PDA

View Full Version : Is your job killing you?

KoolKat
12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Scary statistics. Thankfully, I like my job, my boss and my co-workers.

http://atomic-zombie-extreme-machines.blogspot.com/2011/12/is-your-job-killing-you.html#.TvNsgNWxmhg

David_s
12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
I am extremely stressed at the lack of a job.

charlie_r
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
David, here's something that I've found:

There are a couple of industries that seem to always need people. True the pay isn't much, but a little is better than none, right?

Restaurants are always needing dishwashers, and Newspapers are always needing carriers/substitute carriers.

There are many temp worker companies that might have need of your skills, for a day or two at a time. Again, a little is better than none......

stoobie
12-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Wow, I am blessed! I've been at the same company for about 15 years, I still look forward to going to work, and if anything I wish my boss would give me a little more to do. I'm certainly no expert, but I can't help but wonder how often people blame their jobs when their real problems may be financial or relationship oriented? How often do people say "I don't get paid enough" when they've overspent their budget? How many people say their job ruins their personal life when their personal life just isn't that great to begin with? I know I used to be that way myself years ago.
Dave, I have to agree with Charlie. The absolute worst job a person can have is looking for a new one, the hours are long, and the pay sucks.

locolarry
12-26-2011, 11:55 AM
Get a CDL..Drive a Tractor Trailer truck. Tough it out until you've got some miles in the seat...by then you'll be making decent money. Yes....it can be stressful...If YOU let it be stressful. It's not for everyone....everyone cannot do it..............successfully.. I've been very fortunate. As it turned out, I like my job and I make decent money. Best wishes, David-S., the New Year will be full of new opportunities for you!
Loco

stoobie
12-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Here's a work related website you might find inspiring, http://www.mikeroweworks.com/ . Mike Rowe, the host of "Dirty Jobs" claims there's a lot of work for skilled labor workers, and has set up a foundation to promote those jobs. I myself am a maintenance man - not at all what I planned to do with my life, but it has it's good points. After 15 years of it, I've done everything from clean toilets to setting up computer networks, which is perfect for my "Jack of all trades" skill set. If you're young enough, get a job as a janitor at a local college/university/trade school where employees are often given educational benefits for themselves and their families!

Dave X10
01-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Thirty years ago after a series of mistakes, poor choices, and bad luck I ended up unemployed and living in an old beater of a car. But things turned around for me after a period of time. I got a temporary job, then a crappy job, then a job I loved... that didn't pay very well.

Finally I got a really good paying new job in a new city. I hated the new city and the job that took me there. I learned that stress is optional... we don't have to choose to feel it. We have to try to effect things that we can't control... before we can experence the collection of emotions called stress. But, I still hated nearly everyday I spent at work. It did wear away at my health... and I knew it. But I told myself [day in and day out] it was better than living in the car again. I still think it was better to be productive than not. Living homeless isn't healthy at all.

I know there isn't any do-overs! But if there was I might go back to the job I loved... that didn't pay very well.

Omagasohe
04-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Sorry for the bump/gloating. I'm on the cusp of a massive change in my life. The us navy, the employer that I love, decided it was my time, no harm, no foul. But karma slapped my face and a better paying job landed in my lap, doing what I love. Keep faith, in what you have. Keep faith in what you can have. And spread it around. 2 people I work with refused to put in for the job I got. They are more qualified, but karma again. But that's my life. Be positive. But the months knowing all I had was gone led me here. So I look for ways to influence positive changes. So hopefully i'll start building monsters soon and hoping to start a bike building club around Norfolk, va