PDA

View Full Version : improving your mig welder

savarin
12-09-2012, 09:38 PM
I cannot remember if this has been posted before but here it is again just in case.
I have boosted the duty cycle in my welder by the very simple expedient of replacing the woosey little fan in the housing with a much larger stronger one.
Its gone from being able to weld for 4-5 mins on full power to going as long as I want without so far cutting out.

river
12-09-2012, 11:09 PM
That's a great tip, I love it when people share them. We should have a sticky on tips Thanks Savarin, great tip

savarin
01-10-2013, 09:30 PM
And another simple improvement I made the other day.
I replaced the wire liner with a lined shimano brake cable.
Simple task but the wire feed is now way much smoother.

charlie_r
01-11-2013, 06:40 AM
That is an interesting little tidbit, Savarin. I'll have to try that.

Thanks!

macka
04-08-2013, 07:29 PM
good tip, you can also bump the trigger solenoid up to improve reliability, and response

Big Moe
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
A piece of wax paper behind reel also smooths out the feed.
Big Moe - three wheels and an old crank

go1000go
04-09-2013, 01:29 PM
I was getting so frustrated with my mig, until I found these two mods/improvements on another forum website.
The first one overcomes the poor design of wire feed, where the top roller is on a plastic cantilever, which mine snapped, and after super glueing on a couple of times, was finally resolved by adding the not so pretty metal plate which transfers the force so the roll is now parallel to the drive roller.

The second mod is probably good practice and that is having the inner feed tube as close to the drive wheel as possible.
Since doing the mods have had trouble fee welding and even managed to run the last half of a 5kg spool