PDA

View Full Version : Control arm - left/right

darwin-t
10-28-2011, 09:16 PM
I think I screwed up my control arm.

There are several references to "mating control arm on the right wheel hardware", "right side control arm", "the control arm is for the right wheel, which is important for the chain to sneak under the seat alongside all of the steering hardware", "right control arm", etc.

Photos of the finished trike show the control arm on the LEFT wheel.

Long story shot, I put the control arm on the right wheel. Will I be able to sneak the chain through with it over there, or do I need to change it?

Radical Brad
10-28-2011, 10:38 PM
I am 90% sure you cannot make it work having the small control arm on the right wheel. The idler pulley will be in the way.

Brad

darwin-t
10-28-2011, 11:28 PM
I am 90% sure you cannot make it work having the small control arm on the right wheel. The idler pulley will be in the way.

Brad

You might look at your instructions. It is very confusing - there were probably more than a dozen references to the right wheel for the control arm.....

darwin-t
10-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I went out and looked at it and I think I can make it work. I can move the steering rods up and down enough to keep them out of the way. I won't know for sure until I get the pulleys.

Cloudchaser4
10-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I fell into the same trap - I made mine work, don't remember the details, have to go look one day. I want to remember I used a bit of shimming under the rod ends maybe? Also, I used some 1/2" X 0.04 4130 tube I had, there was an occasional chain rub on the control arm, I took some 1/2" ID clear plastic tube and slid it over the control arm to protect it - done.

Radical Brad
10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Will do, thanks for pointing that out.

Brad

river
12-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Cut it off and do it rt it will save you a big head ache. It confused me too and i did it over it was just tacked on. You will just make more problems it not worth it