PDA

View Full Version : Three bikes, but one's ALUM....

ATX_Rider
08-14-2011, 09:13 PM
So I got three bikes, but I'm not sure it's going to work. Maybe you guys could help me out here:

Bike 1 - Tiara Pro Aluminum NEXT, 24 inch wheels (Jr bike, but big enough to fit a 5' 11" person) wheels with suspension (main reason I wanted it was for the suspension for the end of the Street)

Bike 2 - Northern Point Roadmaster MT Bike, 26 inch wheels

Bike 3 - Mt. Fury Roadmaster MT bike, 26 inch wheels

I'm a little worried about the different tire sizes and the ALU frame of "Bike 1" (which has the suspension). Maybe I should build the Warrior instead or do you guys think that I can do the StreetFox with those 3 bikes. Help, ideas, suggestions, anything please! Thanks a million!

-Excited and eager to start building (or just Tom) :)

Odd Man Out
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Bike 1: salvage wheels (24 inch don't really float my boat but they may come in handy sometime...), Fork, Suspension parts, headset, bottom bracket, cranks/pedals, rear triangle IF totally seperate. Toss frame (or send it to me...)
Bike 2: salvage everything -- same for Bike 3

You need 20" wheels for a trike so no, you can't do a Streetfox or a Warrior with what you have -- sorry. Keep hunting.

BTW, welcome to the madness and addictio... hobby! We Zombies feed on pictures! Again, welcome -- we are here to help and learn.

ATX_Rider
08-14-2011, 10:38 PM
So I should salvage the parts you listed off all the bikes including the rear triangle off the aluminum bike (yes I think it's separate and maybe even made out of steel) and scrap the frames? I'm hoping I can use all the parts for a StreetFox and just hunt down some 20" wheels because asking for forgiveness from the wife after I bring home another lot of bikes might cause her to call in a "intervention" (not saying I still wouldn't go get more bike though ;) )

Thanks for the help and advice. I'm stoked to build a trike and hit the paved bike trials out here in Austin, Tx and surrounding areas. I'll post pics later of the bikes so everyone can see what I'm working with.

Odd Man Out
08-14-2011, 11:24 PM
No -- keep parts from the steel frames -- look for the tutorial here on the site for how to dismantle frames for what you need (headtubes, bottom bracket shells, seat and chain stays, any long pieces of tubing that may be used). You are going to become close friends with mister angle grinder and mister zip disc if you have not yet had the pleasure.

I guarantee you that once you dive into this hobby that for some there is no coming up for air....

PeterT
08-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Air, isnt that that clear stuff found in unused sheds owned by non Zombies?

Air seems to be missing something, ... OHH I know! The smell of grinding wheels, welding fumes, and spray paint!

PeterT

ATX_Rider
08-15-2011, 02:28 AM
Been reading over the very detailed and very informative tutorials on breaking down a bike. A little overwhelming :rolleyes4: , but I'm confident that if I take it one step at a time and not try to rush through it, I can build one of these things in time for the fall weather (to hot to ride right now, these 103+ degree days are brutal).
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wsfaOdZF4Mo/TkipAk4-e8I/AAAAAAAAAog/HyD21uZvV-g/s144/2011-08-14%25252023.46.00.jpg
Bike 1 - The rear triangle of the aluminum frame bike.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qSOqIumf5LI/TkipBDsOFFI/AAAAAAAAAog/HVpwZNj3cUc/s144/2011-08-14%25252023.44.32.jpg
Bike 2

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5BpHUAyCMa4/TkipU2vZnQI/AAAAAAAAAog/fIzlNUFrg-I/s144/2011-08-14%25252023.43.33.jpg
Bike 3

Picasa is a little weird, so here is the link to the album if you need to see bigger pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/TSloan82/RecumbentBikeProject?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Ticktock
07-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi,
My guess is that the rear triangle on your suspension bike is steel--it just looks like steel.
But test it with a magnet if you are not certain (of course, it could be carbon fiber??)
Alloy frames are not much use to most of us, unless you reeeally know what you are doing with a welder!
But you will get a ton of stuff of those bikes that you can use later--derailers, hubs cassettes, cranks chainrings, .
nuts washers screws, levers, bars , bits of steel tube, headsets, bottom brackets , seat tubes, saddle mounts-etc.
My advice with wheels is the same as Brads---if its not alloy and new, buy new. So I would cut the hubs out of the wheels if I needed one. Wheel hubs can be very versatile once cut in half (freewheel adaptors, or welded to something else steering parts and tow hitchs).
26 inch wheels are not a lot of use for what you have in mind, but the rear wheels can be used on other on later(?) two wheel projects, so I would cut op the 24s first.
Hope that helps,
Steve G,
Beijing

David_s
07-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi,
My guess is that the rear triangle on your suspension bike is steel--it just looks like steel.

Yes everything on that bike except for the main frame is steel. Those Tiaras are actually quite heavy. But before you give up on that bike take a look at what I did with 1.
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/6524-MBB-my-6th-build?p=63552
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3InF03zwHvY/UAnEPWuBiQI/AAAAAAAAAjc/PckWvie917Y/s1024/07201544.jpg

TheKid
07-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Unless high speed is real important to you, the 24" triangle will be fine. You'll be better off getting either disc hubs for trikes with 12mm, 15mm or 20mm thru axles and 20" rims, or to make things easier, just buy front BMX wheels with 14mm axles. Normal 10mm and 3/8" axles can be used, but you'd have to support both sides of the axles. That's usually done by using the front forks.
I have 12mm axles on my Fox, I weigh 250 lbs., and have had no problems. I also have some Bitex hubs with 15mm bearings, but finding axles for them was difficult. That was a while ago, so maybe they're more common now.

ATX_Rider
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Ok, so it's been a while since I posted due to the fact that I moved and so my bike project got put on hold. That's the bad news, the good news is that I acquired a couple more bikes for a total of 7 including a BMX bike with two 20" "Mongoose Team Issue" flame tread design wheels sitting on a 48 spoke hub for free. When I got that bike a BMX friend of mine about had a stroke and told me those bikes cost a lot of $$$ (yet I see those same tires on ebay for like 12-24 dollars). I'm not sure of the axel size though so I'll have to check on that later.

I did the magnet test on the back suspension part of the Tiara Pro frame and it stuck (so I'm guessing/hoping it's steel). I've begun dissembling all the bikes and cutting them up based on the tutorials here on this site. I'm hoping that out of the 6 bikes I got I have all the parts (or at least 90% of them) that I need to make the bike.

So with the back end suspension frame off the Tiara Pro (that I'm thinking is steel) and the 20" BMX tires I'm hoping I'm set for the most part. Sounds like I just need a couple more things.

Pics of all the bikes

ATX_Rider
07-21-2012, 11:25 PM
...and the rest of the pics (can only attach 4 per post)