PDA

View Full Version : New thread titles needed!

Old Peddler
03-29-2012, 05:42 PM
How do you guys feel about the following:

When we respond to a thread would it not be a value to be able to post a title to our response. Thus signaling what topic our response is about? I find that not having this ability makes finding source material very hard to find or keep track of. Also as a take off of that I think that new thread titles need to be implemented every so often to reflect topic. Some threads carry on so long that the title has long lost it original meaning.

What are the thoughts of others on this?:1eye: :rolleyes4:

KoolKat
03-29-2012, 06:52 PM
We've been managing forums for more than 10 years and have found that allowing posters to constantly change thread titles leads to threadjacking. The thread title = the topic = the theme.

Our older forums did allow for title changing options, but they were a nightmare to manage and caused confusion, plus it was unfair to the Original Poster who started the thread on a particular topic. Individual's post title responses often had nothing to do with the OP's thread topic, were nonsensical and led to threadjacking. It's an "all or nothing" option; it's just the way these software programs are written. So, for the time being, changing thread titles can only be done by an administrator.

If the OP feels the thread discussion has wandered off topic from his/her original intent, he/she can request that the thread be closed and he/she can start a new thread topic. It's not the length of the thread that matters; it's the flow of discussion within that thread, centered around the OP's thread title.

Do you have an example of a long thread with "the title that has long lost it original meaning"?

arms10
03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
I prefer the title stay the same; it seems it would be simpler to peruse when you're looking at search results.

And if the thread wavers, there's always the bullhorn known as BTTT!:)

KoolKat
03-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I find that the :offtopic: icon works well, too. Nice avatar, BTW.

Old Peddler
03-30-2012, 03:07 AM
We've been managing forums for more than 10 years and have found that allowing posters to constantly change thread titles leads to threadjacking. The thread title = the topic = the theme.

Our older forums did allow for title changing options, but they were a nightmare to manage and caused confusion, plus it was unfair to the Original Poster who started the thread on a particular topic. Individual's post title responses often had nothing to do with the OP's thread topic, were nonsensical and led to threadjacking. It's an "all or nothing" option; it's just the way these software programs are written. So, for the time being, changing thread titles can only be done by an administrator.

If the OP feels the thread discussion has wandered off topic from his/her original intent, he/she can request that the thread be closed and he/she can start a new thread topic. It's not the length of the thread that matters; it's the flow of discussion within that thread, centered around the OP's thread title.

Do you have an example of a long thread with "the title that has long lost it original meaning"?

Koolkat: I worked on your question with a example on my word program on my computor but now I don't know how to upload a document. Pic's are no problem. I don't seem to be able to upload a doc. It is to long to cut and paste. I tried working with the atachments manager but it won't except a url from my computer. Aparently I need to up load it to a manager like photo bucket only for doc's.

Untill then, take a look at this thread:
Re: 26" Wheel on the front (Possibly a work log later on)

Rich, I hope you will forgive me for using your thread as an example.

Read through this thread and you will see that the title has very little to do with what the thread is really all about. Now if i were looking for the information about what his build is all about that title would not pik my interest. It definitely needs a new title reflecting the subject matter.

There are many more of these.

KoolKat
03-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Koolkat: I worked on your question with a example on my word program on my computor but now I don't know how to upload a document. Pic's are no problem. I don't seem to be able to upload a doc.

Pics are allowed, but no documents. The database would be huge, and so would site storage costs, meaning this site would no longer be free for members and guest. :(

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php?5533-26

Understood, however, since the discussion is still active, the OP can suggest a new thread title.

We could sit here all day, every day changing thread titles, but that wouldn't be the best use of our time, nor do we have the luxury of oodles amount of free time after a full-time job.

If the OP feels the title needs to be changed, then it's up to the OP to notify an administrator. That's the proper procedure.

Old Peddler
03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
[QUOTE=KoolKat;59994
If the OP feels the title needs to be changed, then it's up to the OP to notify an administrator. That's the proper procedure.[/QUOTE]

I believe that I have been misunderstood. I am not coming from the perspective of the OP as you and others who have responded have.

I am coming from the standpoint of one who is searching for posts within threads to read by judging the subject matter that is within the thread. No "Bullhorn" there.

Maybe I don't understand the process that you have set up that requires your input on the threads replies and their titles. I thought that we simply filled in the title as we reply to a thread thus reflecting what we are writing about in our reply. I think of chapters within a book; a book title and then the chapter titles within the book.

This is not meant as a criticism of the system but hopefully trying to improve the ease of relaying information.

KoolKat
03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I thought that we simply filled in the title as we reply to a thread thus reflecting what we are writing about in our reply. I think of chapters within a book; a book title and then the chapter titles within the book.

No, that's not how it works. The OP starts a new thread and chooses the title, thereby setting the theme and tone of that particular thread. Members respond by posting within the thread relative to the thread topic. This helps to prevent threadjacking.

I don't know how else to explain it, other than to suggest putting keywords and phrases in quotation marks when using the Search function if you are looking for something specific within a thread or post.

Years ago with other forum software we used, posters could change the thread title of their individual posts. It was a nightmare to manage and led to so much threadjacking, that option was disabled permanently.

I belong to some forums where members were allowed to change the title of their individual posts when responding to a thread, but the admins and mods realized that such a feature interferes with the logical flow of discussions within threads, often leading to threadjacking, and they disabled that function, too.

You can also use the Advanced Search option that can narrow down search results for particular keywords and phrases.

Old Peddler
03-30-2012, 02:33 PM
No, that's not how it works. The OP starts a new thread and chooses the title, thereby setting the theme and tone of that particular thread. Members respond by posting within the thread relative to the thread topic. This helps to prevent threadjacking.

I don't know how else to explain it, other than to suggest putting keywords and phrases in quotation marks when using the Search function if you are looking for something specific within a thread or post.

Years ago with other forum software we used, posters could change the thread title of their individual posts. It was a nightmare to manage and led to so much threadjacking, that option was disabled permanently.

I belong to some forums where members were allowed to change the title of their individual posts when responding to a thread, but the admins and mods realized that such a feature interferes with the logical flow of discussions within threads, often leading to threadjacking, and they disabled that function, too.

OK, I would suggest that this thread be closed.