PDA

View Full Version : height of rider and frame size

pumbus
12-21-2011, 04:33 AM
Hi! I have a plans, pipes, tools, wheels and evetyhing to build tomahawk but I dont know if I should modify a pipes in frame. Im a bit high 190cm (6'3").
For what height of rider is tomahawk designed? I think that if it is denigned for example for 170cm (5'7"), I could add 12% to length of pipes under chair and get a proper dimension.

darnthedog
12-21-2011, 10:11 AM
The beauty of building your own is you make it to your own size. Page 37 discusses this in fitting the seat. Page 72 talks of the boom length to accommodate the leg length. The important things to consider are the angles as they can determine your steering geometry and how stable the ride is. The great thing about building it yourself is if it is too short- you can hack it off and add length. It is is too long you can hack off a bit and adjust it. Good thing with working with metal is if it is welded correctly the weld is stronger than the metal. So adding an inch or taking it off will not hinder the total build. When I took a welding class the instructor told us a story about a bridge being built. The Engineer who did the drawing did not make the bridge long enough to reach the other side by a couple of feet. Rather than taking the whole thing apart and reordering the proper length they had a bunch of stick welders lay down beads. Then A group would come in and wire wheel it. Then the welders would lay another bead. 10K lbs of weld stick later the bridge was long enough. May have been more. But his illustration was that the proper welding can essentially replace the steel your welding. I would not recommend any new welder to build a bike from just welding sticks. But it is just to reassure you that if push comes to shove, you can adjust the bike YOUR building anyway you need to. If you read the forums everyone here makes adjustments and try's new things to make the bike work for them. Read through the plans a couple times then let the hacking begin as they say, and have fun.

SirJoey
12-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the Krew, Pumbus!
Good luck with your new project! :)

*** The **** Is My Shepherd! ***
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

Richie104
01-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Welcome Pumbus,
I don't know if you have seen but I'm getting close to completing my tomahawk, and I have details of the build in here. I'm 6' 4" so we're about the same size. I think that the 19" tube for the back of the seat is a little short for me really so I'm going to cut and re weld it. In hindsight I think I should of made it about 20.5" but other than that all of the other tube lengths seem about right for me.
I hope this helps you out
Richard