PDA

View Full Version : Loderunner Mods......plus a nifty looking model!!

Mom-mobile
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM

The Loderunner Model!
-Was concerned that an un-modified Loderunner might not have the dimensions/finished shape I was looking for, so thought I would build a balsa replica of the plans and have a look at the end result (thinking in terms of the enclosing canopy shape...am shooting for curvy, roundy....a bit on the bubble-ish side). And, sure enough, the original Loderunner is a bit narrow to make curvy. Initially, I was thinking to go with the Kyoto (easy to make curvy with that wide backend....but did not want the dual drive system, and driver to one side. Plus it's a bit heavy for wimpy lil me to pedal around this hilly town by myself.

The balsa model made it alot easier to try to design the enclosure support system, too. I.e., if I could "SEE" what I have available to mount "TO", then it gets easier to figure out. Sometimes drawings just don't cut it... Basically, to accomplish the overall finished shape I want, I need to widen the back box-frame to about 42", and lengthen it to 27" (gotta allow for growing kids), and shorten the main boom to 55" (robbed 3" from boom and gave it to the box). This allows for seating room behind driver, and for a roll bar above the front of the box area (not that I plan to roll this baby...) to help support the enclosure. But, am I now putting too much weight in the back, and is the front end gonna rise up on me??? The "roll bar will be made of the lightest round tubing that will do the support job and stand up to the wind. Not sure yet exactly what size tubing it will be. Whaddaya'll think?? Will it be too back heavy based on what you've read thus far?

Am now hacking n glueing larger-rear-box mini-model, and will make a mini-canopy too. Will post pic when done in a day or 2, and you guys can finally see what the heck I'm getting myself into.

On the plus side, I scored a free Nishiki Road bike yesterday (yay! free is good!...well, ok, I have to bake some oatmeal cookies for it....from the volunteer gang at Habitat for Humanity ReStore) with some lovely newish looking SunTour Arx Deraileurs/shifters, and Sugino crank. Looks like it was hardly ridden. I will get a mechanic to verify worthiness before I use the parts, tho.

Phew! When can I start building??? Argh! Patience is not one of my virtues! But I do not want to "unbuild" because I missed an aspect of the complete structure.

Sigh....(I want the welding to begin...!) : (

Mom-mobile
02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Dang! I tried to post the photo of the model, but it won't go...Sorry!

Mom-mobile
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Yay! I think I figured out photo-posting! Here's the mini-model-in-process....am experimenting with different frame placements. Note wider cargo box. Maybe add a crossbar in the middle, for support?

TexasTuff
02-03-2012, 06:24 PM
WOW, look at you go.
Be careful and check out the places where you plan on riding. Some of the paths in some areas have barriers to stop car traffic. That has been a problem some people have had riding trikes that are to wide. You might have to lift it over the barrier post at the entrance to the path instead of riding through.
Looks like your covering all the bases before building.

Mom-mobile
02-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Done like dinner! I already drove around and measured back in December. The narrowest path entry/exit in town is 52" between bars, so at 48" outer tire edge to outer tire edge, I would still have 2" either side to spare.

But.....the big question now is: What material to use for the canopy support frame? Need lightweight....maybe steel electrical conduit?? Cheap, lightweight...

: D

PeterT
02-03-2012, 07:18 PM
M-M,

look into using flexible fibreglass tent poles bent over your frame, and connected to the bottom frame... lightweight, flexible, inexpensive, and easily removed for spring cruising, reinstalled for winter shopping etc

PeterT

Odd Man Out
02-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Look at post number 27 in this thread:
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?4667-RedRocket-and-Bruiser-Aluminum-DeltaWolves&highlight=bruiser
It may help in your design

Odd Man Out
02-03-2012, 08:15 PM
But.....the big question now is: What material to use for the canopy support frame? Need lightweight....maybe steel electrical conduit?? Cheap, lightweight...

: D

Might want to look at the materiels used in tent pole construction - light, bendable into flowing curves yet strong.

Mom-mobile
02-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Hi, Peter T!
Great minds...!! Have been playing with that idea this very day!
May go that route for the backend...but the front end will need
a bit more support for the plexiglas "windshield". I plan to keep the
cover/enclosure on yr-round, but with removable windows, back hatch, etc.
I'm going to want air flowthru in the summer months. So the trick is to figure out lightest material, as well as configuration...what you see in the model photo are the initial canopy framing pieces...still finalizing the rest..
This has been a challenge, but am finally feeling like I'm moving forward!

PeterT
02-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Yay! I think I figured out photo-posting! Here's the mini-model-in-process....am experimenting with different frame placements. Note wider cargo box. Maybe add a crossbar in the middle, for support?

if you can find some 3mm polycarbonate/lexan, it will be supple enough to be around the front end, and strong enough to deflect the wind.

The best way to work out how to aero your ride is this:
biggest/fattest/widest part should be 1/3 from the front.
any join lines along the sides should flow horizontally.
if you put a floor pan in, taper it from front to fattest bit, and then taper back up towards the rear.
any frontal curves should be smooth, and, if possible, seamless.
air flowing over the top of your head/helmet from windshield to back of head support should be a smooth arc.

If you are as talented with a sewing machine, as you are at model making, run some fine wire over your model and get the shape/protection/fairing you want, and then make a tent type fairing to follow those wires, roll up windows/doors, and you have a 4 seasons, lightweight canopy.

With your rear roll bar, measure how high you sit from your seat with your helmet on and add only 2-3" max. this will lower the frontal area considerably, unless your passengers are sitting on top of the back tray, then work out how high they will be & give them some growing room, (should be about the same height as your seat (+/-)

PeterT

Old Peddler
02-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Hi, Peter T!
Great minds...!! Have been playing with that idea this very day!
May go that route for the backend...but the front end will need
a bit more support for the plexiglas "windshield". I plan to keep the
cover/enclosure on yr-round, but with removable windows, back hatch, etc.
I'm going to want air flowthru in the summer months. So the trick is to figure out lightest material, as well as configuration...what you see in the model photo are the initial canopy framing pieces...still finalizing the rest..
This has been a challenge, but am finally feeling like I'm moving forward!

How about forming chicken wire and covering it with your fabric. That will be light and hold it shape.

Mom-mobile
02-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi, Old Peddler,
what a cool thought! Chicken wire holds it's shape well, doesn't it? Nifty! And talk about lightweight!

savarin
02-04-2012, 10:01 PM
what about carbon fibre arrow shaft material, might be worth looking at.
Never seen it myself but have heard of people using it for other fields.