PDA

View Full Version : Which design? this weight is killing me.

Aurbo
05-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Greetings

My first post.

I'm nearly 300lbs, no excuses or whining, It's time to dump at least a third to half.

Any recommendations on which AZ design will hold the weight?

Keeping busy working on a project will only assist in keeping the fingers out of the snacks and my butt off the couch.

I'd prefer a recumbent design but I'm open to all.

darnthedog
05-27-2012, 11:44 AM
With the proper gauge metal any design you really like will hold you. The Lode-Runner is advertised to carry up 500lbs- But if you apply the same materials to the Timber Wolf or the Warrior they should also be able to carry you. Actually I start of at 285 lbs riding a Walmart bike. Cutting out the snacks the sodas and limiting the intake reduced me to 218 in 9 months. Also you can add gussets and cross bracing to many of these model to reinforce the strength to carry the load. So my advice is choose what you like the looks off. You can reinforce it in many different ways. You will build it to fit you and can repair and fix it as you need to. Check out the videos of each design and also look at the tutorials to get you an idea of what is involve and dig in and have fun. We love picture for your progress and if you get stuck there is always the forum to ask for help. Welcome to the fun zone.

charlie_r
05-27-2012, 12:10 PM
The delta designs would probably do the best for you.

The Delta Runner would be a good build for you, using 1.5" 14ga square tube, with the addition of a second piece welded under the main beam just ahead of the axle supports to the steering stalk giving it the profile of a 1.5 x 3 rectangle. This along with a .75" tube truss between the ends of the T and the now doubled main beam.

Another one you could look at is the Timber Wolf, with it's under seat steering. Same strengthening of the frame applies there. USS makes it a slightly more complex build, but believe me, it makes getting in and out of the pilot's seat MUCH easier.

The reason I'm suggesting either of these builds is you now have 2 wheels supporting 70% of your "gravitational influence". Yes, that means that the front wheel will be carrying only a small portion of your weight.

KoolKat
05-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Welcome to the AZ family, Aurbo. You've come to the right place for advice. :sunny:

Jsauerii
05-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I am at about 335 and built the Streetfox with 14 gauge tubing. I have tested it on a 3 mile bumpy run with a temp seat with no issues.

HPVTraveler
05-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Might I jump in here with a welcome to the crazy fun of making our selves better.

Also might I add that for me at around the 265# mark, I'm leaning in the recumbent direction. As the up-wrongs are way to tipsy for my taste. Not to mention that the weight seems to add to the feeling of being split from the neither regions to brisket.

Good luck with what ever you decide and keep us posted.

richl
05-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Welcome to the group... I am not quite in your weight range, I am only a scant 225lbs, I am building a warrior. It is a happy medium of what I want to start with, complexity, and creative outlet. I have no idea what my bike will weigh at the end now how well it will hold me. It is 1 5/8" round tubing, it mikes out around 14-15 ga. A bit heavy I know but it is what I had in the back of the shop and with some good solid welding and maybe some gussets here and there it will hold me with no problems I am sure.

About a year ago, I was over 260 lbs... basically, you have to want to get it off, than keep it off, DarntheDog is right on it... Don't let the building a bike plan be the excuse for not starting right now... change the diet to things that are better for you, fruits, vegetable, no processed foods... It was rough, but it worked for me, now I spend most of my time in the food market shopping in the vegetable and fruit section. Enough lecture, enjoy life, make some waves, stomp around a bit and have some fun!

Rich

Aurbo
05-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Thanks all for the recommendations and encouragement.

nearly 300 lbs is actually 280, but close enough.

I've narrowed my choices down to either the Warrior or the StreetFox.

I picked up those two plans along with 4 more for the 36 buck special for May.

Now to find the hubs.

redrkt
07-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the family Aurbo, I myself started at 270 just two months ago, I currently ride this bike (http://www.redrktracing.com/schwinn_chopper_2.htm) and am riding anywhere from 5 - 10 miles per day on it, I am now down to 242 and can keep up with my g/f on her Schwinn Sierra 700c and at times can outrun her on it, it is all just a mind over matter issue, I also have an agreement with her that if I can stop smoking for 30 days I get the Genesis GX7 that is now hanging in the garage on her dime. I have 24 days left before that baby is mine WOOT. This is a Craigslist link to a Genesis GX7 (http://houston.craigslist.org/bik/3067918502.html)

TheKid
07-08-2012, 01:54 PM
How nimble are you? Those low seats can be a killer. I weigh 250, and had to raise the seats on my tadploes. it's not just getting on and off, but the height of the pedals in relation to the seat that may cause problems.
I don't use my tadpole much anymore, because it's not nearly as comfy as my Delta Runner. The DR has a higher seat to begin with, and the pedals are lower than the seat making it very easy to ride. I added a trunk on the back, so it's great for shopping as well. I've even used it to pick up a 40" TV and a microwave!
I had a Meridian back in 2007 that I built with 16 ga. tubing, and soon developed a bow in the main boom at the seat. Same thing happened to my tadpole. I used 14 ga. for the DR. No problems. Rather than redo the tadpole, I straightened the boom, then tack welded a piece of 1" 16 ga. tube under the boom, from the triangle to the crossmember. No problems at all, and weighs about the same as a length of 3/16" flat steel. (Already had the 1" tube)
As for the Meridian, I had a boat seat on it, and the steering was a bit wobbly at low speeds. Had a mishap, and the seat being too wide, got in the way of getting my foot down for balance. I ended up with a broken leg. From then on, it's been nothing but trikes for me.
In retrospect, instead of using breaking down the Meridian for frame parts, I should have just made it into a delta or a tadpole. It was a great bike to ride, nice and visible in traffic, and a dream when up to speed.