that second exercise machine I could instantly see what it could be. Although I've not yet built the kingpins for it this is what I did with it .....

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/k/a/karlet/trike.htm