PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Bracket removal (Mongoose XR200)

arms10
02-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm a novice when it comes to removing bottom brackets--I want to use one from a donor bike to build my Spirit SWB but after removing the screw caps and the pedal screws, the bottom bracket on the donor bike--a Mongoose XR200--won't budge. What's the best way to loosen it up without damaging anything? Thanks in advance for your help.

river
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Are you trying to separate the suspension swing arm or peddles. For swing arm i just back bolt out a little and whack it with a mallet, that should separate it enough to remove it with a drift punch

arms10
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Are you trying to separate the suspension swing arm or peddles. For swing arm i just back bolt out a little and whack it with a mallet, that should separate it enough to remove it with a drift punch

The pedal armature (for lack of a better phrase).

savarin
02-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Is it a 3 piece crank?
Most modern bottom brackets have sealed bearings in a cartridge.
A special tool is required to unscrew the splined nuts.
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tools/bottombracket.html
the first one is probably the most common.
One side is usually plastic with the other side being metal. You should only have to remove one side but I cant remember which side.
Remove the crank arms first as this then gives access to the splined nuts
http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cartridge.html

darnthedog
02-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Check out the AZ TV bearing basics- Brad made a video how to take apart the BB.

arms10
02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Check out the AZ TV bearing basics- Brad made a video how to take apart the BB.

Managed to remove the bottom bracket but can't use the frame because it's aluminum.

arms10
02-18-2012, 06:11 PM
Managed to remove the bottom bracket but can't use the frame because it's aluminum.

I may be able to get one off an old Ross 10-speed. It's nestled deep in a storage shed and I couldn't tell if it's a single or 3-piece. Will find out Monday.

arms10
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
I may be able to get one off an old Ross 10-speed. It's nestled deep in a storage shed and I couldn't tell if it's a single or 3-piece. Will find out Monday.

It's actually off an old Montgomery Ward "Open Road" 10-speed. Kept 8" of seat tube just cause the instructions told me to.:cheesy:

Got a crankset that'll fit, so I'm set in this department.