PDA

View Full Version : What if I want a higher seat height?

bns1969
08-27-2012, 11:13 PM
This is my first bike build and although I'm having a blast and its not been real hard so far I now have a small dilema someone might be able to help me with. I started with the idea of making this Street Fox a little taller in the seat area so I don't have to crawl out of it and simply sit down like I would on a short stool. Since the rear suspension I have is from a department store MTB as a donor me main frame rail from pivot forward (when parallel to the rear bottom swing arm) ends up being 13" of the ground and comfortable to sit on and not to high after a 2" padded seat is added. But this is where the problem no is? If I use the Warrior method of attaching the steering booms they would never touch the frame at all since the center of the 20" rim is just over 11" to begin with! So, in an attempt to do something a little different and to compansate I was thinking that the booms will have to be notched so they point upward to the frame but that will present a newer issue when finding the correct angles in that I think my steering will interfere with them (but not sure till its built that way).

So here is my questions...
1. Has anyone made a taller Fox with simular frame height? How did it turn out? Got any pics?
2. Is there a way or an idea anyone has to correct these issues or should I just build the Warrior/Fox frame from seat forward and just jam the rear swing arm on it when I'm done (my current thought)?
3. With the way the rear swing arm having its pivot actually above the centerline of the bottom bracket (like the one in the plans) should I just drop (or raise) the pivot on the frame to above the square tube? Basicly think of the pivot attached to about 3"-4" of tube then that tube attatched to the frame/seat section lowing that 1 1/2" to get it closer to whats in the plans? or just drop the bracket to the "dropped down" height of the frame in the Fox plans and skip the whole idea of a taller seat height all together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Radical Brad
08-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Grab a chair or some bucket and a board so you can sit at the height you like. Place a 2x2 in front to simulate the boom and see how things line up. Your wheelbase will probably shorten by a few inches. If you can take some basic measurements and post a drawing here, that will help with getting some advice.

Brad

Ticktock
08-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi,
My first thoughts on a simple answer.
Why not build the front end as per the plans, then add the seat frame at the height you want, then graft on the rear end you have..
Provided you think ahead to what you will do next, you should get what you want. The rear swing arm does not really need to be exactly horizontal to work . Two or three inches lower at the pivot sounds practical to me. Just watch out for chain clearances
Make sure that you fit at each stage, and that you can still turn them cranks!
Steve G

bns1969
08-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Ok, I think I have figured out a solution. If I build a 90 degree "V" and place it under the front frame section it ends up at the right hieght to meet the wheel pivots. So... Now all I need is a good wheelbase to shoot for!

shaggy
10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
sorry for the old tread revival.

so how did your trike ride height end up?

Jerry