PDA

View Full Version : New builder from WA

Kardolf
07-29-2011, 05:07 PM
Been looking at 'bents for a long time, but just got a welder, so I started cutting up spare bikes this week. First project will be a HighRoller, but I've always wanted a trike, so I'm sure that will be coming along as soon as I find the appropriate parts.

Thanks for putting together this community to go with your plans!

Radical Brad
07-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for jumping on in... and greets!!

Brad

Kardolf
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Made my first weld to day. Ever. As in, I have never welded before, and that is the biggest thing that has kept me from building a bike in the past. This is awesome, and I can't wait to get some more progress under my belt.

I put the cap on the back of my main boom for my highroller. Kept wanting to "practice" on some junk, but finally said, it's now or never. Turned out pretty good, I think.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Sevmb9Z_KeE/TjRV9lCbnrI/AAAAAAAACr8/QtSo-pkFLGA/h301/DSCN0124.JPG

ronbarnes
03-16-2012, 02:10 AM
What are you building currently? Where are you located in Washington. I am over by Clarkston/ Lewiston Idaho area.

Ron

river
03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
looks great and your skills will improve the more you weld

Old Peddler
03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Kardolf:

Where abouts in Washington do you live? I am in Lynnwood Wash north of Seattle. What type of welder did you get? Don't get sunburnt!!!

Kardolf
03-17-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm working on a HighRoller. Going with a 20" front wheel though. I don't have any recent pics, and the winter here has been cold enough that I have found other things to work on. However, the frame is pretty much done. I need to stop at the LBS and pick up a chain tool and a BB/crankset removal tool.

I also built a seat out of wood that I have to figure out how to finish and mount. It's gonna be heavier than I really want/need, but was a learning effort as much as anything.

I bought the Harbor Freight Flux Core Wire Feed welder, since my garage doesn't have a lot of electric options. I managed to find this one on a scratch and dent shelf for just over $50, which was an awesome price point, considering my lack of welding experience. I'm pretty hooked now, though, so at some point, I will work on getting a MIG unit, probably. I'd also really like to learn how to work with Aluminum, but I will save that for down the road.

I'm in the Kenmore area, and not too worried about sunburn today, although yesterday really was pretty outside! Of course, last I heard there was a possibility of snow tomorrow.