PDA

View Full Version : How to run front derailleur cable

Mark
09-21-2012, 02:31 PM
I've looked through the forum and gallery and just can't find a good pic of how to run the front derailleur cable. If someone has a couple of pics of how to run it I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks Y'all,
Mark

arms10
09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
I've looked through the forum and gallery and just can't find a good pic of how to run the front derailleur cable. If someone has a couple of pics of how to run it I would appreciate it very much.
Thanks Y'all,
Mark

I ran a cable down the length of the handlebar extension (on my Spirit SWB build) and curved it back up the inside of the bottom bracket lug. A cable stop was welded about 1.5" below the derailleur anchor bolt. A friend of mine also employed the same idea on his tadpole build. Make sure you weld the cable stop in line with the cable so it's as straight as reasonably possible. Of course, you will need a front derailleur with 'bottom pull' in order to achieve this; if you have a top pull, you'll have to run the cable and cable stop over the top.

Mark
09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
So put the hold below the dr and let the cable run over the spring on the dr?

Radical Brad
09-21-2012, 08:29 PM
You can also use a cable noodle to get a sharper 90 degree bend if you need one.

Brad

arms10
09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
So put the hold below the dr and let the cable run over the spring on the dr?

I think it would depend on where the spring is placed on the dr. If it's a bottom pull, you should be able to find a spot under the dr to braze the cable hold so when you run the cable, it won't touch the spring. The picture looks like the cable is resting on the spring, but it's about 3/16" inches away.

Ticktock
09-21-2012, 10:59 PM
HI Mark,
Here is my solution, in the attached pics.
Basically, I welded a home made cable stop (think that's the right word) to the side of the botton bracket clamping plates.
It is positioned so that the cable runs down between the two bolts .
Mounted thus way, it mloves when you adjust the bottom bracket. Welding to the frame creates a problem if the BB is moved.
It is not easy to photograph when fully assembled, so excuse the photo quality.
Thisis for a bottom pull derailer, which is best choice.

Hope that helps,
Steve G,
Beijing