PDA

View Full Version : offer i cant refuse.

socialtalker
10-16-2011, 08:36 AM
thursday night i went to the local community bike shop here in detroit michigan to volunteer for parts. i had been one other time over year before. that time i worked a couple of hours and got a discount on a some parts. since then they have made more official polices for volunteering. the guy in charge last night told me, work 2 hours, get a part. then he dropped a bombshell.
[quote] after working 20 hours, you get unlimited bike parts[/qoute]

those were the words come out of his mouth
"unlimited bike parts"
i dont think i showed it on my face but my mind was doing the macarena! the volunteer hours are two nights a week 5-9, i can do sixteen hours these next 2 weeks and i did 3 last night, so by nov. i can be getting all kinds of parts.
i am already making a long list. i will still buy chains, derailleurs, brakes new. i think being a member you get 20 percent off stuff in the actual shop.
plus they have a pile of frames/bikes are are no longer good or broken in some way. the scrap people take them away, but i asked if they are available if people want them. i was told yes, for a few bucks as a donation. they are a non profit
this works very well for me. i need at least two frames, suspension frame for the cycle bully and a 26 inch frame for the meridian.

64c10
10-16-2011, 08:57 AM
:beatnik2: wow ST, sounds like you found a gold mine.:sunny:

socialtalker
10-16-2011, 12:37 PM
there are lots of community bike shops opening up all over the place probably offering the same programs. these non profits often borrow ideas from each other. one of the first things people should do when they get their plans is find out about it. they can put in two hours here and there before they start their project so they can hit the ground riding when they do start. i wish i had known about free parts earlier. i would have done mine thru the spring summer
i forgot to add they also offer child adult mechanics class. i am going to one right now. only thing is though they dont offer wheel lacing classes, too advanced they say. rats, it must be tricky for them. they do have wheel tuning however.

David_s
10-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Did a couple of Google searches and cant find anything still operating in the Dallas area. There is so much sprawl here it is not really a bike friendly place to commute. I don't think there is a single bike lane in the entire metroplex.

calcustom
10-16-2011, 02:51 PM
That is a great deal socialtalker.
I wish we had a place like that! :builder2:

Trike Lover
10-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow. "Unlimited bike parts". Visions of sugarplums dance in your head.....

Sounds like a fabulous find.

socialtalker
10-16-2011, 10:41 PM
went to class today. first of five classes. teacher was very good. its free
gave a donation and got my two frames and also two forks. its times like this when i wished i had a car or truck. i could have taken more" whatever i want". but i had to carry it on the bus. good thing i had a heavy steel dolly my father had made years ago and some bungee cords.