PDA

View Full Version : disc brakes for Streetfox?

chainmaker
09-11-2012, 08:40 AM
I posted a question about drum brakes, but what about disc brakes on a street fox ...has anyone upgraded the streetfoxs' brakes to disc?

darnthedog
09-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Chainmaker
There is no reason you cannot make Disc brakes work for a Streetfox. There have been folks who have combined the Warrior and Streetfox plan to have a suspended Warrior. It would also allow you to go to a slightly bigger 20mm axle. The plans call for a BMX 14mm 20 inch wheel with 48 spokes. Where as the Warrior uses Disc brake hubs with 20 mm axles.

river
09-11-2012, 11:06 AM
That would be very easy to do. i think the reasoning behind the street fox was to make it a easy affordable build with just inexpensive bike parts.

Ticktock
09-11-2012, 11:51 AM
The only thing to watch out for is that the wheel hub is as wide as you can get--width at the spokes is what counts.
Avoid any wheel that is dished on one side to allow for a disc brake (typical front BMX)
All AZ plans are wide open to changes and combining ideas from several bikes into one different design.
Thats the clever part of Brads designs.
I bought six plans, built three bikes, and none of them match any of the plans (my LWB is very close to a Voyager after alterations)
Just remember that a normal bike wheel is not meant to take side loads--Rear wheels with discs and multispeed hubs are the the exreme in this, but some disc brake front wheels are dished enough so as to be a worry on a trike--I have one on my LWB that will never go on my trike--it would not get round the first fast bend with me.
I just looked, and its the same on my Tandem, the disc brake side is nearly flat.
Guess I can't change wheels between bikes.
Steve G

chainmaker
09-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Chainmaker
. There have been folks who have combined the Warrior and Streetfox plan to have a suspended Warrior.

Thats what I was thinking, been trying to find an example somwhere. I bought plans a couple years ago and got sidelined by some other projects.