PDA

View Full Version : Hi from 1oledog hunt'n new tricks in Escondido, CA

1oledog2
08-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Since retiring in 1992 and at age80 in 2006 the wife and I spent 5 years full time motor homing 3 times across the southern USofA. Before that did quite a bit of bicycling in Northern New Mexico. Long story short at 86 sold Motor home and settled into a Senior Retirement complex in Escondido. Due to an inter-ear problem cannot maintain my balance on a 2 wheeler. Then discovered recumbent trikes. Unfortunately also discovered their price tag :mad: and fixed incomes havenít keep up with inflation.

Just discovered Atomic Zombie :scooter: and am ordering 6 plans as soon as can narrow it down. Really like The LodeRunner Single Rider Cargo Trike. Will start my scavenger hunt tomorrow for old bikes and checking CL and other sources. Have most of the hand and power tools except welder but with the economy being what it is I bet I can find an independent welder willing to preform the necessary magic for the frame, etc. at a reasonable fee.

Have been reading the forum and will continue that course as put ideas together as to what to do as first project. Thanks for a great website and forum as look forward to many hours of pleasure in reading, building and before too long riding.

BillHancock (ole dog hunt'n new tricks :-})

KoolKat
08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the AZ family. Glad you joined us. :sunny:

TexasTuff
08-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the group Bill. I've enjoyed the many miles I've put in on my DeltaWolf Trike. I'm not quite your age but find I have been better suited to a trike than two wheels although I going to try 2 wheels again later this week. The trike also allowed me to build up leg strength and endurance that I may not have been able to do on a 2 wheel recumbent.
George

1oledog2
08-29-2012, 04:28 PM
KoolKat

Thanks for the welcome.:) Oh my, so much to learn, so much eye candy, where to start:confused:. Well I guess at the beginning. After much pursuing I decided since I am partial aesthetically to tadpole trikes and since the trike will by my primary transportation vehicle after public transportation (which is fantastic here) I need a cargo carrier.:rolleyes4: I ordered and downloaded 6 of your plans (thanks for the 6 for $36 deal):punk: that more or less meet my desires.

Now for the hard part. Study, study, study. 6 plans = almost 1000 pages of reading. I plan to start a Blog of my progress and problems as I make my decisions. Would also like to know how to add an avatar to my profile.:confused: Enough for now and thanks for this wonderful resource.

TexasTuff
Being a native born Texan:party:, George, I thank you for your welcome. Keep pedaling and you can still be going when you reach my age and beyond:xmas:. I am engrossed in planning where I want to go with the home building process as have many hurdles to overcome but have always believed one can be what you want to be and have what you want to have if one just follows the rules of deciding what you want then imagining you already have it, then telling everyone about it and the how will happen:rolleyes4:. Over simplification but thanks again for your welcome.

Bill Hancock (Ole Dog hunt'n new tricks:cheesy:)

darnthedog
08-30-2012, 12:02 AM
1oledog2
To add or change Avatar go to top right corner- click on settings. From there on left profile bar you see edit avatar-edit picture- That is where to add your avatar. Welcome to the group and hope you have fun in learning and building.

1oledog2
09-09-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks darnthedog. As you can see your instruction were perfect as avatar is up and running. I'm still in the learning stage so in total contradiction to my normal nature I will keep my mouth shut til more concrete ideas come forth.

darnthedog
09-09-2012, 07:12 AM
You can always enjoy in silence or you can compliment or you can ask questions your choice. The more your read the more confident your going to feel to take on a build. So you bought 6 plans. Have you made a choice as to what your heart desires for a recumbent? Do you know how to send and receive private messages? If not email me via darnthedog@yahoo.com. I have a proposal.

river
09-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Were all just like family here, don;'t wait to ask questions, We all learn in the process.

Ticktock
09-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Good to have some one with a sense of humour!!
We all start somewhere, and at that point think we know nothing.
Everyone knows something that someone else can benifit from.
Sometimes it is a problem getting these two people in the same place at the same time.
This site just makes it easy.
If you have a problem --you ask.
If you can help--you reply.
If you just want to add a comment---add it.
We all learn from each other.
And it does not matter what the question is.
I was once told that I was smarter than I sounded!
Why I asked---because you are smart enough to ask a dumb question.
Not sure if it was a compliment, but it has kept me out of trouble.
I find too many people don't ask questions at the right time, and then make mistakes!
Steve G,
Beijing

darnthedog
09-09-2012, 03:40 PM
The only dumb question in the whole wide universe is the one you didn't ask a college professor of mine once told me. I have live with that principle ever since.

1oledog2
09-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Thanks all for your replies. So I made a post to the General Post thread "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly. I managed to post it twice, haven't figured out how yet. I was trying to ask if any one knew good or bad about the TT Rover 8, or has a warrior they might part with since I haven't found a place to build at this time and would really like to get riding again. I got a little wordy in that post. Thanks again. I really enjoy this forum.

Tradetek
09-10-2012, 01:09 AM
I teat rode a TT Rover 8 back in May and it was fun to ride, but I found the front end a bit cramped for me at 6'1" with a size 11 shoe.

Also, the stock components are not really all that good and I had to fix the brake levers and rear shifter during my test ride... fortunately with my biking experience it didn't take me long to figure out what was wrong, but it also told me that I wouldn't buy one with the stock shifters and brake levers because they just are not durable enough for the excess abuse put on them by a trike.

Bill

1oledog2
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi Bill, thanks for the reply but first congratulations to Ethan for his Olympic medals. Great achievement.
Having no experience with a trike your info is a real help to me. My main interest in the Rover 8 is the lack of a place to build plus the higher seat makes is easier for me to get on and off. Down side of course is cost. My current thinking is get it so I can start riding as opposed to walking and bus, then using the Atomic Zombie posted info (lots of great stuff) to modify it as I go. As to the cramped front end, I am also 6'1" with and 11 shoe, however the local dealer tells me it can be setup to avoid that problem. I felt the stock foot pedals were also a bit flimsy.

darnthedog
09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
1oledog2-
Are you sure you would mind a Loderunner or Deltarunner instead of a Warrior type trike? They sit a bit higher and would be easier to get in and out of. There is the Timberwolf with the under-seat steering and storage for a few things as well that sits higher as well. For Commercial taller trikes I liked the SunX trike over the Terra. And the only reasons for not going that route was I am in desire of Speed and the 20 inch tire would not allow it. But it is totally up to your desires. Please make sure to check you email.

Tradetek
09-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Hi Bill, thanks for the reply but first congratulations to Ethan for his Olympic medals. Great achievement.
Having no experience with a trike your info is a real help to me. My main interest in the Rover 8 is the lack of a place to build plus the higher seat makes is easier for me to get on and off. Down side of course is cost. My current thinking is get it so I can start riding as opposed to walking and bus, then using the Atomic Zombie posted info (lots of great stuff) to modify it as I go. As to the cramped front end, I am also 6'1" with and 11 shoe, however the local dealer tells me it can be setup to avoid that problem. I felt the stock foot pedals were also a bit flimsy.

Thanks from Ethan, he did a great job and had a great time!

As for the TerraTrike, a bike shop can strip it down to the frame and modify it any way you want, just check out utahtrikes.com for their custom builds for a ton of great examples! My biggest problems from a size standpoint was actually the width of the front wheel base. I'd definitely recommend a test ride and all TerraTrike dealers are required to have a Rover in stock at all times for test rides.

Also, if you need to string out some payments... keep your eye out for a card that you have like Lowes or Home Depot to run an interest free deal and then buy a bunch of Amazon gift cards. TT sells the Rover through Amazon! It's one trick I'm using to finance some of my tools and parts :)

1oledog2
09-11-2012, 12:20 AM
1oledog2-
Are you sure you would mind a Loderunner or Deltarunner instead of a Warrior type trike? They sit a bit higher and would be easier to get in and out of. There is the Timberwolf with the under-seat steering and storage for a few things as well that sits higher as well. For Commercial taller trikes I liked the SunX trike over the Terra. And the only reasons for not going that route was I am in desire of Speed and the 20 inch tire would not allow it. But it is totally up to your desires. Please make sure to check you email.

Hi Bruce, since I no longer have a car the bent will be my sole transportation hence I like the idea or a tadpole type that I can use for fast trips to store and for pleasure riding and building a trailer for heaver hauling in lieu of Lodestar or Timberwolf layout. Also I am told San Diego area has the highest bike theft rate in the US so really should keep on balcony of our Apt. This would be a real problem with the larger load haulers. I have tried to find the Sun X you mention but google hasn't turned up anything. Do you have a URL for them.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.

darnthedog
09-11-2012, 02:38 AM
Here is an ad on Craigslist for a used one:
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/bik/3245896343.html
Here one in San Diego pretty cheap:
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3252316192.html
One in Hunting Beach:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/3257182073.html

Sorry I misnamed it it is called the Sun EZ-3
And here is the Website with all the sun models: http://sunbicycles.com/products.php

I know it is a delta rather than a Tadpole but it is very easy on the knees to get in and out of. I have tried it for myself. And it is very easy to add a cart to add load capacity.

Hope that helps

TexasTuff
09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi Bill
darnthedog has pointed out some good entry level trikes. They all have some plus and negative design features.
The first one has suspension but I think it is only effective on the front wheel but that is a plus.
Of the other two, the one in Huntington Beach has the rear wheels tilted in adding more stability to the trike. The first recumbent I had was an EZ-3 SX of the older design and built very strong. The SX stands for steel and weighs in at about 60+ lbs. EZ-3 AX is aluminum and about 8 or 10 lbs lighter.
Plus side, used they are inexpensive. They are designed to carry 300+ pounds. They have a high seat making them easy to get on and off. They have a sprocket on the rear axle that can be changed out to move the entire gear range up or down.
Negative, they just don't look cool like a tadpole.
I think there are still some articles for the EZ-3 older design on the bicycleman.com site.

Tradetek
09-11-2012, 10:00 AM
Note that you generally should not plan to carry much of a load on a tadpole because of the weight distribution. For shopping runs you really want a delta design where your load is distributed over 2 wheels.

You can still carry a small load with a delta using rear panniers just like you can with a bike, but you will have less cargo capacity.

The other factor with the ride, sit and entry/exit issues are significant and if you have any low back problems or quad strength issues you will want to find a local shop that has some that you can test ride before committing to one style and then decide how to approach the cargo issue.

I personally know that you can use a bike with pannier racks as a daily commuter and shopping vehicle because I've done it (people with epilepsy aren't allowed to drive in Florida which is where I went to college and was initially diagnosed with a "Generalized Seizure Disorder" which is in the same category).

A rack like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-63107030-Explorer-Bike-Rack/dp/B000FIE3WI/ref=sr_1_9?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347371781&sr=1-9&keywords=panniers

Plus 2 of these shopping bag panniers:

http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Metro-2-0-Shopping-Pannier/dp/B00165Q8ZO/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347371781&sr=1-10&keywords=panniers

Plus a small cooler strapped to the top of your rack for anything you need to keep cold, and you are good for at least 2 to 3 days worth of food.

1oledog2
09-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Hi Bill
darnthedog has pointed out some good entry level trikes. They all have some plus and negative design features.
The first one has suspension but I think it is only effective on the front wheel but that is a plus.
Of the other two, the one in Huntington Beach has the rear wheels tilted in adding more stability to the trike. The first recumbent I had was an EZ-3 SX of the older design and built very strong. The SX stands for steel and weighs in at about 60+ lbs. EZ-3 AX is aluminum and about 8 or 10 lbs lighter.
Plus side, used they are inexpensive. They are designed to carry 300+ pounds. They have a high seat making them easy to get on and off. They have a sprocket on the rear axle that can be changed out to move the entire gear range up or down.
Negative, they just don't look cool like a tadpole.
I think there are still some articles for the EZ-3 older design on the bicycleman.com site.

I think I can buy an older EZ-3 SX 21 speed for about $350. Since this will also be my first bent do you feel this would be a reasonable price and did yours work ok for your first one.
By the way have you built a trailer for Miss Molly yet?

Tradetek
09-13-2012, 01:20 AM
2 notes, my comments about using panniers applied to tadpoles not deltas, most deltals easily use a rear basket... I had a mis-reference. Sorry for any confusion.

As to 350 being a good price for a used ez3-sx, nobody can tell you if a price on any bike is good or not without seeing the bike or some close up pictures of its components. Most of the value is in wheels and transmission, so if you spend 350 for what looks like a bargain and then have to sink 200 into new wheels and another 200-300 into drivetrain components its a complete waste of money.

The real danger in your area is that a lot of those deltas are popular beach bikes where they are exposed to sand and salt which is really hard on all of the drive train components, including the cables and cable housings.

I lived most of my life in the 909 and Temecula... and I personally wouldn't by a used bike from a beach area without personally inspecting it, and I have personal experience tuning bikes and truing wheels so I know what to look for. If you don't have that, I'd tell the seller that you want a bike shop of your choice to inspect it first.

Bill

1oledog2
09-13-2012, 12:40 PM
2 notes, my comments about using panniers applied to tadpoles not deltas, most deltals easily use a rear basket... I had a mis-reference. Sorry for any confusion.

As to 350 being a good price for a used ez3-sx, nobody can tell you if a price on any bike is good or not without seeing the bike or some close up pictures of its components. Most of the value is in wheels and transmission, so if you spend 350 for what looks like a bargain and then have to sink 200 into new wheels and another 200-300 into drivetrain components its a complete waste of money.

The real danger in your area is that a lot of those deltas are popular beach bikes where they are exposed to sand and salt which is really hard on all of the drive train components, including the cables and cable housings.

I lived most of my life in the 909 and Temecula... and I personally wouldn't by a used bike from a beach area without personally inspecting it, and I have personal experience tuning bikes and truing wheels so I know what to look for. If you don't have that, I'd tell the seller that you want a bike shop of your choice to inspect it first.

Bill
Thanks for the information. The trike is located 60 miles inland and don't believe its ever been to the beach area. You can see some pictures here.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/3252316192.html
My problem is no car (or truck) so have no way to get the trike to a the Sun bike shop. I understand the gamble of buying any used item but the least expensive new (TerraTrike Rover8 tadpole) is with tax about $1100. That gives me a margin of $750. to bring it back to "like new". My main worry is how the Sun EZ-3 SX 21 speed delta trike would compare to say a Rover8 tadpole as a first bent for me at 86 and as my primary mode of transport in the local area. I realize this is subjective and will only know if I could try both which of course is not practicable hence my query to all the knowledgeable and experienced folks here at the AZ forum, for which I thank you each and everyone for all I have learned so far.

TexasTuff
09-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I think I can buy an older EZ-3 SX 21 speed for about $350. Since this will also be my first bent do you feel this would be a reasonable price and did yours work ok for your first one.
By the way have you built a trailer for Miss Molly yet?

Hi Bill
I see the EZ-3 SX in the Dallas Craigslist from time to time in the range of the two that darnthedog pointed out to you. The EZ-3 is a very strong ride. I think they are very good neighborhood commuter trikes. They are not designed for high speed, thus not stable at high speed. Neither is the Rover. Having our cake and eat it too is sometimes hard to come by. The high seat position is a plus, but also makes the center of gravity high leading to it being unstable in higher speed turns. At times I felt uncomfortable on high crowned roads.
I guess I'll tell it like I see it. It was a good deal for me to get started. I would not want another one.
I'll give you a couple of url's to reviews on both trikes.
http://bicycleman.com/recumbents/trikes/sun/sun-ez3-ez3ltd-recumbent-trikes.htm
http://bicycleman.com/recumbents/trikes/wizwheelz/wizwheels-terratrike-rover.htm
I've not built a trailer for Miss Molly. She told me to forget it, I go to slow for her. She runs ahead then stops and waits for me to catch up.

Tradetek
09-13-2012, 09:45 PM
No worries. Did you get the Sun? I see that the ad link you posted is no longer available.

1oledog2
09-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Good morning Tradetek (hello to Ethan) & TexasTuff (A hug for Miss Molly). Thank you both (as well as all the others who have helped me decide where to start). I did buy the Sun EZ-3 SX 21 speed for $275 and it will be delivered Sunday. Its in good shape and hasn't had much use. Mostly stored indoors.

As I do not currently have a place to build and am tired of walking and waiting on buses I feel this is a good starting point in recumbentcy. If it should not work out or I wish to move up (most likely) I feel I could get most of my money back or have a real bunch of parts to start a build. Will keep you posted. May start a Blog on the learning experience of an Ole Dog hunt'n new tricks.

Again thanks to a great Forum, Website (Atomic Zombies), and a great bunch of really helpful respondents.

Tradetek
09-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Glad to hear that you were able to get an even better price with delivery!

Honestly, you have probably learned that there are enough people here that if it has issues and needs to be, or you just decide that you want it to be... Zombiefied you will be able to get support in making that happen.

Good luck and happy riding.

Bill

TexasTuff
09-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Good for you Bill, I hope you get many happy, carefree miles and just a ton of fun.
George