PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Birmingham

Tech2063
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Hi folks my name is Ian and I currently live in Birmingham ,West Midlands. I'm looking at building a tadpole style ride for commuting and a bit of touring with panniers fitted etc. I have never done anything like this before but do come from a metal industry background and am a qualified cycle mechanic so fingers crossed I won't make too much of a hash of things!!!! Hopefully I will be able to find the answers to all of the questions I am sure to be asking myself over the days/months/years!!!!

Cheers all

Intrepid
08-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the forum Ian. There are some very talented builders here and everybody is very helpful when it comes to answering questions; - though I imagine with your background you're going to do just fine.

Ticktock
08-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi Ian,
Welcome from an English Australian in China!
You should be able to get all the answers you need from this group.
Happy hacking and peddling,
Steve G,
Beijing,
China

markmach22
08-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Hi Ian how are you doing? I'm Mark originally from Birmingham now living in Evesham, joined the zombie blog yesterday, bought the plans for the Overkill chopper thought it would be a really cool first project but just might get another bike going at the same time this one would be a tadpole tandem. Which part of brum are you from? Have you started your trike yet? Hopefully we could bounce a few ideas off of each other. Have a good one Mark

Tech2063
08-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Hi Mark,I liked the look of the Overkill chopper as well!! I'm in the Great Barr area of Brum, I'm just getting all my bits together at the moment (its amazing what you can find in the spares box!) Luckily I have found quite a few steel merchants in and around Brum so hopefully wont be too much of a problem getting hold of the raw materials. Will look forward to seeing the Overkilll when its all done.

markmach22
09-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Ian what do you think about using a coaster brake on the overkill chopper bearing in mind the axle would need extending to about 14 inches long. How's your project going? Mark

Tech2063
09-04-2012, 04:38 AM
Hi Mark, I've not had much experience with coaster brakes but if you have got to extend the axle why not get a disc rotor adapter welded on as it would fit with the chopper style of disc brake at the rear?!! You can get very long hydraulic hose and other bike components from www.superstarcomponents.com they are UK based and reasonably priced and everything is free delivery! My project is waiting for the kids to go back to school then I can crack on properly! Hope this is of some help Ian

Ticktock
09-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Hi,
Can I suggest that you stick with a cable disc for your first build? It will be easier, and you can install and remove many times during the build without getting messy brake fluid on the new paint!
Definitly go for a disc--far better stopping when you need it, and it will fit in to the overall design appeal (in my view anyway--as trike rider!)
Probably easier to install on the axle as well although I have never installed a coaster brake- I have used them, and hate them!!
Have fun,
Steve G,
Beijing,
Ex UK, ex Australia

stormbird
09-05-2012, 02:04 AM
Hi there

Don't let me stop you building your Overkill , however if you have little experience of cutting steel and welding [ as I had ] it would be easier to cut your teeth on a shorter project and one that requires less custom parts ?

So what I did was look here http://www.chopzone.com/ there are lots of chopper ideas just hacking ordinary frames , I also have both of Brads books which are helpful.

I took the fork idea from one project and the frame ideas from another and added a few of my own , in a couple of months I had this http://forum.atomiczombie.com/showthread.php/5164-Grannys-Nightmare-variant-sort-of-damm-started-another-bike?highlight= been riding if for over a year and love it to bit's.

I am working up to a Overkill but my next one will probably be the Highlander [ from the first book ] but with a 175mm x 15" car wheel in the rear , using parts from a tubular chair for the rear end.

have fun Paul

Penola
09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Sure Ian, you can find all info here.
If it isn't readily available, put out a question.
I have build a Warrior, and found loads of inspiration here :-)

markmach22
09-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Hi guys thanks for the good advice on the coaster brake verses the disc, im thinking the disc setup is the way to go. Mark