PDA

View Full Version : Episode 1 - Working In The Field

Radical Brad
08-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Kat picked up a video camera the other day and followed me around our temporary facilities for fun. We call this video "Working In The Field" since my welder is literally planted in the middle of an open field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5-XIkhqDk

We enjoyed doing videos so much that we intend to launch "AtomicZombie TV", which will offer tutorials, fun clips, and even complete builds.

We will be adding an "AZTV" link to the main page once we have a few more clips.

Cheers!
Brad

calcustom
08-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the tour.
When you get your buildings in and shop done your going to look back and shake your head.
Thanks again for your excellent plans and support.
You, Kat, and all the Zombies rule!

Trike Lover
08-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Really Enjoyed this video look into the heart of Atomic Zombie Central Command! Your patience and passion are commendable, to say the least. Hope you will make more videos, esp. during construction of projects, in the future.

Two things, one a question and one a suggestion:

1) If you put a pony panel up where your 230 volt incoming line is, you could split off 120 VAC and run a grinder up there as well. Wouldn't cost very much, and might save some hiking back and forth. Just a thought.

2) Where on EARTH did you manage to find all of those five gallon buckets? (I'm assuming that in true Zombie tradition, you did not buy them, LOL).

Looks like you and Kat are making a great start on your Dream Ranch. Best of luck to you both.

Odd Man Out
08-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Brad, Kat;
Vid was excellent -- as a faithful Zombie I felt totally nourished. Look forward to many more in the future. Your new place is wonderful -- sooo many new adventures to stumble upon in the coming years for you both. Good on ya! I wish you both all the best always.

Hey! At 3:40 in the vid you mention working on "Spirit short wheel base"... OKAY, SO GIVE UP SOME INFO ALREADY!!!!

maddox
08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I wanna come over and live over there...

Dave X10
08-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the tour! Was that bees I saw there too? Sure beats the city life.

graucho
08-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Ok, dang I love it there. You talked me into it. I'm putting in my AZ work application/resume then moving and joining your new Reality TV program. I've got 35 years in marketing and graphic media experience. 25 years of mechanical engineering experience, 20 years of welding and painting experience. Also the most important part of my resume... 53 years of swinging at flies, swatting mosquitos, picking off wood ticks and from living in Minnesota... taking my body from 35 degrees below zero to 105 deg above with 90% humidity. OH, did I forget to mention an expert beer and wine brewer. HaHaHa gotta get through the cold winters. A guys gotta do-what he has to do to be a Reality TV star. :jester: Seriously though, you two are very lucky to be there. Thanks for the tour!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/grauchosbikes/cabin/9532_101729039846960_100000295944029_43293_7655090 _n.jpg

Radical Brad
08-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all of the positive feedback! Kat strung that together in an hour or so, and it was fun showing off the (ahem) facilities!

We are going to jump deep into more videos for sure - fun stuff as well as tutorials and builds.

The buckets : yes, free thanks to a client I did some R&D for years back.
The haircut : yes, free thanks to my $20 buzz clippers!

The Spirit Short Wheelbase..... top secret!!
I bet it may surface next week though... stay tuned.

Brad

Ibedayank
08-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Brad
you just prove that you don't need a million dallor shop with one wall covered in snap-on,mac,and matco tools to get the job done.

Radical Brad
08-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Yep, a ten dollar shop with no doors and one wall covered in cobwebs is all ya need!
Actually, I like the breeze in there, and the lighting is perfect... might keep it for a while.

Brad

maddox
08-08-2011, 01:18 AM
But some electricity to get the welder in the shop would he a tad more comfy, doesn't it?

Radical Brad
08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
But some electricity to get the welder in the shop would he a tad more comfy, doesn't it?

My original plan was to string a pair of 15 amp cables from each bus to create a makeshift 30 amp run to the trailer, but the flooris so rotten and dry that it would probably burn down the first day. Being in a field of tall grass, that would not be good!

To "hack" a pair of cheap house wire runs onto a higher amp cable, I tied the hot ,neutral, and ground all together on each cable and ran them to the opposite ends of the bus (connected to a 40amp 240v breaker). I surely don't recommend such a hack, but did weld off one for 3 years. Even had my welder up to 175 amps for some rough "plasma" cutting.

Brad

Ibedayank
08-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Brad
how about using a shipping container or semi trailer up by the power pole?

tree
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
WowWowWOW!

I thought my garage was primitive because I've only got one 20 Amp circuit, which blows if I turn the space heater and the kettle on at the same time. ;)

Big props for doing so much with so little!!

I think I'd have given in and built a shed or garage within spitting distance of the power panel in the first couple of weeks!

Be mindful of the resistance and voltage drop on those long cable runs! You wouldn't want to set the whole field on fire - you'd burn down your computer tent. :rolleyes4:

I second Ibedayank's motion for a semi trailer. Or maybe a schoolbus. :punk:

darnthedog
08-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Gotta hand to you Brad. That was some tour and inspiring to say the least.

Thanks for the great show.

countrywill
08-10-2011, 04:56 PM
I loved the video. You have a nice looking chunk of land. I have a mower if you need it.. Keep the vids coming

ken will
08-11-2011, 10:16 AM
How about a video that shows these guys clearing the land for you?http://images.free-extras.com/pics/g/goats-451.jpg

Or How to convert a bicycle to a Spinning Wheel to convert these guys wool into yarn.
http://www.littlerascalsfarm.com/AngoraGoats_JAN08_11.JPG

Radical Brad
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
We actually looked at the possibility of having a few goats! But there were 2 real problems...

1) Going on any kind of holiday would be out of the question.
2) You cannot get fire insurance around here if you have a goat!

Brad

Trike Lover
08-11-2011, 01:52 PM
We actually looked at the possibility of having a few goats! But there were 2 real problems...

1) Going on any kind of holiday would be out of the question.
2) You cannot get fire insurance around here if you have a goat!

Brad

Are Ontario goats known for their talents as arsonists? Or do they just play with matches when nobody's watching? George Orwell, where are you?

Radical Brad
08-11-2011, 07:48 PM
It is odd, but I met one of the locals here and they were just heading to town to try a 3rd insurance company. Seems that goats like to chew wires and start fires. Never heard of this before, but with goats you need a special livestock insurance.

Brad

KoolKat
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey! At 3:40 in the vid you mention working on "Spirit short wheel base"... OKAY, SO GIVE UP SOME INFO ALREADY!!!!

Here's a teaser:

The real deal coming soon early next week.

Trike Lover
08-11-2011, 08:42 PM
Well, you really do learn something new every day. I would have thought thought that goats who chewed on electrical wire would be a self-correcting problem - BBQ goat for supper. I must file this tidbit of knowledge away under " facts you must know about running wiring with goats present".

64c10
08-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Kat, that is just plain mean, spiteful, and uncalled for. :rolleyes4: and i love it :punk:

John Lewis
08-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Ah, now can I unswirl the swirl?

Love the property. Can't get over how green it is. Summer here it's all mostly brown and dry.

We have a small farm right across the park. now surrounded by city. He has goats and sheep and a great vinyard and orchard.
I wonder how long he will be able to stay before the developers move in.

John

dirtydog
08-12-2011, 10:13 AM
brad that is excellent do you have to worry about snakes in the rough areas

Radical Brad
08-12-2011, 11:53 PM
There are a lot of snakes, but just garter snakes. Kat picked on eup the other day, and it was fairly tame about it.

Sorry about the scrambled "top secret" photo of the latest creation "Spirit"! Here is a better photo without any twisting...

http://www.atomiczombie.com/temp/SpiritPuzzle.jpg

More will be revealed as soon as the next AZTV video has FINALLY uploaded. 14 hours and it failed. I am now trying again. I have 2 of these to upload, and it is painful to wait for them!
If all goes well, the Spirit will be revealed in a video build log. The bike is actually complete already and I am writing the plan. Wish there was a faster way to upload 2.4GB to youtube!

Brad

Odd Man Out
08-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Man, I am gonna print the picture out, cut it up and figure it out!!!

Radical Brad
08-13-2011, 01:05 PM
It would be cool to see the image pasted back together manually, but I just ruined the puzzle...

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?5549-Episode-2-Part-1-Dodging-the-Rain-%28HD%29&p=52724#post52724

Brad