PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy appliance paint - Anyone used it on their build?

RV3maker
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
An aircraft builder friend of mine mentioned that he has used epoxy appliance paint with great success. He claims it is very hard, durable and holds up to abuse very well. He swears by the Ace Hardware brand, which he says is the cheapest.

I am going to be painting my Warrior as soon as it is too miserable outside to ride it and was curious if anyone else has used it.

Rob
:wings:

TexasTuff
11-09-2012, 03:06 PM
I haven't used it Rob, but have thought about it. Have you noticed if it comes in colors other than white.

ken will
11-09-2012, 03:37 PM
the "Krylon" brand comes in at least white, black, or almond.

RV3maker
11-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I haven't used it Rob, but have thought about it. Have you noticed if it comes in colors other than white.

As ken will mentioned about Krylon, the Ace brand also comes in white, black and almond. My Warrior was going to be white with black components . . .so it would work for me. It would be cool if they may a silver color . . .but I have not seen it . . .as of yet.

TexasTuff
11-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Krylon has one other color Bisque. Another light color tan.
RustOleum has 5 colors. Black, White, Almond, Biscuit and Stainless. Stainless is a silver color Rob.

A note on the RustOleum site. Spray on 2-3 light coats a few minutes apart; no primer needed. Really? No Primer?

I'm going into town today for other things, I'll get some epoxy paint for my Spirit. The weather is turning bad this weekend so I can't paint, but it will give me time for the prep work. I really have to check out that RustOleum "Stainless" color. Well, I have surgery on Wednesday and a few ambulatory days after that and I can't paint. I'll paint the following week for sure. Maybe. I really hate to take a bike down to paint.

Radical Brad
11-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I wonder what would happen if you mixed a bit of paint color into the white?

Brad

TexasTuff
11-10-2012, 11:50 AM
What I've been looking at is spray cans, but if it comes in pints or quarts I don't see any reason that mixing colors could not be used in white.
When I painted the DeltaWolf I bought a can of paint hardener to use. I was still disappointed in the finish. I hope using an epoxy paint will help. If it is better on the Spirit I'll go back and repaint the DeltaWolf.

RV3maker
11-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I have to go to the home improvement store tomorrow and I am going to pick up a can of black. I want to do a couple test pieces, one with some self etching primer and one without primer and see how they compare. I will post some pictures when done.

zombiker2012
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
I used Rustoleum "stainless steel" epoxy appliance paint on my lwb recumbent (see "space ghost" in the gallery) and I like it. Nice satiny color, good even coverage, seems tough. I sprayed various types of paint on a piece of galvanized conduit, some over self-etching primer, and the epoxy paint (no primer) held up to the scrape test better than all others. Tough to get anything to cling to conduit but this stuff did pretty good.

RV3maker
01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info! I got side tracked on another build and haven't had time to experiment. This current project has some emt tubing to paint.....sounds like the way to go.

Rob
Warrior completed
Tricruiser (prone) in work