PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Grand Junction CO

wobut
02-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Hello, I am brand new to bike building. I've spent well over 200 hrs researching everything I can find about building recumbent trikes. This has been my favorite site since I found it. It seems like the best place to start for a beginner and the sky is the limit. I have begun to build a streetfox, I am also adding electric assist. I took my first test ride this week! I hope to start a Warrior soon. Wobut

KoolKat
02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks and welcome to the AZ family. We love pictures!

wobut
02-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Here are a couple pics of the work in progress.

Sasquatch
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Wobut,

Nicely done, she's a beauty. Had a question for you. What is the maker of the hub motor you chose for your electric assist? I've been kicking around the idea of adding it onto my build, and am weighing out my options.

Regards and happy building,
Sasquatch

wobut
02-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Wobut,

Nicely done, she's a beauty. Had a question for you. What is the maker of the hub motor you chose for your electric assist? I've been kicking around the idea of adding it onto my build, and am weighing out my options.

Regards and happy building,
Sasquatch

The motor is a cheap one from LAShop. Its a 36v 800watt, its about $250.00 with controller, throttle, brakes, no batt. I have only run it a couple of miles. It got the trike up to 25mph pretty fast. I wanted to try a cheap motor figuring it may not be too reliable, hoping for some good luck though. I believe its made by CONHIS out of China. It blew a 30amp fuse, easily replaceable, and I cant blame the motor as the trike was not set up to run properly at the time. I want to purchase a Crystalyte setup but this was my quick fix until I can fund that. The bike is converted to pedal power for now to set up bike components. I hope to have it completed, with motor, in the next couple weeks and will give the the hub a fair shakeown. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have and I will certainly update here as to its perfomance. I could not find many reviews of it on the internet. Cheers, Wobut

wobut
02-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Went for my first ride, did about 15 miles, very comfortable. E assist was great, got me up a mile and a half medium hill no problem and was just plain fun otherwise. I will continue to make some adjustments to a few things. Very satisfying, Thanks Brad for the great plans!

charlie_r
02-27-2012, 07:33 AM
All I can say is "I gotta get me one of these!" (will smith, independence day)

Great build! I'm sure it is a blast to ride.

What's next? warrior or a delta?

wobut
02-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Up next, 2 more streetfoxes for the wife and boy. Been collecting parts religiously and I,m ready to build again, I think I can get both pedaling in under a month. Then yes, a warrior, very excited. Then a modified quad, then a solar powered tandem quad, then... I'm going crazy!

charlie_r
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the obsession......

wobut
03-16-2012, 10:40 AM
I've gotten about 75 miles on the motor so far. I've run steep hills, stop and go, bad terrain, so far all had gone perfect with the motor, no fuses blown, no overheating. Its got respectable torque and gets me (210lbs) up to 24mph quickly, so far its been a blast. Hopefully it keeps it up, its way fun!

river
03-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi mi think that a magic pie mptor you should have any problems with that as long as you don't overvolt it or hit pot hole with it. How many Amp hours is it. That's about how fast my warrior goes with a amp motor on it They are a blast Great build. it only gets better.

Old Peddler
03-16-2012, 02:08 PM
How many Amp hours is it. .

River: A better question would be a question about what kind of power output does it use in Watts. One watt is the rate at which work is done. That would be a question concerning performance.

river
03-16-2012, 04:38 PM
That's true but i really wanted to know how long it will last My motor is 800 watts i know they can draw a great deal of wattage if you have a controller set up for that.If you want more speed over volt it Just make sure your controller set up for it. the controller has to be set up for the rt voltage limits or it just might cut out to soon or not even work if voltage is higher then it set point Running more watts will give you more torque ans higher voltage increases the motors rpm giving you more speed You motor would be faster set up for 48 volts . How much speed do you want on these . 25 enough for me

wobut
03-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I don't believe my controller is programmable. The whole system minus batt was prewired and came w/o instructions for programming and no specs on the controller. It was not sold as a Magic Pie, no manufacturer was listed in fact. Through research I believe its made by Conhismotor in China. The batt by Golden Motor is rated at 36v 12AH with a continuous discharge rate of 20A with a max of 35A. By my calcs at 36v and 800w I'm drawing about 22A which means the batt should last about 1/2hr at full speed on flat terrain. The trike moves along about 24mph so I should get about 12 miles no pedaling full throttle. This is a test I have yet to perform. In the near future I hope I can get a good battery/bike computer that can feed real time data to me. Weather permitting I will do a full motor/batt run Monday or tuesday, this will be my favorite test yet. With this motor I will not mess with overvolting as I want to keep it running as long as possible cuz its so fun. For now 25mph seems plenty fast.

river
03-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Stock controllers are set up for a certain voltage. You would have to buy one that is programed for the voltage you want . the better controller are programmable with your computer but there allot more expensive. i run 37 volts in mine which is around 42 volts fully charged. 25 seems fast to me to on a warrior

wobut
03-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I'm hoping to use a crystalyte set up on one of my upcoming trikes which will come with the capability to program voltages and manage the overall system, that will be exciting just have to sell my old FJ40 lancruiser first. As for this build I will leave it as is for now. I wouldn't want to do better than 25 as the rear end seems subject to substantial side loading with my weight.

wobut
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Got my first "How much did you pay for that bike" on the trail the other day! Thanks again AZ! This is too much fun!

river
04-14-2012, 11:20 PM
I was referring to the battery
River: A better question would be a question about what kind of power output does it use in Watts. One watt is the rate at which work is done. That would be a question concerning performance.