PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor winter fitness - snowshoeing

KoolKat
01-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Brad bought both of us snowshoes for my birthday so we can explore our property and get some much needed exercise, since we have at least another three months of winter.

Now, all we need is more snow. Never thought I'd wish for that!

Odd Man Out
01-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Wow
I may have lapsed in checking things out but last time I looked at pix of your abode it was rather primitive in nature. What a difference! Since I am nosey by nature I have to ask -- MORE pictures puleez. Would love to see your dream nest.

charlie_r
01-09-2012, 07:16 PM
From what I see out your door, you have enough snow for my liking.....but MORE would be nice!

AtomicZombie
01-10-2012, 04:13 AM
Wow
I may have lapsed in checking things out but last time I looked at pix of your abode it was rather primitive in nature. What a difference! Since I am nosey by nature I have to ask -- MORE pictures puleez. Would love to see your dream nest.

We still have to add rain gutters and siding around the center band and windows, but the outside is mostly completed...

http://www.atomiczombie.com/temp/house1.jpg
We call this the front. I built these temporary stairs using conduit and 1.4 inch square tubing. Hope to do a deck one day.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/temp/house2.jpg
The back side that faces our road. No basement windows on the other side because there will be a deck one day.
That thing on the left side is our XPlornet internet dish. We get dialup speeds and can only use 200mb per day before getting cut off.. ouch!

http://www.atomiczombie.com/temp/house3.jpg
View from the picture window. 120 acres of vacant and secluded Boreal land to look at.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/temp/house4.jpg
The unfinished basement where I shall dwell once I insulate the walls and make my office. 10 foot ladder for now!

House : Made in The USA
Basement : Made in Canada

We don't have any kind of garage at this time, so I will be working from the old construction trailer for 2012. One thing at a time.
We love it here on our remote ranch!

Brad

Odd Man Out
01-10-2012, 09:44 AM
Very very very cool -- thanks. You are livin the dream!

HPVTraveler
01-10-2012, 10:33 AM
When I lived in snow country (upstate N.Y.), we would go camping in the back woods on the farm. Dad owned 450 acres and rented another 1500 for our 80 head dairy. Some days I miss the farm. Sometimes I miss the winter time. When I am feeling really nostelgic I even miss them both.

Rad Brad & KoolKat, live the dream and enjoy all of our maker's work. As the rest of your extended familly looks on admireringly.

KoolKat
01-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Looks like we'll be testing out the snowshoes tomorrow. Getting some snow today and tomorrow. Wish us luck!

KoolKat
01-12-2012, 09:50 PM
So much for trying out the snowshoes today. Too bad I was looking forward to it. Got back too late from a meeting, and by then it was too dark to trudge around in our yard. There's always tomorrow.

darnthedog
01-13-2012, 07:22 AM
As it Friday the 13th maybe you should wait till Saturday to trudge around- Would not want to see anything happen to our favor couple. Besides who else is going to keep designing these great bikes.

KoolKat
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Well, I survived my first trek. No injuries, despite being Friday the 13th. I love this! Finally, something we can enjoy during the winter months instead of dreading the snow and cold. After half an hour of trekking through a small part of our front yard, I was sweating like crazy. Great workout!

Radical Brad
01-13-2012, 10:26 PM
... and I hid indoors doing tech. work!

Brad

savarin
01-14-2012, 07:47 AM
What absolutely gorgeous sunsets.
And I bet you get awesome borealis displays as well you lucky so and so's.
I've never seen the northan or southern lights, something I still have to do.
I can remember snow, a group of us decided to go scuba diving in the lake district one fine winter. Yeah, dumb, but if someone spat on the sidewalk we would dive in it.
We drove from london up to the lakes and arrived just as the sun was peering over the mountain top, pumped up the tent and went to sleep.
When we woke it was pitch black and we thought we had slept the whole day away.
Unzipped the tent and the foot or more of snow fell in.
Stupid design those igloo tents.

socialtalker
01-14-2012, 03:51 PM
you being out in the country there is cross country sking too!

Well, I survived my first trek. No injuries, despite being Friday the 13th. I love this! Finally, something we can enjoy during the winter months instead of dreading the snow and cold. After half an hour of trekking through a small part of our front yard, I was sweating like crazy. Great workout!

KoolKat
01-14-2012, 08:59 PM
you being out in the country there is cross country skiing too!

Yes, too bad I have skate skis. Will have to trade them in for regular x-country ones. Used to love x-country skiing when I was a kid. It was a regular family outing. Very fond memories of being outside enjoying Nature, huddling together with our thermoses of hot chocolate and soup, and mom's homemade sandwiches. My fascination with Little House on the Prairie had turned into reality. Went snowshoeing again today with our dog, who lasted about half of the trek then headed back up the hill. Nothing beats watching the birds pecking at my homemade suet treats. What a great day!

KoolKat
01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
We've seen some pretty awesome Northern Lights out here, plus the Milky Way is so bright on a clear night, it's difficult to sleep with all that light coming in. Everything out here is so amazing. Anytime you want to experience a Northern winter, lemme know! We won't make you sleep in a tent, though. :-)

What absolutely gorgeous sunsets.
And I bet you get awesome borealis displays as well you lucky so and so's.
I've never seen the northan or southern lights, something I still have to do.
I can remember snow, a group of us decided to go scuba diving in the lake district one fine winter. Yeah, dumb, but if someone spat on the sidewalk we would dive in it.
We drove from london up to the lakes and arrived just as the sun was peering over the mountain top, pumped up the tent and went to sleep.
When we woke it was pitch black and we thought we had slept the whole day away.
Unzipped the tent and the foot or more of snow fell in.
Stupid design those igloo tents.