PDA

View Full Version : A Streefox named Desire

sandman
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Now how,s that for a title ?
At long last have found time to start my parters Streetfox, and the name seems apropriate as mine ended up as Marengo so hers had to be called Desire( both are names of napoleons horses at Waterloo)and the trikes are our steeds:).
I have tinkered around with the cross beam a little for ease of assembly which has proved to be very accurate( 0.5mm variation on diagonal measurement from end of cross beam to front of main tube between both sides)
Thats the state of play so far, the only annoyance was the chop saw died and ended up milling the angles on the CNC,That not to say its any better, just I can screw up with a higher degree of precision :jester:.Next on the list is the front axle mounts, photos to follow as work progresses
John

Radical Brad
01-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks for sharing. Interesting take on the boom design as well.

Cheers!
Brad

sandman
02-01-2013, 04:19 PM
I had a little time to play today and managed to make the front axle mounting tabs, as all zombies do, I departed a bit from Brads excellent guidelines and ended up with this
its a little bit of overkill really but its my partners new trike so I can justify it to myself ( dont anyone dare say I am a big softy HAHA)
regards
John

OwnBrandCorn
02-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Where did you get the steel for the axle tabs from?

That's where I'm stalled. Can't do with paying for a big lump when I only want a little bit.

trikedoc
02-08-2013, 10:32 PM

That's where I'm stalled. Can't do with paying for a big lump when I only want a little bit.

If you don't have 1/2" bar stock you can use 2 pieces of 1/4" cut, drilled, shaped. then clamp together and weld the seams all the way around. clean up the edges with grinding or sanding disc

sandman
02-09-2013, 04:59 AM

All the small metal parts come outof my scrap metal bins ( I have a machine shop, so there is always od bits left over)
Its worth visiting a few engineering places and see if they will sell or give you some odds and ends,, Steel scrap is worth nothing these days and I frequently get home engineers round , it does me a favour gettng rid and helps them out too.
regards
John

OwnBrandCorn
02-09-2013, 10:34 AM
whereabouts are you located?

sandman
02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi OwnBrandCorn
I am in Brighton Sussex, If you want to pay the postage I have a couple of axle tabs machined to take 14mm - 5/8" axles kicking about spare you can have if that helps any
John

sandman
02-23-2013, 02:14 PM
A bit more progress on the Streetfox, spent this morning pipe strangling to make the seat frame, this time I have used 7/8" x 18 swg steel tube, the previous one on Marengo was 7/8" 16swg aluminium.My poor little bender just about coped with the steel, got it welded up too but that was a splash and dash on thin tube, but its produced a nice rigid frame. I plan on putting USS on it as her ladyship ( who will be riding it) wants that HAHA .....
pics of fox so far, the brake caliper shown is underneath on the left and on top on the right and cable pull points reversed just ,to give a neater cable routing, well thats the theory!!!
Thats it so far
John

DannyC
06-07-2013, 03:18 PM
John,

Wow! I like your bike.
I just joined the krew and I am collecting the "bits" for a StreetFox. I love the front boom modification.
I should imagine cutting the slot for the main beam in the front boom helps with the clearance for the ackerman tie-rod too.
Are there no further pics since your last update? It would be great to see your finished bike.

sandman
06-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Hi DannyC, hope these load http://s20.postimg.org/5tshj2t3x/Finished.jpg http://s20.postimg.org/dnt34h0wt/Pilot_and_co_pilot.jpg don't seem to be able to start a new line for some reason regards John