PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 3WD Tadpole Trike from Russia

Trike Lover
05-11-2012, 05:44 PM
A cycle-mad friend in New Zealand sent me the pics below of a three-wheel-drive recumbent tadpole rear-suspension trike that is in the pre-production stage in Russia. Ordinarily, I would not mention commercial builds, but this one has a couple of features that might be of interest to future Zombie creations. The builder's name is Alexei Soloviov, and he calls his creation the S4 3x3. The two front wheels are driven via drive shafts and universal joints, and the rear by chain & sprocket. He didn't mention anything about a differential mechanism, and it isn't obvious in the photos. I believe he has or is in the process of putting together a web site.

Apparently there is a group of home-builders in Moscow called "Club Rastabike Moscow, and they have built several other unusual bikes, trikes and velomobiles.

4282 The "S4" three wheel drive trike with rear-wheel suspension.

4284 Detail of the mid-drive Derailleur. At first glance it looks like a single chain on top, but there are actually two identical sprockets on the inside, with one chain leading to the rear wheel and the other connecting the pedals to the Derailleur and front wheel drive axles.

4283 Detail of the front wheel drive Universal joint. I believe the braking is via drum brakes.

Radical Brad
05-11-2012, 08:08 PM
I have drooled over the AS4 (Sputnik) trike for almost 10 years now! I considered the FWD ratchet system on a project once, but... all of that machining!

Brad

Trike Lover
05-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Yes, it would be quite the undertaking. I imagine there have been several earlier prototypes. The problem of universal joints is an interesting one - it begs the question of whether some existing manufactured part could be "adapted" to do the job. As to driving the two front wheels at once, would you use a ratchet to create something akin to an over-running freewheel on one side? An interesting problem. I googled the builder's name, BTW, and he has quite an extensive web site - lots of pictures and specs, and a few videos. The frame is aircraft aluminum alloy, the welding of which must be a headache if they're setting up to produce these in quantity. (For a bodge welder like me, anyhow). :jester:

Radical Brad
05-12-2012, 06:30 PM
The S4 has a ratchet inside the freewheel adapter, and I think it drives the left side directly, letting the right side overdrive. It's a damn nice piece of work, that's for sure!
I wonder how much the spline has to shift in the drive socket in order to accommodate the center point angles? Probably not enough to make the steering feel stiff when applying torque.

Brad

socialtalker
05-13-2012, 03:04 PM
what a beautiful universal joint, wish i had it for my welding cart

Trike Lover
05-13-2012, 03:37 PM
The S4 has a ratchet inside the freewheel adapter, and I think it drives the left side directly, letting the right side overdrive. It's a damn nice piece of work, that's for sure!
I wonder how much the spline has to shift in the drive socket in order to accommodate the center point angles? Probably not enough to make the steering feel stiff when applying torque.

Brad

Brad, you're sure right about the quality of the work. It's a real Swiss watch piece.
I was downstairs last night playing with some 1" square drive extension bars and universal joints from my socket set. I suspect if a person could get lubrication into the tool-box universals, along the pivot axles, they would serve for a Zombie FWD.

I'm having a harder time figuring out what might adapt as a ratchet and spline or slip-joint to combine with the freewheel - the requirements are demanding. For a slip joint, it might be possible to get two pieces of square tubing, or a piece of tubing and a piece of square bar, to function effectively. I've seen square-section slip joints on equipment that attaches to a farm tractor via a 3 point hitch. They're low speed, but then so's a trike. Regular grease injections are needed with those, however.

Something I've seen elsewhere is nagging in the back of my mind re: a ratchet, but I cannot bring it to the forefront at the moment.

There are a lot of good ideas on that trike apart from the 3WD - the rear suspension and single-side axle also caught my eye - it's very neatly done.

Old Peddler
05-13-2012, 04:20 PM
what a beautiful universal joint, wish i had it for my welding cart

There are all sorts of high quality universal joints that size used in steering shaft applications.

OP

Trike Lover
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
There are all sorts of high quality universal joints that size used in steering shaft applications.

OP

Very good point, thank you. I think there are also some drive axle/universal joint combinations on 4WD quads.

It would be ironic if parts from one such noisy crate could go into an exhaust-free Zombie trike......
TL

JohnDevitt
10-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Man, Russia takes the cake when it comes to innovation sometimes. :)