PDA

View Full Version : Refurbish old chain or not?

Evox_Rider
04-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Just wondering if its worthwhile to try and refurbish, if that is even possible, some old the old chain that is removed from donor bikes. For the most part, these bikes have been left out in the weather for quite a while and chains are almost rusted almost immovable, while others still moved ok but still rusty.

Would sitting them in any kind of solvent or solution be able to bring them back into service? Or not worth the bother? In the effort to try and reuse as much of the donor bikes as possible, that's why I ask. Then there is different chain sizes, skinnier ones etc, and I don't imagine you would be able to piece several pieces of various chain together without trying to determine if they are the same thickness of links.

Radical Brad
04-10-2012, 10:53 AM
If the links are stiff, then not worth the effort. You will have popping all the time in your rear derailleur.

Brad

savarin
04-10-2012, 04:13 PM
If rusted solid not worth the effort. If rusted but moveable I use them in the testing phase and for setting chain routes etc so the new chain doesnt get dirty or weld spatter on it.
I always use new chain now once the bike is completed and finished.

AmyBrown
07-21-2012, 06:19 AM
You can use Chain lubricants that deal with this by mixing a thick oil-type lubricant with a volatile solvent, solvent evaporates and leaves the thick oil behind. This is the best option.

BadKarma
07-21-2012, 06:27 AM
You can use Chain lubricants that deal with this by mixing a thick oil-type lubricant with a volatile solvent, solvent evaporates and leaves the thick oil behind. This is the best option.

Amy, it might not be a good idea to have your address as your location. Everyone can see it. ;)