PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive to fumes, dust

Huggy2
11-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Love building AZ bikes (half way thru Aurora build) but might have to quit because chest and lungs hurting from dust and fumes.
I use a respirator for welding fumes and dust, fans, dust collector and wide open garage door.
I'm Argon/Co2 gas MIG welding. Even 30 minutes causes irritation.
I've run out of ideas short of moving everything outside.
Anyone experiencing this issue?
Would appreciate any solutions.
Huggy2

darnthedog
11-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Are you using a cartridge respirator or a dust mask? A cartridge full face will reduce the fumes further but it is not very comfortable way to work for me anyway. Hard to breath through those things. Also are you grinding and welding on galvanized steel? or plated steel of any sort. This can also cause irritations.

Huggy2
11-20-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm using a cartridge respirator and not welding or grinding galvanized or plated. Only MS.
Probably working too long in smoky plastic factories has caught up with me, unfortunately.

wonderer
11-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Huggy2,

There are many differant types of cartriges for respiraters, depending on usage & remember bad particulates hang around for some time after welding or grinding (inother words wear your respirater for some time after welding or grinding)

They even have powered (fan assisted) back mounted filter units.

Sometimes any restriction to air flow can cause breathing difficulty.

Have a friend that woodworks, wearing a respirater & a face shield both is tough.

Good Luck at finding a solution...............wonderer