PDA

View Full Version : Las Vegas - Lurker

Bubba
08-08-2012, 03:52 AM
Hi I have been looking at building a recumbent trike, like the tadpole, for a while. Mainly because I am cheap and don't want to fork over the 1200 bucks for a fairly good one. Got plenty of time to learn how to build em. Of course I am thinking about the tools I need to buy. Grinder, welder, saws and drills ... thinking this may be way more than the cost of a ready made bike. Also been looking for cheap bikes in fair condition and they are non existent. I haven't welded since 1973 and that was limited to welding underwater. Forgotten pretty much all I thought I knew. I am gonna order the plans and take a look at them. If anything else perhaps I can get my moneys worth of dreams.

river
08-08-2012, 08:00 AM
I think if you like building things go for it. You probably Have the skills you need and what is life with out being challenged. If you welded underwater it puts you in a higher class skill already. Sounds to me that you would do just fine

Radical Brad
08-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Greets and welcome!

Think of that welder your purchase as a fishing rod... you will be inquiring more than just a single catch with it. Building is so addictive.

Brad

worker1234
08-08-2012, 11:03 AM
If you order 6 for 36 You will get several hours worth of reading. The plans are very well written. On a scale of 1 to 10 and 10 is the best i would rate them a 15. You are encouraged to make changes to what you build. You do not need a lot of expensive tools. You can learn to weld on dry land, if not you can get an above ground swimming pool.

darnthedog
08-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Bubba welcome to the group- You don't have to buy new anything-just be sure of what you buy used. Craigslist and Google have served me well in getting bike parts, tools. Goodwill carries cheap bikes and there are always a couple garage sales to pick up bikes and tools. I have bought a few $2.00 Barbie bikes at Goodwill- they have the head sets that can be used on the trikes and easily get matching sets for like the Streetfox or the Warrior tadpoles for example. Or to be part of the Timberwolf underseat steering or steering head for the Delta wolf. The bikes don't have to look like much to be good parts. Brad has some great tutorials on bike parts to pulling an old bike apart to refurbishing them- Don't worry about the pink color- with a bit of wire wheeling and a little welding no one will ever know it was a Barbie bike. But do your research and feel comfortable in your purchases. But it will be fun for sure. And do keep us informed of your project and post pictures. We all love picture to see if there are any tips you learned that we missed.

KoolKat
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Bubba and welcome to the family. :sunny:

Bubba
08-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Yeah been looking through craigslist a bunch. Looking for welders. Perhaps I may have given the wrong impression on my welding. Welding was just another part of my commercial diving course I took. About 20 hours of instruction. My welds looked really bad. But perhaps I can get a welder and they can become mediocre. As far as bikes, I moved from Texas to Vegas and in Texas I could find lots of cheap bikes, but here not so much. But, no problems I will b on the lookout. I have to set up my shop and get some of the honey do's out of the way. On further looking I might start with a simper project with less fabrication.

charlie_r
08-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Check out the Northern Tool (http://www.northerntool.com/) and Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/) offerings for cheap welders. Personally, I like the wire feed welders they offer, but their cheap stick welders are usable for this as well. As your experience with them grows, you can either upgrade to better welders or modify the cheap units to add functionality. Good way to get started, anyway.

Did a quick search, you have 3 HF in your area, but no NT. Northern doesn't look like they have expanded that far west yet.