PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for episodes

KoolKat
08-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Add your suggestions to this thread.

"I would like to see a vid on how you deal with critical part building like back fork on a HighRoller. How do you make the forks hold to the boom before tack welding them. The main boom? Great work!" ~ tetraschrill, via YouTube

Odd Man Out
08-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Close encounters of the animal kind...

ken will
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Show that even Brad is not perfect. Show how easy it is to hit it with the grinder and re-weld.
I think most people have never done anything like this before and could be helped if they realize it is okay to make a mistake. There aren't any engineers looking over your shoulder ready to criticize the smallest imperfection.
Give them the confidence to jump in and try!

srdavo
08-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Show that even Brad is not perfect. Show how easy it is to hit it with the grinder and re-weld.
I think most people have never done anything like this before and could be helped if they realize it is okay to make a mistake. There aren't any engineers looking over your shoulder ready to criticize the smallest imperfection.
Give them the confidence to jump in and try!

I agree.

How about a blooper episode ??

KoolKat
08-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I agree.

How about a blooper episode ??

We'll have plenty of those! Won't bore you all with the amazing shots of my feet and the grass, though.

taytayou812
08-09-2011, 01:35 PM
How about "As The Wheel Turns" or "All My Bikes" or "Love Bike" or Delta Airwolf" or "The AZ Team" just to name a few.

darnthedog
08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
1) Grinding and cutting Techniques- On my 3 bottom bracket attempt. 14 cutting disc and several flap disk into making a BB for a trike. 2 attempts at making the plates round for the BB. I keep grinding too much and just need more pratice I know. But maybe a demo would help those of new to cutting and grinding. Been at it for nearly a year actual time and still not getting it write?

2) Clamping welding demo- Many pieces need to be joined and straight or aligned in one way or another. I had a rough time make the tee joint for a DeltaRunner for example. A demo of several different joints would be helpful.

3) Junk Yard parts- Demo what to look for when scavenging for parts. I grabbed a bunch of bicycles from various junk piles and now that I am working on the cycles there is a lot of frozen/ rusted parts. Maybe a salvage run showing us what Brad takes home and what he leaves behind.

4) Muilti part high speed recording of one of Brad's creations- Do a day to day recording of Brad building one of his creations and play it after the plans are up for sale for a month or rebuild a former design from ground up from his own plans.

How these suggestion give you some ideas.

graucho
08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
No matter what your videos are about it would be interesting to have a side kick that you are mentoring/teaching while constructing the build. You could explain the procedures to this person in each episode while they are getting hands on experiences, showing the world that an "average Joe" can build one of your bikes with just basic tools and a set of your plans. That "is" one of your trademarks. :rockstar:

PeterT
08-09-2011, 05:48 PM
and if RadBrad could have a female sidekick, that would help bring the female membership numbers up in AZland. Have her know nothing at teh start, and build her own custom bike from scratch up, showing how every little step is done ~ oops a mini series, not an episode

Odd Man Out
08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Close encounters of the animal kind...

I guess I should elaborate. Sure, do lots of vids that help promote the site and the biz but for those of us that have interacted and followed you and Kat for 5 plus years (Yikes!), you guys feel a bit like family so it would be interesting to know more about you two and the environment you are living in. The construction vids will have a great following but for me they will have a kind of "been there done that" staleness that won't grab my attention. Not to say that I won't be watchin -- jus sayin.

Radical Brad
08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the great ideas and input!

For the last 2 days, I have been learning the camera, taking video of the Spirit SWB build. I am going to hack the 2 hours into a pair of 10 minute clips and upload them soon. I covered some welding, grinding, and basic stuff I do on each build. I had the camera in one hand most of the time, so it is going to be documentary style.

It may be a few days though as encoding takes 4-6 hours and then uploading takes between 10 and 20 hours non stop.

When old man winter comes back, we are going to set up a basement video studio and do a complete bicycle autopsy right down to the last spoke. Will also get into the workings of the components and how to chop the frame into tasty little bits using an angle grinder.

I have been really enjoying the video stuff, but have a long way to go. Kat can string footage together much easier than I can, so I compensate by taking hours at a time for the cutting room!

Ok, off to "The Shop"...

Brad

calcustom
08-10-2011, 10:49 PM
How about a video highlighting tips and tricks welding tubing.

RunnerPack
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
I've thoroughly enjoyed the videos you've released so far. As others have said, please keep the "basics" videos coming. It's great to have a short, to-the-point, "how-to" on a specific process (like the frame chopping videos) so you don't have to devote a long viewing session or jump around the video to revisit something you didn't quite catch the first time.

For specifics, I would love to see one or more videos on coping ("fish-mouthing") various types of tubes to fit against various other types of tubes at various angles using an angle grinder. You could do some free-hand, and maybe also use some kind of coping software (http://www.metalgeek.com/static/cope.pcgi).

Also, +1 for some "it's okay if you mess up, here's how you fix it" kind of videos.

KoolKat
09-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Bike hacking basics videos: http://www.atomiczombie.com/DIY%20Tutorials.aspx Enjoy!

HPVTraveler
04-13-2012, 09:09 AM
I was wondering if AZ TV is going to go the way of the Flintstones?
Or will AZ TV have a new position in the New and Improved House of Atomic Zombie?

The reason that am asking was that am not getting past a error page.

Idris
04-13-2012, 10:32 AM
HPV if you go to the tutorials page and the webisodes page you can find some of them, I'm sure it's just a technical glitch not the end of the series ;)

KoolKat
04-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Greets. There are two sections for videos:

Tutorials (http://www.atomiczombie.com/DIY%20Tutorials.aspx)
Webisodes (http://www.atomiczombie.com/Mini%20Webisodes.aspx)

More AZTV stuff coming soon!

Russ52
10-08-2012, 10:49 PM
I have loved ridding a bike every since the first time I threw my leg over the seat,but as I got older I could not ride one very long and the pain took all the fun out of it. Then I found out about recumbent bikes and how to fab them up on this site. I purchased six plans off here and started building. I'm building a Timber Wolf trike for my brother and I'm going to start a Maurader in the morning, after I have my morning ride on my Voyager that i started riding back in March of this year. In that time I have lost 24 Lbs. and I feel great. Perhaps a short story about someone that has reeped the benifits, ( health wise) would be interesting to AZ fans and hackers.

Tradetek
10-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Nice job Russ!

KoolKat
10-26-2012, 02:18 PM
I have loved ridding a bike every since the first time I threw my leg over the seat,but as I got older I could not ride one very long and the pain took all the fun out of it. Then I found out about recumbent bikes and how to fab them up on this site. I purchased six plans off here and started building. I'm building a Timber Wolf trike for my brother and I'm going to start a Maurader in the morning, after I have my morning ride on my Voyager that i started riding back in March of this year. In that time I have lost 24 Lbs. and I feel great. Perhaps a short story about someone that has reeped the benifits, ( health wise) would be interesting to AZ fans and hackers.

That's a great idea. We do publish stories submitted by members of the community in our blogs and newsletters.

darnthedog
04-21-2013, 11:07 PM
A new suggestion for a tutorial - how to mount your freewheel adapters to axles. Maybe a video on drilling the axle to mount the adapters.

KoolKat
04-22-2013, 07:52 AM
That's a good one. Since more snow is in the forecast, maybe we could work on a tutorial like that.

darnthedog
04-22-2013, 08:11 AM
I have a few more projects on my list that I would like to build one day and as I don't have a drill press and Brad has the know how. I wanted to see how he manages to drill a straight hole through a 3/4 inch cold rolled axle to mount the adapters. With the new parts your now selling this would be like an instructional tutorial on how to mount them.
Thanks for taking it into consideration.