PDA

View Full Version : Boat Seat on a TimberWolf?

Trike Lover
05-29-2012, 01:02 AM
I know Brad used a folding boat seat on the LodeRunner delta trike. The same seats (below) are coming up on sale - half price - at my favorite local money-pit. I'm wondering if one might work on a TimberWolf, or is it just too upright to feel right and look cool? Opinions, anyone?

The Cat
05-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Opinions, anyone?

With a folding seat might it not be possile to fudge the joint design to tilt back to desired angle? Just a thought. Surely any metal item can be Zombfied.

With Regards
The Cat

Radical Brad
05-29-2012, 10:32 AM
That seat would work - same ones I used on the Runners. The angle can be adjusted by cutting the stop tab on the hinge and reworking it. One thing though - it will need to be supported at the back as the hinge joint is not strong enough to push back against.

Brad

vmack
05-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Another way would be to eliminate the stock hinges altogether and build a seat bracket yourself like coach did on his Kyoto. It could even be made adjustable with a little ingenuity. Possibly some weldable butt hinges and an adjustable backrest support.

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1778&d=1288650544

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/4709-Pert-Near

Trike Lover
05-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Brad,
Thanks for the tip about the hinge and stop. I think I'll pick one up - I may replace it later with something more tailor-made, but one of these will at least shorten the build time until that first ride. I realized with a shock that the year is half over, and there's still lots of work to do on the TW.

My mum comes home from hospital today after a knee replacement. Post-op stuff assistance is going to take up a certain amount of time, so the time I can devote to completing the TW becomes more valuable, since we've only got about 2 months of summer.

Onward!
TL

Trike Lover
05-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Another way would be to eliminate the stock hinges altogether and build a seat bracket yourself like coach did on his Kyoto. It could even be made adjustable with a little ingenuity. Possibly some weldable butt hinges and an adjustable backrest support.

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/4709-Pert-Near

That's a neat idea - make use of the ready-made seat parts but customize the fit. As you and Brad have observed, it would require a back support, and it would make sense to make that adjustable for angle and height, at least. I can see making an angle support with one end a pivot, and the other end drilled and sitting between two plates with a series of holes that line up, side to side, and the seat tilt changes depending on where the back support arm is pinned.

I don't know if that makes sense - I know what I mean, anyhow. I'll have to get the measurements when I pick up the seat, then draw a couple of pictures.

Thanks for the good suggestion.

TL

My seat is on hold for pickup - my Mum's coming home from hospital was delayed a third time, so now it's today (I hope!).

vmack
05-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I don't know if that makes sense - I know what I mean, anyhow.

Makes sense to me! My vision is to use a donor seat tube and seat post with a quick release for the adjustable backrest support. Make a pivot to attach to the back of seat and other end to frame. May or may not work but looks good in my head.