PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy this part somewhere?

Dennis14
08-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I have a performer family tandem. The front part is a recumbent and the rear does the steering via a remote steering set up. The current fork is an unsuspended 20" fork and it has a tab welded in it to mount a bolt for the steering shaft.

I want to replace the fork with a suspended fork and I found one on eBay but it doesn't have the tab for the steering shaft. It is a 1-1/8 threadless fork and I am wondering if there is something I can buy that clamps on the shaft that gives me a place to attach to the steering shaft. I have googled a lot but not sure of what terms to use.

Thanks for any help you can supply.

river
08-26-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure what it looks like , can't you just make it and tack weld it on.
Is it steel.

Dennis14
08-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I have never done any welding. No tools for that.

river
08-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Make the part and bring it to a welding shop or just find a friend that welds, shouldn't cost that much it you get it all set up and cleaned ready to weld. any local; schools they might do it for you if they have a machine shop or automotive shop

Intrepid
08-27-2012, 12:32 AM
If you poke about in scrapyards a lot sometimes it's possible to find something from a car or truck or some odd piece of machinery that can be adapted, but it''s usually down to pure luck and having an eye for seeing potential in a part intended for another purpose.

David_s
08-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Also have you tested to make sure that the new fork will be able to handle the weight of a tandem?
Put a magnet up to as well and make sure that it is not aluminium.
Any muffler shop should be able to weld it on for you, just get a piece of 1/4" steel anywhere and cut and drill it to where it matches up then take the bike and the new fork to them.

TexasTuff
08-27-2012, 10:53 AM
Dennis, I just did a Google and saw that FlyingFurniture Cycles list a suspended fork as an option for the Performer Tandem. You may be able to get a suspended fork from the manufacturer already set up. That way you would know that the fork would be strong enough to hold the weight of the strocker. The original fork was Chrome Molly steel.
I always though that was an interesting bike configuration to keep the wheelbase short.
Good Luck
George

Dennis14
08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
The fork I got is the same one the Hase Pino uses so I'm sure it will work.
I found the flying furniture site as well but they haven't helped me much. They say they are really busy.

Thanks for the ideas on finding welding help. I guess that's the best option. The fork is red and the bike is blue so I guess doing this will give me the chance to do a better color match.

im guessing I will need to remove the finish where the welding will take place.