PDA

View Full Version : Hello this is the North East calling....

ics.com
08-11-2012, 05:42 PM
First timer wanting to talk with like minded folk....I think I'm the only one in Cleveland riding a "bent". Lot's of people starring today. I ride a "heavy" Swb Bent with Full-suspension. Will put pic's on when I find out how to. Have loads on my "flickr " account under username: ics.com.

It's always about the journey never the destination.

river
08-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Great to have you on the forum. When you post use the go advanced tab on bottom and load your photo's there We love to see photo's

KoolKat
08-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Hello and welcome to the AZ family. Glad you found us. :sunny:

ics.com
08-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Cheers river

Here go's......

ics.com
08-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks Koolkat.

darnthedog
08-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Another great looking bike. This forum is just bursting with great talent. Love the look of the under seat modification and the Rear suspension. WElcome to the group. We have a lot of folks here on the forum. And while I cannot swear to it I am sure there is at least one or two here in the UK with you. Thanks for sharing.

FrankCrank
08-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi Ics.com
My home town back there is Reading, but I live in Thailand now.
Must admit when I saw the pics I did a double take - looks like the sort of build I did for my trike. Has the same 1"x2" box section, and the same plastic tube for the chain ....... spooky. You describe it as being 'heavy' - doesn't look heavy - what guage steel did you use? Also, how does it handle, and what terrain have you ridden on - might do something similar if I get a suitable donor. Cheers - Frank.

river
08-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Very cool bike, Enjoyed your photo's

KoolKat
08-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Great stuff! If you haven't already done so, please upload these to the Builders Gallery. Thanks.

Ticktock
08-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi,
Welcome to the group.
Good looking bike!
As probally the only bent rider in Beijing, I know what you mean by stares and gasps!
Like you, mine is also a bit on the heavy side, but it does not seem to slow me down mush--still out run most of the boy racers here.
Question, if I may? Does the top chain run have an idler pulley, or is simply running in the guide tube?
If there's no pulley, how well does the tube wear, and is there any drag on the chain?
I know thats really three questions, but I got carried away with couriousity?
Thanks for sharing,
Steve G,
Beijing

Intrepid
08-11-2012, 11:00 PM
That's really nicely built bike. I don't think I could manage to ride one myself, but I can certainly appreciate a good looking ride.

Ticktock
08-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Hi Annie,
It is only a mater of quiiet practice , some determination, and having enough space not to hit anything.
If you can ride an upwrong bike you ride a bent one with a bit of time1
We all wobbled (badly) at first.
Steve G!

ics.com
08-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Hi Ics.com
My home town back there is Reading, but I live in Thailand now.
Must admit when I saw the pics I did a double take - looks like the sort of build I did for my trike. Has the same 1"x2" box section, and the same plastic tube for the chain ....... spooky. You describe it as being 'heavy' - doesn't look heavy - what guage steel did you use? Also, how does it handle, and what terrain have you ridden on - might do something similar if I get a suitable donor. Cheers - Frank.

Hi Frank

The frame is made from 1 1/4x 2 1/4 mild steel that is 3mm thick. It does ride really smoothly due to the Full-suspension set-up, but like most first time builds I can be improved. Thinking Aluminium rigid next time for distance travel. It copes well with dirt tracks but any amount of hills, you start to struggle due to weight. I tend to use it more for short trips into town etc. At the moment I'm enjoying riding about on it. :batman:

ics.com
08-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Hi Steve

It used to have a pully on but the chain kept jumping off whenever I took big hits on the suspension. I tried allsorts of different chain guides and found the stiffer kind the best. I'm sure the guide does cause some drag on the chain but when I'm off-road it helps control the chain from slapping about. It actually "purrs " which is not a bad sound to ride with. I wd40 the inside every ride to see if this helps slightly. I haven't experienced any chain sag yet while back pedalling the chain smoothly.

ics.com
08-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Hi Intrepid

Thanks for the welcome....

I remember the first "test ride". I did exactly what Ticktock suggested. It was 8am in a 150m x 50m car park that was closed for the weekend. No one around to see me fall off. I sat on the thing and thought " this is so wrong how am I going to stay upright" You then take a deep breath push the pedal forward and let physics take over. Only fell off once doing a slow turn ( trying to run before I could walk). Riding a " bent" is so relaxing, especially after riding a " conventional" for 35 years.

FrankCrank
08-12-2012, 05:44 AM
.....3mm wall thickness - wow, that's fairly hefty. On my trike it's not much more than 1mm, and no sign of any cracks or bending. Guess it comes down to what is available to you, and how you intend to weld it. I'm running as a single speed - just the idea of idlers and derailleurs fills me with horror - would like to try a 3-speed hub if I can get hold of one.........

ics.com
08-12-2012, 06:52 AM
On hindsight 3mm is way to thick. I've never worked with metal before and being 17 stone thought I would need something substantial. But in reality like you said 1mm would have been better. Think Aluminium for the next one. Just enjoying this one first before the next.

Intrepid
08-12-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi Annie,
It is only a mater of quiiet practice , some determination, and having enough space not to hit anything.
If you can ride an upwrong bike you ride a bent one with a bit of time1
We all wobbled (badly) at first.
Steve G!

I don't know Steve because at the moment I'm finding riding my lovely old English bicycles enough of a challenge in the aftermath of having being ill.
I guess I could knock up a quicky recumbent conversion on one of the scrap bikes I've got lying around and give it a go. If I fall off and my doctor asks me what I thought I was doing I'll say it was all your idea.:D

darnthedog
08-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Annie
We of the Atomic Zombie forum would hate to hear of you hurting yourself attempting to ride one of your home made recumbent's. Please consider a 3 wheeler such as the Tricruiser or the Timberwolf or Delta-runner for a first time build of a recumbent. Or if you insist on a 2 wheeler maybe a Marauder which is very low to the ground instead of the spirit style which sits up much higher. Just a suggestion as encouragement not to get hurt.

Intrepid
08-12-2012, 09:52 AM
Annie
We of the Atomic Zombie forum would hate to hear of you hurting yourself attempting to ride one of your home made recumbent's. Please consider a 3 wheeler such as the Tricruiser or the Timberwolf or Delta-runner for a first time build of a recumbent. Or if you insist on a 2 wheeler maybe a Marauder which is very low to the ground instead of the spirit style which sits up much higher. Just a suggestion as encouragement not to get hurt.

Don't worry I will be sticking to three wheels for my first build :)
I might be intrepid, but I'm not daft.

Should I have a go at building a two wheeler at some future time it will be low to the ground you can count on that.:cheesy:

Ticktock
08-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I get the blame for everything else that happens, so I would probably not notice the extra load!
My advice would be to kick off as Brad shows in one of the plans, with the intial goal of justgetting it moving, and start bto get the feelm of a strange machine..
The next goal is to get the other foot up on the peddle while you are still pushing the first. Takes a bit of practice.
if at any time this feels wrong, hit the brakes before you fall off!
keep doing this until you can get both feet up and working--it is much easier to ride when peddling . You will notice this later when you freewheel. Then its a case of practice, then start wide turns, and make smaller turns as you get more confident.
You will oversteer and wobble at first--just laugh at yourself and keep trying --its worth it in the end.
Remember , you had to learn to ride an upwrong once!
Another thing I have found useful--in a U turn, instaed of trying to peddle full circle on the cranks, put the outside crank at the top, and give short pushes to control speed, and back peddle to kep the crank at the top.
Hope that makes sense--it works for me.
All the best,
Steve G

Intrepid
08-13-2012, 12:27 AM
No it all sounds too difficult Steve I think I'll build a helicopter instead.....:jester:

Seriously though thanks for the riding tips, that one about performing a U turn sounds to be a particularly good one. I have several frames for Raleigh 20s and Raleigh 20 clones as well as quite a few 20 inch wheels including some brand new wheels I purchased at a bike shop clearance sale, so I was thinking of doing something recumbent-like with them. If it doesn't work out I can always put a trike axle on it and make a three wheeler out of it.

Nitty
10-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Hi ics.com,

Do you find any problems regarding the law riding homebuilts here in the UK?

Nitty

ics.com
10-09-2012, 05:32 AM
Hi Nitty
I've never had any issues with the law. Although one day I'm going to cause an accident due to the amount of people staring at me instead of eyes forward on the road. And that includes the law. Have you had any issues.

Nitty
10-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Hi Nitty
I've never had any issues with the law. Although one day I'm going to cause an accident due to the amount of people staring at me instead of eyes forward on the road. And that includes the law. Have you had any issues.

I haven't begun my first build yet, still hunting for parts at the right price. My first will be a camel bike affair, FWD, FW steer. After completion I intend to build a side-car for it able to carry up to 3 kids & camping gear. (Getting a lot of stick on here for that lol).

I already assume the bike alone will draw attention but the whole kit & kaboodle might draw too much.

I have been researching the law on cycles via the tinterweb but the best I can get from it is "A cycle cannot carry more than 1 person unless it was spcifically built or adapted to do so". But no mention of what adaptationn are legal & what aren't.

Nitty

Brandon
10-10-2012, 05:10 PM
Hi there ics and nitty,

I too am in the UK, and as far as I am aware, there is no issue with home builds. I would also hold off from asking, as they are very likely to impose an awful miss understanding in the place of logical thought...

Nice bike ics, I am hoping to get the time shortly to do something similar, basically a soft tail version of the Spirit (http://www.atomiczombie.com/Spirit%20Short%20Wheelbase%20Racing%20Bike.aspx) I like your USS too, I always feel that my sternum is rather vulnerable with OSS.

ics.com
10-12-2012, 11:31 AM
I agree Brandon. The law has more important things to worry about than if a bike is legal......however they are some who strive to be ultra cop and Will pull you up. Most I've spoken to are more interested in " having a go " than taking you off the road. As long as it is road worthy which it Will be I wouldn't worry.